Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #1  

Question Weight Loss?

Weight loss?
okay, so I know almost everything there is to know about losing weight effectively. I love to give advice to people on how to lose weight. Am I in good shape? Hellz no! I am 50 lbs overweight and 21 years old in college. I know all this stuff about losing weight, yet I cannot apply to myself. Why am I not strong enough to do this? I can barely resist eating. I love food so much. Taco bell, pizza, quesadillas, hot pockets, cola, the list goes on. I am addicted to food, I eat when I'm not hungry because I crave the taste of it. I have asked for the strength to resist these temptations but to no avail. It seems hopeless that I will ever be average weight. I dont' need weight loss advice per se...I need ways to become strong enough to resist my strongest temptations...any suggestions?
spenceriowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #2  
Transforming through God

I personally believe for me, this is a spiritual battle occuring in the physical world. I never succeeded in weight loss before because I was relying on my own understanding and 'willpower' and not on God. That is just my take on it. I have lost almost 40lbs so far with this method and am writing a blog/video blog about my journey.

I have a long way to go but I believe that I will get there Good luck!
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #3  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I find that exercise helps motivate me to eat better. It's hard to run with a burger, fries, and shake sloshing around in my stomach. And making small changes may create a track record of success that will motivate you to do more. I gave up soda first then I gave up other things, but it took me many years to stop fast food. Keep at it and good luck.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I really can't tell you how not to give in to your indulgences. It's something you just have to do.

One way to begin to get a handle on it is to write down everything you eat. Not to change it, just to see what it is. Carry a small notebook with you, or use your palm device, cellphone, whatever. Whenever you eat or drink something, write it down. Pizza, cola, hot pockets, write it all down.

This exercise helps you to become conscious of what you're doing, rather than just going from one impulse to the next. It's easy to forget what you've already eaten in a day, if you're eating impulsively to satisfy your mouth's desires.

After you've done this for a week, you'll be in a better position to really get what it is you're doing. Then you may wish to change it. Or not! It's up to you.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 04-22-2010 at 09:13 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/237/170

Height: 5'8"

I agree with the exercising. As long as I am exercising, I tend to stay on track with my eating better. I make sure the exercises I do make me sweat and there always has to be a point in my exercise where it is literally kicking my hieny.......thus later, I am saying to myself "I am not eating that because it would take me 30 min of jog/walk just to burn it off and it won't even fill me up that much".....lol. I have also learned the hard way....that I can't totally count out all the "bad food", at least once a week I will fit that oatmeal cream pie into my fat/calorie/carb count for the day. I used to be "it's all or nothing" I was setting myself up for failure and I didn't even know it. I would eventually give in-and not just one thing-it would be a whole day or a whole week of giving in. I have found now that I give myself the "bad food" every once in a while, it satisfies me and I move on from that point staying on target.
abreezies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #6  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

It's different for everyone.

When I first started, I was terrible about thinking along the lines of "I ate a healthy breakfast, I can eat Mcdonalds for dinner." Sure, my healthy breakfast was a good choice, but it was cancelled out by the bad choices I made for the rest of the day. And I'm like you, I can eat all day long without ever feeling full (and I'm talking about seriously eating, it would be nothing for me to eat a whole pizza after having Taco Bell an hour earlier...and then half a cake for dessert...everyday). So, I have a lot of room to make bad choices, lol.

I'm a visual person, and I started making graphs and charts of everything. This sounds really cheesy, but it did help me...I got cheapo stickers, made a big chart for every hour that I'd be awake (my chart was 7am-11pm for a week). For every hour that I didn't make a bad choice or go off plan, I'd put a sticker on that box. If I gave into a craving, I wouldn't get a sticker. For me, a visual thinker, seeing a day with many stickers missing was ugly, so I avoided making those bad decisions. As I went on, I was only satisfied with completely stickered days.

Now I only did this for the first 10lbs or so, but it definitely got me going. It kept me accountable all day, everyday, and it showed me my patterns. I found that I was missing the most stickers around bedtime, sure enough, I love to snack before bedtime. I shifted my plan to accomodate for that.

You just need to find something that will give you that initial burst of motivation. But, whatever plan you choose needs to be maintainable enough to carry on with determination when the initial motivation wears off.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

You DO need dieting advice. It sounds to me that you have a lot of opinions about what works, or what should work, only you can't do that. The trick is to find a way to diet that you can do, instead of the one that you think should work for you.

My mother has great dieting tips and advice. For years and years and years, I followed my mother's diet whenever I wanted to lose weight. It doesn't work at all for me: doing exactly what she does left me cranky, miserable, guilty and fat. Our personalities and body chemistry are completely different. But she DOES know a lot about diets--just not the stuff I need to know.

I guess what I am suggesting is that you may be being closed-minded. You think you've decided on the "right way" to do this and you need to change you to fit that plan. Changing you--your basic personality--is hard. Find a plan that works for you as you are.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

Well I haven't been at this as long as some of the others above me have been. Only really since February but in the beginning I knew that eating was the biggest problem for me. I use to come home after school and have a "snack" and then another snack and so on until dinner and then after dinner I would eat some more. I wasn't eating because I was hungry I was eating because I was bored and well really liked the taste of food, too. That has been a problem since I was a little kid.
The thing is that at least you realize that you have a problem with eating now instead of later. I think that maybe at first limiting yourself to how much of something you have could be helpful. That's what I did. Look at the nutrition information on the boxes/packages. Taco bell? Get one of their "healthier" options when you go there, have half a quesadilla but just measure it out and have some veggies with it, back a yummy healthy sandwich that rivals any hotpocket. Take baby steps into this thing, I mean I wouldn't just cut all the foods out all together.
The urge to resist can be hard, a lot of us have those bad days, but in the end that's a you-thing. What I mean is that you need to find the reason not to eat that extra slice of pizza or that hot pocket when your bored. It can be hard sometimes but just think of what good can come out of not having all that extra food.
And it's not hopeless, it really isn't. Why do you say that? Weightloss can be overwhelming, I kept up my bad habits because the thought of taking all the time and energy to lose weight was too much for me but know I know different. You can lose weight, you can be the person you want to be, you just have to make it happen, you know? I'm not sure how else to put it but it can happen if you want it to.

Last edited by bunnythesAINT; 04-23-2010 at 09:33 AM.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #9  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I love food so much. Taco bell, pizza, quesadillas, hot pockets, cola, the list goes on. I am addicted to food, I eat when I'm not hungry because I crave the taste of it.
Well, of course you crave that stuff - your body is programed to crave fats, sugars, and sodium. Those things are necessary to human survival and used to be rare so your body is designed to want them. However, they sure aren't rare now and most of the versions easily available to us are unhealthy - all those transfats and HFCS are tricking your brain and messing with your body.

I still can't drive past a BK without my mouth watering. I could never choose between the bacon double cheese burger or their original fried chicken sandwich so I'd just get both, say I'd save one for later, and then eat them right away. Those things are addictive - the fats, the sodium, and those other clever flavor enhancers they add - if you get one today you'll want two tomorrow.

Grandmother's homemade chocolate cake is just as addictive because of the wonderful memories and positive associations just with one whiff.

Personally I'm willing to cut grandma some slack and have a small piece of cake but I'll be d****d if I'll let some multinational corporation mess with my tastebuds and health just so they can make a couple bucks.

Every one of us at this site loves food, craves certain foods, and somehow or another is finding the strength to take control of our lives. Maybe you realize the toll it is taking on your health, maybe it's a cute guy who you hope will look your way, maybe it's your beautiful children you want to be able to run with, or that special dress you'd about kill to fit in to.

Find your reason(s), something that really matters to you, and slowly you'll find the willpower. You'll get plenty of support here but you're the one who will have to do the hard work day-to-day.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #10  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
You DO need dieting advice. It sounds to me that you have a lot of opinions about what works, or what should work, only you can't do that. The trick is to find a way to diet that you can do, instead of the one that you think should work for you.
i agree, if you know what works, but it's not working for you, then thats a problem. you need to figure out what does work for you.

also, i hate to be the voice of dissent, but maybe you're just not ready yet. the only way i was able to commit and not give into temptation was when i got to the point where i was SOOOOO sick of being fat that the sacrifices were worth it to me. for a few years before that i was fat and i whined about it a lot, i started diets but would give up. i just kept eating. you sorta have to hit rock bottom sometimes.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #11  

Height: 6-1.5

I think that all the talk about "changing your philosophy," is really the only way to do it. Right now I am unemployed and must decide what to spend a very small amount of resources on. I have to look at the food I buy from a nutritional viewpoint. I think that rationing, an old fashioned idea, and budgeting really helps. If you know you can only have a cup of rice, a chicken part, some veggies, and so on, because you will blow your food budget, then you need to do it. Eating out is way expensive, so are treats, snacks and liquor. I think creating a food budget and sticking to it, as well as creating a daily food consumption budget is the only way to lose weight. Yes, calories are involved because when you make out your budgets, you need to also give yourself enough to live on and to fulfill your daily activities.

I firmly believe that most people gained weight-- whether they will admit to it or not-- by over-eating, and strictly a lock between you and the pantry door will cause you to lose weight.

Last edited by giselley; 04-23-2010 at 05:32 PM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote