View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 AM   #23
JulieJ08

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belease View Post
I don't know if this is true or false, and to me it seems slightly homophobic, but just throwing it out here as it's relevant to the discussion, but I remember reading a discussion of western ideals of beauty for women, specifically to do with weight, in which the fashion industry was blamed for setting these false ideals. The article claimed that male fashion designers - mostly gay - were striving to employ defeminised women to show off their clothes. I can't remember if the article said it was to do with them wanting the models to be more masculine in shape, or just less feminine, nor can I remember where I read it!
I don't know. It always seems to me the gay community embraces a very feminine body, or at least not a super skinny one. Certainly drag queens do . I think the skinny thing is just a phenomenon of fashion, vastly compounded by instant worldwide media.