Old 04-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #1  
fat-fighting ninja!

S/C/G: 276/seeticker/235

Height: 5'7

Question Circuit training??

Hello everyone..

I was wondering If anyone out there in this cyber community does circuit training.. Im thinking about doing it tonight when i roll to the gym.. But if the guy who i usually ask all my questions inst there.. i want to know exactly what to do.. I dont feel comfortable enough to ask some of the females who work there.. they dont look..... very approachable.... but i sure can ask the one of the guys who works there.. it helps that he is sooooo cute! So my main thing is have you done this before and what did you do so i have some ideas and make it work for me?
thanks a ton!

Last edited by 2phatinvictoria; 04-07-2010 at 05:56 PM.
2phatinvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #2  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Circuit training with weights (the original version of circuit training) basically sends you from machine to machine, doing a few sets of reps with a light weight at each one. The aim is to keep moving and varying the body part you're working throughout the circuit, so you are getting aerobic as well as anaerobic benefit. Then you rest a few minutes at the end of the circuit, and begin again. It really only works well in a gym if you're using free weights, or if it's not crowded and you know you'll be able to get the machines you need when you need them. Here's a sample plan:

Quote:
BEGINNER'S FULL-BODY CIRCUIT ROUTINE

A full-body circuit is a good option for your first few weeks in the gym, especially if squeezing time to work out into your schedule is your biggest concern. You'll be able to complete the workout in as little as 20 to 30 minutes, moving through the entire circuit once or twice. This will get you in the habit of working out, which you can build on later.

You might also consider a circuit if you're coming back from an injury or a long layoff, Pena says. "Practically speaking, when guys have had to lay off, circuit training allows them to reintroduce their bodies to basic movements. If you choose a machine-only circuit, you can concentrate on the major muscle groups without worrying that the synergistic muscles that aid in support and balance are going to give way."

Instructions: Research has shown that beginners can benefit from learning machines first, and that they can enjoy results from as little as one exercise per body part. Start with the larger body parts first--legs, back, shoulders and chest--and work your way to the smaller body parts--triceps, biceps, calves and abs. Perform 12 to 20 reps per exercise, preferably with a light weight, one that provides a challenge but allows you to complete all the reps. Learn the movement correctly first, and then try to push yourself to lift more later.

WORKOUT

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Horizontal leg-press
machine 1-3 15
Machine row 1-3 10-12
Wide-grip pull-down 1-3 10-12
Pec-deck 1-3 10-12
Lateral-raise machine 1-3 10-12
Machine preacher curl 1-3 10-12
Triceps press-down 1-3 10-12
Slanted calf-raise machine 1-3 20
Crunch 1-3 20

* Rest 2-4 minutes between circuits.
Another version of circuit training has you moving from weight machine to weight machine also, but doing some sort of aerobic exercise in between to keep your heart rate up (also good while waiting for the next machine to come into use). The trouble with this type in a gym setting is that unless others are also doing circuits, you can easily run into someone who is taking more time on a machine, doing all their sets at once, and you won't be able to get the machine when you need it.

Unless your gym is set up specifically for circuits (like Curves is, I think), I'd suggest doing your own circuit using free weights. With weights and a bench, you can move from exercise to exercise without having to actually move to another "station". You have to have some familiarity with free weight exercises, though. This is what I do when I lift at home.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I don't do circuits in a gym but I do them at home and it is my favorite way to workout Good luck with it and keep us updated ♥
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #4  
fat-fighting ninja!

Welll at the gym i go to the have the 3 sets of every weight machine all three sets are in different areas so its never busy.. then in middle of the room like 5 steps away from weight.. the have stair things that you can do in between im off to check it out.......
Old 04-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
I don't do circuits in a gym but I do them at home and it is my favorite way to workout Good luck with it and keep us updated ♥
Just curious how you do circuits at home as it usually has 9-11 machines.And they are pretty big for the average home.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #6  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Well, to me circuit training is a mix of uhh cardio and weight/strength "circuits". I am sure there's no definite on what circuits can or do contain so for me those are my circuit training

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_training

Last edited by Onederchic; 04-07-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Kate...we DO circuit training you goof! <3
JessicaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Just curious how you do circuits at home as it usually has 9-11 machines.And they are pretty big for the average home.
Circuit training at its most basic is merely interspersing cardio (jogging, marching, jumping jacks) with resistance training (weight lifting). It became popular at gyms using weight machines, but the concept can be done with free weights as well. No machines needed.

When I do circuit training at home, I set up my weights ahead of time -- barbell, dumbells, etc -- for ease of switching off. I use lighter weights than normal, and do 1-3 sets of 8-10 reps for one exercise, then switch weights if necessary to do the next one. The key is to keep moving, rather than resting in between. If my heart rate begins to slow too much, I do some marching before my next exercise.

If you are used to free weights, then it's fairly easy to set up a routine that works all the major muscle groups. You can even set up routines that use only dumbbells (I did that when we had to put the bench in storage for a time).
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 249.9/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2phatinvictoria View Post
Welll at the gym i go to the have the 3 sets of every weight machine all three sets are in different areas so its never busy.. then in middle of the room like 5 steps away from weight.. the have stair things that you can do in between im off to check it out.......

I see we are both in Victoria. Where do you work out? I've been looking for a gym buddy! I'm just not comfortable going alone, but I'm hoping to find someone to go with me.
autumns19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #10  

Height: 5'5"

Yes I do it every other day and I love it. I have very defined muscles now. Can't wait to see what they look like with less fat on them though.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumns19 View Post
I see we are both in Victoria. Where do you work out? I've been looking for a gym buddy! I'm just not comfortable going alone, but I'm hoping to find someone to go with me.
I'm from Victoria too! Small world
2phat and I go to Steve Nash's Fitness World on Douglas/Cloverdale, it's a great atmosphere there
Old 04-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #12  
To be fit and FLY....

Height: 5'6"

Hey 2Phat....I just started at the gym this week....there is a 30 min. workout circuit there that I plan on doing 2 times a week, maybe 3.

It's pretty simple really. Try it out
Summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #13  
fat-fighting ninja!

yay from being in victoria!!! you should check out fitness world.. if you dont wanna go alone ill go with you and so will jessica dawn she just doesnt know it yet!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2phatinvictoria View Post
yay from being in victoria!!! you should check out fitness world.. if you dont wanna go alone ill go with you and so will jessica dawn she just doesnt know it yet!!!

Kate (2phat) and I both have a guest pass worth 3 free visits, we could both "sponsor" you if you want to join us, then you'd have 6 free visits at least
A warning though, there's lots of laughter, sweat and tomato face going on (sweat = kate, tomato face = me, laughter = both of us laughing at each other)