Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/210/140

Height: 5'4

Default Finding/Making time to exercise...

So this may seem a bit overkill, but I would love to know how people make time to exercise. Here's my day:
Alarm goes off at 6:15
Shower/make breakfast for me and my kiddo.
Make lunch for the kiddo
Leave for work at 7:30
Return from work at 5:30.
Make dinner
Play a bit
Go for a short walk with family
Kiddo's bath/bedtime is 8:00
9-10:30 Get stuff done
11:30 Bedtime

Extras...
Hubby is stay at home dad for now and does ALL housework, (for those people that tell me, "Have the hubby do lunches or dinners etc." He does dinner some nights and lunches some days, and laundry and playdates, etc. How do you amazing women find time in a schedule for exercise? I could try to go some days at lunch but I work in a pretty unsafe area and it's not a great idea. PLEASE HELP with your own schedules. All my friends that workout at gyms and go running are either stay at homers, part timers or part time Mommy's (joint custody).
beansmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

For me, there is NO time like first thing. There are no excuses at 5:00 AM. None. (Unless you are sleep deprived with little bitties! LOL! Been there!)

I am at the gym at 5:30 and plan to do so even this summer when I am not working.

It's also nice walking with the family in the evening though. But more often than not, we all decide we'd rather do other things. Morning is just the best for me.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #3  

Your right and I am not an evening exerciser. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #4  

I totally agree! If I don't leave for the gym at 5am on busy days I won't go. I really do enjoy going at that time when I can get myself there. I generally have to be consistent about going at that time for a week or two until I "get" how much it benefits me and how great I feel.

But it is SO HARD to get up that early, especially when it's cold! Good luck!
AbbiLoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I'm a 100% of the time single mom so I never get any "time off" like someone with shared custody does. And I can't get out on my own in the early morning because I can't leave my 5 year old home alone. Going to the gym is just not ever going to happen for me because even if I was willing to drag my son out of bed at 5 am, of course they don't have childcare that early. We don't get home until 6 pm as it is, so evenings are not an option either, even if I had enough energy then.

So I try to find things I can do at home, on my own schedule - Wii, exercise DVDs (actually, I use OnDemand on cable so I get a good variety without having to buy lot of different ones) and using my exercise bike which is in my bedroom because there is no other place for it. Not the best decor in the world but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right? I get up early and exercise at home before my son gets up, or on a weekend, I'll work out in my bedroom while he watches a movie in the living room.

I got a Gowear Fit and that has helped me figure out ways to add more movement into my normal routine if I want to hit my calorie burn target. So I'll get print stuff at a printer that's further away instead of the one by my desk or I'll get up and walk over to a co-worker's desk to ask a question instead of calling or emailing. I have been able to add about 200 calories a day to my burn that way - not huge, but it certainly adds up!

The other thing I've started doing is that when my son is at the playground, I walk around the perimeter of it. I can see him the whole time but he no longer needs me to be within a foot or two of where he's playing. It's not working perfectly - most of the time, he ends up wanting to walk with me, which would be ok but he still get easily distracted, wants to stop and look at things, etc. while I want to try to work up some momentum and go at a more steady pace. But I'm hoping it will be less interesting to him as time passes and he'll be more interested in playing while I get my walk in.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #6  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I have been blessed with a place of employment that has a gym in the building. At a previous job - I had one next door. Is there one very close by you could go to on your lunch break?

That probably isn't realistic for you = so I would agree with the PP who said to find something you can do at home - DVD's, Wii Fit, etc.

One of the best purchases I ever made was a jogging stroller on Craig's list for $25. They are awesome. You can plop your kiddo in it and be on your way (depending on how old he/she is - but I think mine would accommodate a 5 or 6 yr old pretty easily.) You could turn your short walk in the evening into a short jog.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/237/170

Height: 5'8"

I have a membership to the YMCA, most weekdays they have childcare there until 7:30 or 8:00......this has been the best thing for me with two young kids (3 and 6). The only bummer part about it is that I am spending one more hour away from them after being away from them all day.....but they like it and we only go 2-3 times a week (for my workouts). Then we spend a lot of time together on the weekend (sometimes they want to go to the YMCA to swim because we don't have enough time to swim during the week).
abreezies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #8  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I make time during my kids' nap, because that's the best time of the day to be uninterrupted. I tried doing it early in the morning but that was a recipe for disaster, I simply wasn't getting enough sleeping. The earliest I can reliably exercise is 8 am, but I do a bible study instead.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #9  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

BIKE COMMUTE DAYS
6:15 - Alarm goes off, I get up, immediately eat my first breakfast
6:30 - Shower, do hair, get dressed, pack up
7:15 - Get in car to drive to park & ride
7:30 - Ride bike to work
8:00 - Arrive at work, get changed, eat second breakfast
5:00 - Leave work on bike
5:30 - Arrive at car, drive home
6:00 - Arrive home, eat dinner cooked by husband, time with family
8:00 - Get ready for next day
8:30 - Relax with husband
10:00 - Bedtime

OTHER WORK DAYS
6:15 - Alarm goes off, I get up, immediately eat my first breakfast
6:30 - Strength training or other workout at home
7:15 - Shower, do hair, get dressed, pack up, eat second breakfast
8:00 - Drive kids to school, then drive to work
8:30 - Arrive at work
5:00 - Leave work
5:30 - Arrive home, eat dinner cooked by husband, time with family
8:00 - Get ready for next day
8:30 - Relax with husband
10:00 - Bedtime

So I'm getting an hour + of exercise on my bike-commuting days, and about 45 minutes on other days.

My husband who stays at home does all the grocery shopping, all the dinner-cooking, all the kids' lunch-making. He also generally does the dishes and the kids' laundry, but he is not much use for other housework.

My tips for success are: Make a rock-solid commitment to yourself, prep everything you can the night ahead, and enlist your mate to do everything you do not absolutely have to do yourself. (My husband can't take my shower for me, for example.)
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #10  

My son is 5. Your comments are all super helpful. I would love to get in some time on the on demand stuff. Some of it seems really cool, but small space where the TV is. I am gonna try some mornings. Another hour earlier doesn't seem too bad. What is a Gowear Fit?

It's funny. I've never used this or any forum for anything and I felt myself starting to feel guilty about asking for the help and feeling bad that others were having to give up their time to answer me. I'm a mental health therapist and suddenly I had an AH HA moment. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #11  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

All I can say is you just have to do it. I'm actually starting a new schedule Monday, before I was running with my 20 month old 5xs a week (I work 32 hours). But my son is starting school Monday and I'll start working 8hrs shifts 4xs a week. But here will my be new schedule
4:00 alarm goes off
4:10 get up
4:20 out for a run
5:30 shower and get ready
6:30 wake up son, feed him get him ready for school
7:15 in route to school
7:30 drop off
7:45 in route to work
8:00-5:00 work
5:00 in route home
5:15 take the dogs out, start dinner
6:00 Dinner
6:30 make son's lunch, get his bag packed for school, lay out cloths for him the next day, lay out my cloths, pack my lunch and breakfast for the next day
7:30 spend time with husband and son

Thursdays are my day off so I'll probably go running after I drop my son off at school, but I think I'm going to try to start some strength training on that day. The weekends I take will take off to rest, with the exception of some light walking.

So I'm going to make the commitment to getting up at 4AM something I'm not looking forward to right now, but know that I will adjust and at some point I'll like it, I love running so if this is the only way to fit it in well then...my point being sometimes we just have to make it work.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Beansmama -

Gowear Fit http://www.bodymedia.com/

It doesn't actually burn the calories or anything but because I'm seeing my calorie burn all day long, it provides the motivation to make me get up and move and try to hit the targets I've set. You could still perform the actions of making sure to get up and walk around for 5 minutes every hour without the GWF, but for me, seeing those numbers staring me in the face is a great kick in the butt!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #13  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Warmaiden, you drive to a place where you can bike to work? That's pretty cool. We have to drive to our bike trail, even though it's just across the street! LOL! I hate doing it, but it's too dangerous to cross the street!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #14  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Warmaiden, you drive to a place where you can bike to work? That's pretty cool. We have to drive to our bike trail, even though it's just across the street! LOL! I hate doing it, but it's too dangerous to cross the street!
My county is extremely bike-friendly, as we're on the Tour of California (a major pro cycling race) and very progressive culturally and politically. It wasn't as good for biking, 20+ years ago when I started bike commuting, but there are now wide bike lanes and good routes between cities, as well as good around-town biking in most cities.

If I had it in me physically, and I had the time, I'd bike the whole route (14 miles each way), but at this point in my life I have neither, so I drive, park, and then ride 6 miles each way. I love bike commuting so much.

Biking home on Friday afternoons is the best!
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 240/240/220

I exercise in the evening but it's all things I can do at home. I've been doing a lot of Wii exercises. It's a lot easier to fit into my schedule than going to a gym. Plus it saves me money.
highflyer is offline   Reply With Quote