Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-02-2006, 08:20 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Thumbs up Depression and Exercise

Its time for us to get up and move. Exercise is so important (even if I don't like to admit it) and I'll admit I'm the first offender. Lets start today by logging our exercise / movement into the January's Verb thread.

Exercise and Depression

What are the Benefits of Exercise?

Regular exercise has been proven to:
Reduce stress, anxiety, and depression
Boost self-esteem
Improve sleep

Exercise also has these health benefits:
Strengthens the heart
Makes the body better able to use oxygen
Builds energy levels
Lowers blood pressure
Improves muscle tone and strength
Strengthens and builds bones
Helps reduce body fat
Makes you look fit and healthy
Exercise and Depression: What's the Link?

Research has shown that exercise is an effective, but often underused, treatment for mild to moderate depression.

What Types of Exercise Treat Depression?

It appears that any form of exercise can help depression.

Do I Need to See My Healthcare Provider Before Starting an Exercise Program?

Most people can begin an exercise program without checking with their healthcare providers. However, people with a medical condition (such as diabetes or heart disease) and people who have not exercised much should check with their healthcare provider before starting any exercise program.

How Can I Begin Planning My Exercise Routine?

Here are some questions you can think about before choosing a routine:

What physical activities do I enjoy? (this is me !!! I need to enjoy it).
Do I prefer group or individual activities?
What programs best fit my schedule?
Do I have physical conditions that limit my choice of exercise?
What goals do I have in mind? (For example, weight loss, strengthening muscles, or improving flexibility or mood enhancement)

How Often Should I Exercise?

To get the most benefit, you should exercise at least 20 to 30 minutes, three times a week. Current studies suggest that four or five times a week is best. If you are a beginner, exercise for 20 minutes and build up to 30 minutes.

How Do I Get Started?

When starting out, you should plan a routine that is easy to follow and maintain. As the program becomes more routine, you can vary your exercise times and activities.

Choose an activity you enjoy. Exercising should be fun, not a chore.

Schedule regular exercise into your daily routine. Add a variety of exercises so that you don't get bored. Look into scheduled exercise classes at your local community center.

Exercise does not have to put a strain on your wallet. Avoid buying expensive equipment or health club memberships unless you are certain you will use them regularly.

Stick with it. If you exercise regularly, it will soon become part of your lifestyle.

What Should I Do If I Feel Pain During Exercise?

Never ignore pain. If you experience pain, rest. You may cause stress and damage to your joints and muscles if you continue exercising.

If you still feel pain two hours after exercising, you have done too much and need to decrease your activity level. Some mild soreness after exercise is normal. If pain persists or is severe, or you suspect you have injured yourself, contact your doctor right away.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/45/1663_51226.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default Fun and Affordable

It does help and I'm in the process of trying to find something fun (that I will stick with) and affordable (family plans at ymca, etc are expensive)
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:48 AM   #3  

I can vouch for the benefits of exercise. I have had recurrent severe depression for years. In the year I have been eating healthily and exercising regulary, I have been fine, and have had only had one panic attack in that time. I find exercise gives me "headspace" to put things in perspective. Swimming is one of my favourites, and the pool is one place I feel completely safe. Weight training has helped me too, as my body gets stronger, so does my mind.

I invested money in a monthly gym membership, the guys at my gym say I make up for all the people that sign up and only go five or so times then give up!!!

Give exercise a try, it may not work for you immediately, but hopefully, it will make as big a difference for your mind and wellbeing as it has for mine.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

Absolutely!!! A good dose of regular cardio/wts. makes a better mental lift than any drug that was prescribed for me.

Leenie, I don't post on the verb---I use another thread.....(because no one else was on the verb and I wound up talking to myself)
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:17 AM   #5  

Walking is the cheapest, easiest form of exercise then can work into intervals with a little jogging and then maybe do 5ks which is my plan. I was in great shape in my 30s but for various reasons have packed on 30 pounds. I walk as much as possible, preferably 4miles/an hour or so at a time as my goal is to increase mileage and definitely get back to jogging for real.
duseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:20 AM   #6  

You are doing great. I am currently lingering between high 160s and low 170s..want to get down to 160 by Valentines Day...and wear a new red dress not yet bought. My best way to get there is to keep my walking and get back to jogging, stick to my 1200 cal plan with j.c. and try not to cheat (an ongoing challenge).
duseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:02 PM   #7  

Exercise is a known benefit for depression and a host of other medical problems. Besides, it's fun and makes you feel good. I go to a park about 10 minutes drive from my house and walk around it..3 miles, it takes 45 minutes. I go to our local high school and swim in the brand new pool too, usually for 45 minutes. This is the secret to losing weight...especially as you grow older, lower intake of food if not enough. Good luck to all
Joan Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:54 AM   #8  

kylie if you are still around i would like to ask you a question.

how long did it take before you noticed the reduction in your depression. also did you have ongoing depression day in day out or did you have periods of depression and then periods that you were ok?

thanks!
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #9  
mookie-bren

started exercising about a month ago,really am getting into it'I've been putting this off long enough.lost 10 pounds got120 to go.
congradulations rather it's 10 or 60 pounds, that's great.
mookie-bren
mookie-bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I am currently walking 1.4 miles daily on my treadmill, using an exercise ball for sit-ups and push-ups and jumping rope occasionly . I have lost 73 total lbs. with low-carb dieting and have only 16 lbs. to goal. I think the exercise has helped me as much as the dieting. I had been very sedentary for years, but I am trying to get in good shape now. Have went from a size 20 to size 6 and 7's. Still have tummy weight to lose, but feel tons better.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #11  
Pinkroses

I am new here . It does help me to excerise being Diabetect I have to.
I find it does help with my depression. I have to take med for this too. I conitune with the excerising. PINKROSES
pinkroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:14 PM   #12  

Yeah! I agree, that exersise is cool and helping, but still with horse-riding twice a week and 30-minute walk three times a week and biking... I`m still overweight. I`m planning to get on diet pills soon.
Terii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:10 AM   #13  

S/C/G: sw 182/ cw 180/ wg/ 120

I'v been plaining on getting on hydroxtcut (diet pills) does anyone ever tried those and do they actually work?? OOoo and yea I get soo depressed over my weight
sweetchubbychick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 191/188/140

I have been on meds for two years..started about a years after returning from Iraq "I rolled in the day the war started and worked on medical EPWs". Anyways I exerice...take meds...and am still tired. It is refeshing to see I am not the only one trying to lose weight (gained 40 pounds last year only after dad died from cancer) and fighting this depression...any advice?

Last edited by spankiec; 05-11-2006 at 10:50 AM.
spankiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 191/188/140

I have tried a few supplements quicksilm and hotorx...and it boils down to exercise and eating well. I found those pills to give me a mini sort of "high"feeling, almost to much energy (sounds crazy). I have decided to stay clear of any of those pills and just take vitiams. B-5 can boost your energy if that is what you are looking for.
spankiec is offline   Reply With Quote