South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: maintaining

Unhappy Where did my willpower go?

Ok - I have overeaten now two days in a row. Not "bad" food - but way too many servings. Like I think I had 4 servings of Triscuits after dinner tonight! And two pudding cups. And my husband's chocolate SB bars. (Yes... more than one.) I don't know what has gotten into me but I need to stop right now. It is too reminiscent of the past when I would do so well then slowly start slipping. I am determined not to do that this time!!!

The good news is that I have not reached for any non-SB food. But that doesn't make me feel much better. This is clearly not healthy eating or the right mindset.

So here I am looking for my chicks to knock some sense into me before I fall too far off the wagon.

As I think through this when I write, I think I need to cut out grains again for a few days. Everything starts with those darn Triscuits! Maybe I need to take the boxes out of the pantry and have my husband hide them. But that seems so weak and not like the solution for someone who is in this for life. Sigh.

I cannot believe I went so long without cheating and now this!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #2  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

Perhaps try eliminating grains at that time of day, have them with lunch instead of after dinner?
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #3  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Yes, I would say don't buy them or don't have them in a cabinet you always go into. When DW has off-plan snacks that I happen to like, we put them in the drawer I use the least and I forget about it (our of sight, out of mind).

Get back on the horse!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 106/106/96

Height: 4' 11"

Hey, we gotta slip now and then. We're human. Just start back up again and get back on track. I think we gotta let go now and then or we'll go crazy and rebel.
SweetPeaSusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:10 AM   #5  
Motivated for Success!!

Height: 5'7"

If you MUST buy the triscuits, maybe try getting the little snack sized ziplock baggies and put one serving in each. Only allow yourself one baggie a day.

I have the same problem... I don't reach for non-SBD food, I just reach way too often! Nuts (usually almonds) get me!
KellyEnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:33 AM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Karen - This happens to me sometimes. I'll be doing great with that stuff and then I'll slide off the rails. The only thing that works for me is going back to a strict 1.5 eating plan for awhile. For me that's no more than 1 grain, often none, and 1-2 fruits per day, and no chocolate. I need the break to get myself back on track. When I reach that point no amount of self talk will get me back on track but planning and posting my meal plan in the morning then sticking to it usually helps. No matter what keep posting and hold yourself accountable.

Could this be a little feeling sorry for yourself comfort eating? Just asking because I definitely do that. If I was just told I couldn't work out the way I'd been and had a healing process ahead I might head for comfort foods like salty crackers and chocolate. Just thinking out loud before coffee.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #7  
Be happy.

Karen, I'm sorry you're struggling with this. I'm guessing it's at least partly frustration/boredom because of your shoulder, what do you think?

When I broke my wrist in 2003 the Physical Therapist warned me at my first post op appointment that just about everyone puts on 10 pounds when they're recovering from an injury. I was shocked but she she checked my weight every week for the entire 8 weeks of my therapy so I soon realized she was serious. And I did gain even though I knew I she was going to ask my weight every Monday.

I know I ate out of frustration and boredom. I couldn't do the things I wanted to do and I was feeling sorry for myself and figured I 'deserved' a little treat every now and then... but my little treats turned into daily snacks and the next thing I knew my pants were too tight.

I think you should realize that even though you are a very strong and motivated woman this is not a 'normal' part of 'the rest of your life'. If you decide to keep certain foods out of your house (or out of your sight) for a while that's not a sign of weakness, that's a sign of taking control and sticking to your plan for good health.

Edited to add: I was typing as Cyndi was finishing her post I guess. It looks like we're both thinking the same thing.

Last edited by Heidi58; 04-03-2010 at 06:38 AM.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Karen, I can't really add any more advice, as I totally agree with Cyndi and Heidi. Hang in there, and Hey, at least it was all OP stuff!

Sit down and think about how far you've come and what your future goals are. Tell yourself it's just not worth it to blow it now and mess up all the hard work you've done so far, and the guilt that comes with it. You know you can do it, since you've been doing great up to now.

Will it help if I send a big dose of willpower to motivate you?
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #9  

You chicks are awesome. I love that you can be supportive, offer advice, and gently kick my butt at the same time.

Heidi and Cyndi - I wondered the same thing. As I sat there just chewing and wondering why. And that may indeed be a part of it, or all of it. But I need to get over emotional eating if it is. And I sooo hope Heidi's PT's prediction does not come true for me. That is a huge amount of weight on my body.

Here is something else I wondered: I actually had moments lately when I felt thin. So was I somehow sabotaging myself?

And then there is the fact that I know I sometimes have problems with Triscuits and with those SB bars. But I thought I was well in control. I should have learned that once I stopped counting out each Triscuit in a serving I was in trouble. I think Jenn and Kelly are right. I am going to move them for now, and when/if they come back, I will portion them out ahead of time.

The first day I overate I should have put on the brakes. I intend to keep weight off this time and in order to do that I need to figure out how to stop when I slip and how to get right back on plan and not let one slip become two or more. Last night was the first one in a long time when I went to bed with regret about what I had eaten that day and woke up with disgust about the same thing. I remember those feelings and don't like them.

So no Triscuits for a while. And no SB bars (except for the emergency one in my purse and until I travel in 3 weeks but no good flavors since I threw that out last night).

I feel better and stronger already. Thanks chicks. I really don't know what I would do without you.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #10  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Karen

I got rid of the Triscuits because I always went overboard even when I started with very strong intent. I started looking for a replacement when an exercise friend mentioned that she was a little ticked that MSG was added to the rosemary/olive oil version. She got a horrible migrane.

I found "Woven Wheats" at Whole Foods(their 365 brand). The only 2 ingredients are whole wheat and salt. They have no added oil, are much lower in sodium AND I find I am actually able to enjoy them in normal portions.

Triscuits have been crossed off my shopping list. Since I'm not at Whole Foods often, I stock up and absolutely have no problem letting unopened boxes sit in the cupboard.

Best Wishes! I agree, this is an especially hard time of year to have an injury. Take care...
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #11  

Thanks Debbie. I will look for those. What is it with Triscuits?! I am so torn about those crackers because part of me says I should get rid of them forever, consider them what Weight Watchers calls a red light food. But the other part of me says I need to learn how to handle moderation.

I just thought of one more thing - I ate them alone! (Well, until I added in the other food.) I forgot Dr. A's advice about not having grains without protein or at least fat. Not that I am now going to go put cheese on top. Just thinking out loud.

No Triscuits today. Or tomorrow. Or all week. HOLD ME TO THAT!
Old 04-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Waisting - I do the same thing too!! I think part of it is I want something crunchy...and not veggies. So you go for the triscuits, because it's OP, and not chips, etc. Then, I go overboard!!

I rarely have triscuits at home now
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #13  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

I'm having a Ryvita w/Laughing cow right now and I just don't have the tug to eat more like I have with Triscuits (especially the "flavored" ones).

Last edited by Lexxiss; 04-03-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #14  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Seriously, do they have MSG in them because they are addicting. I never buy them because of that.
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:37 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I find them addictive too - especially the ones with rosemary and black pepper. I think it's the salt and the crunch. Ryvita doesn't do that to me.

So Triscuits are not allowed into this house. Melba toast is on the danger list too.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote