General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #1  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Default Off Topic...Tennessee Chickies!

Hi all...I am moving to Nashville I guess somewhere in July, and I am wondering if there are any of you in the Nashville area who would like to be friends. I will be going down there totally alone, without a job, and no where to live as of yet.
Anyhow, it would be great to get to know some of you! Thanks in advance, ~Sara
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #2  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I’m not in Nashville, but I’m in Chattanooga and visit Nashville pretty often. I have a really good (single, guy…lol, don’t know what your situation is) friend there. I love Nashville…it’s so pretty in a lot of places. I hope you love it too, good luck with your move!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #3  
On my way

Oh great! Maybe we can meet up for coffee some time! I have a car, and I'll be willing to travel around too! And as for my situation...I am free and easy, and there is nothing holding me down. I am only sort of open minded though lol! Anywho...Thanks Thicknpretty!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/154("Normal" BMI)

Height: 5'6"

I'm in Nashville...work there, but actually live in a little town just northwest of the city...but when DH & I go out, we go into Nashville...

are you an musician/singer? is that y you're choosing Nashville w/no job or place to live?? or is this a place you just want to live???
KDM322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #5  
On my way

KDM322- How did you know??? LOL I guess I am what you would call the archetypal Singer/Songwriter. I have been wanting to move down since I was 14...(I am turning 21 in 3 weeks)...and I had applied to all the major schools in the area, but there was one problem or another with most. SO...I have decided to just wing it!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #6  

Well, good for you!!! I'm glad you're finally deciding to follow your dream. There are a TON of singer/songwriters down here ( as i'm sure you know) and I'm sure you'll love it here!!! you should check out craigslist for a place to live...we chose to live outside of Davidson County (Nashville) so that it would be cheaper, but the drive sucks!!! If I had to re-do it, I'd find somewhere WAAAY closer to the city...if you're the artsy type of neighborhood, look for something in East Nashville...VERY cute houses and I think some are for rent...it's like a 5min drive to downtown...Green Hills is more ritzy...Inglewood is kinda "ify", directly DOWNTOWN is REALLY EXPENSIVE...West End (near Vanderbilt) is pricy too...if you find a place you think you might like BEFORE you move down, you can let me know and I'll see if I can give you any advice on the area...being 21yo single white female, we want ya to be safe All my co-workers are from here so they're very familiar with the different areas and can tell me if it's a safe/good place to live...GOOD LUCK!! AND, let me know when you finally move, I'd love to hear ya perform What kind of music do you write/sing???
Old 04-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I had a music internship down there a couple of summers ago and loved every single minute of it. The people are fabulous and you will be in good company!

I lived in Sylvain Park on the West End. LOVED it. Beautiful neighborhood and so close to the city. I rented a room in a house. It couldn't have been a better experience. I paid about $450, which is stee for a room, but it was worth it to me to have roomates that were awesome and a super convenient location in a nice neighborhood.

I met so many people who were young and setting out on their own (many in music) and people tend to look out for each other. It's not LA!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #8  
On my way

KDM322- I have visited Nashville 3 times, and I have been all around and checked out most areas...but you are right: Safety is a big concern for me; hopefully I'll be able to move into a room-mate situation. And I did apply to Vanderbilt...I may still get accepted, but even with my 3.5 gpa its iffy. I LOVE to sing Country and Jazz (old style country, not the Taylor Swift/Carrie Underwood type stuff)...And when I write (although I am fairly new to writing, and still trying to develop my style) it comes out kind of Christian.
And thanks SO MUCH for the advice, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it...I'll make sure to keep you posted about what happens!

JuneBug: That internship sounds like it was so much fun! I would have loved to do something like that, but I need $$$ and I am sick of establishments. LOL Belmont gave me the run around and turned me off of scholastic type things. Where, or what type (as in in was it school related) of internship was it...if you don't mind my asking???
Old 04-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #9  
Let's do this!

If you're looking for a school, aside from Belmont there is Middle Tennessee State in Murfreesboro (sp?), which has an excellent music industry program- one of the best in the country. Belmont is great, but it's not the only game in town.

I interned for the Recording Academy (Grammys). Any formal internship will have to be sanctioned by a university. Most labels, PRS's or publishers will require you to be a student and to receive college credit- it gets them out of paying you. If it's singing you're into and you're not going to college, then you could always work at one of the honky tonks tending bar- the old fashioned way. It really doesn't matter if you are interning or not (you have to be a student). If it's performing, then you NEED to be there and be immersed, KWIM?

and FWIW, I went to school in Colorado and only interned out there. I did not go to school in TN.

Last edited by junebug41; 04-20-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #10  
On my way

JuneBug-That is why I am not too worried about going to school, (although it would make me feel more secure for sure)...I know in the end it probably won't help much for the singing bit...And what you suggested is exactly what I want to do! I want to get a job asap at one of the bars or restaurants w/ live music down town...So I can wiggle myself into a position where they let me perform...and most of all I can meet other musicians! Thanks! This chat is great, it is helping me to feel a lot less worried/scared!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #11  
Let's do this!

And just a note- even singers need formal training A LOT of famous singers and musicians I know of went to college to help them with their chops and savviness. Don't discount the power of a good education, no matter what your passion.

end//soapbox.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #12  
On my way

I did go to college for that...I just have not finished yet. A performance degree is not the type of thing that would help me get a specific job...and I had reached the point where the program started to become less focused on personal skill...so I skipped out on it. I got into Belmont...but they were really rude to me, and made fun of me when I visited. And I did apply to Vandy...(which has always been my dream school)...but if I don't get in there, I do not plan on making any other scholastic concessions (at least not until a good opportunity comes along).
Old 04-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #13  

THEY WERE RUDE TO YOU!?!?! How in the world did they make fun of you?? that's just UNprofessional!!! GOOD LUCK WITH VANDY!!! Would you stick w/the performance degree, or do something else??
Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #14  
On my way

KDM322- Yeah, it seemed that they were prejudiced because I am a yankee...They said something derogatory about my being from Brooklyn, New York...and then insinuated that I was Jewish (which I am not, but what's it to them if I was?)...And then made some Barbara Streisand joke. And these were the ppl who were auditioning me! (obvi not the environment I want for myself).

I applyed to Vandy for a political Science program...I have always been interested in that, and it's a little more practical. besides, I don't like Vandy's music program. However it'll take nothing short of a miracle to get me accepted there...that is why I am so avidly looking for apartments and such!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:02 AM   #15  

Yeah, I get the "yankee" comment all the time! even tho I'm from WV and I don't consider myself a yankee! haha But that is really unprofessional of the auditioners to do that! Keep us updated on Vandy...maybe you could apply to TSU also (not that I know anything about that school) but I know it's a big one here in the city...GOOD LUCK!!