Old 04-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #1  
Philly Dancing Queen

S/C/G: 265/245/170

Height: 5 ft3

Default Follow Up to Telling Thin Peeps About Being Fat

I wrote last week about freaking my trainer out with my "too real" food diary, in which I ate cheesecake for breakfast. What? What? Apparently all the people in his world live on egg whites, protein shakes and broiled chicken.

Several people suggested I find another trainer. I understand why, but none of the trainers at the gym listed a specialty of working with overweight people. And I like my big gay gym, where it's 90 percent male eye candy.

The trainer is a nice guy, he's just sort of a "throw yourself in the deep end" kind of person. If you ask a question about healthy snacks, he suddenly starts talking about getting a Magic Bullet (that wasn't what I thought it was at first, ahem) and making protein/fiber shakes.

I had a talk with my trainer and I'm backing off from the food diary for a while. He was also open enough to read the When Food Is Love book. Yes, I gave my trainer homework.

My goal for April is to work out 3x a week at the gym and one other time at home and have 2 out of my 3 meals be healthy ones instead of 3 high-fat meals a day, which is what I've BEEN doing.

Just fyi, I can leg press 260. I'm a frigging leg pressing monster!

Thanks for all your support and suggestions! Dawn
toomuchmoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Thanks for the update! That's great that he was willing to read the book, meet you half-way. I think it shows something about his character (something good!).

good luck, and congrats on the leg press!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Sounds good!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #4  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

That is awesome! I'm happy you're happy. And it sounds like you are a strong person (figuratively and literally - ha!) who stands up for herself. I admire you for that. And kudos to your trainer for being open to learning and all. Sounds like you might have the beginnings of a great partnership.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Hey Moxie..I thought your post was interesting, so I peeked at your bio...had to laugh...I thought I was the only one to use that line. Keep on !
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #6  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Sounds like you're making it work for you. Good deal.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #7  

I'm glad you found a way to make the situation better! I haven't heard of "When Food Is Love" but I bet it's something that will help that guy professionally! WTG and keep it up.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #8  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Glad you were able to talk to him and get it worked out!! Keep up the great work!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #9  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I went back and read your other post. A fitness instructor who lives in Philly and doesn't know what to say to someone who eats cheesecake for breakfast? It's a city that's been in the news for having a high rate of obesity; http://whyy.org/cms/news/regional-ne...-smoking/34232).

Instead of the journal being too real, I think he's not real enough, actually. How does he think people become obese?

I mean, I'm sure you can get something out of working with this guy, no matter what his level of knowledge on the spectrum of eating habits out there (and it strikes me that a trainer should have some inkling of what eating problems/issues his clients may face; though if he wants to keep himself on the level of spending a few sessions showing someone how to exercise safely and effectively, that's obviously his choice).

enjoy the sessions and the gym! you're making lots of great changes!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote