Old 04-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Quinoa - dry VS. cooked ??

Quick question, please if anyone can answer this I'd be very appreciative!

If .25C/45g is a serving of Quinoa...how much would that be cooked?? I have been searching the internet and tried spark people and it seems to range anywhere from 1/2c to 1c. I use Eden Organic brand. Any ideas???
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

I cooked quinoa the other day. 5oz dry (142 grams) yeilded about 2.5 cups cooked. I figured about 3/4 cup cooked is a serving.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I always weigh mine on my digital scale before cooking, then measure or divide after cooking, because quinoa doesn't always absorb water to the same degree every time. At least that's what I read, and it seems true to me. It can triple or even quadruple the pre-cooked volume. So 1/4 cup dry could yield 3/4 cups to 1 cup after cooking.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

dang it! Kaplods - I usually always do what you do..but tonight I just threw the rest of the bag in the slow cooker and ran to the gym....and it seems like I might have threw in about 3/4 c dry Im thinking - so maybe I'll measure that out....because I put in about 3 cups of water! silly me - I'll know for next time!

Perhaps - I'll call it 3/4 c serving cooked...give er take a few cals, im either over or under, so eventually it will equal itself out

Last edited by JennyG; 04-13-2010 at 06:01 PM.
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Unless you're eating many servings in a day, I think a guestimate is good enough. I find quinoa more filling than other grains, so I'm a little less obsessive about quinoa serving size than I am with say rice and corn.

I love my digital scale and even more for convenience than accuracy (no measuring cups to wash). I was taught to cook by sight and taste, rather than measurement, so being more precise doesn't come naturally. I have to think about it. It's been easier with quinoa because it's still a new enough ingredient to me (a couple years) that I can't just "eyeball it" and know that I've added enough cooking liquid. When it comes to ingredients I have a long history with, it's harder to remember. Sometimes I still realize only mid-pour that I'm using vegetable oil without measuring.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-13-2010 at 06:20 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote