WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 315 / *ticker* / 130

Height: 5'4

Default Golden Star Jasmine Rice

I bought some rice at Sam's Club and it just seems too good to be true. It's Golden Star Jasmine Rice (Prime Grade). I have found several places online that list different nutritional values, but this screenshot (attached) from Calorie King matches what the actual bag says.

My questions:
1). Is that serving size referring to 140 grams of COOKED rice? Or uncooked?
2). Is this too good to be true?

We have been eating this 3-4 times a week for a couple weeks now and I'm still losing, so I think it can't be TOO bad, but really it seems too good to be true. I almost didn't post this because I'm scared I'm gonna find out this isn't as low in points as I thought for some reason, but my husband's weight loss has stalled out and I just have to make sure that this rice isn't the culprit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jasmine_rice_nutrition.jpg (22.3 KB, 16 views)
melbellrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #2  

That would definitely be COOKED rice. 2/3 cup of uncooked rice would yield almost two cups of cooked rice which would be way too much for an individual serving.
redsox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #3  

That's what I assumed, and that's the serving size I have been using. 140 grams of cooked rice. So at least I know I got that part right
Old 04-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbellrocks View Post
That's what I assumed, and that's the serving size I have been using. 140 grams of cooked rice. So at least I know I got that part right
Then it sounds like you're having a very healthy carb in the right proportions! I love jasmine rice. :O)
redsox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #5  
Meg

The nutrition label has to be wrong.

It says that 2/3 cup of rice is .5 grams of fat, 44 grams of carbs, and 6 grams of protein. OK, we know that a gram of carbs or protein = 4 calories and a gram of fat = 9 calories.

So --

.5 g fat = 4.5 calories
44 g carbs = 176 calories
6 g protein = 24 calories

Total calories = 204.5 per 2/3 cup serving. That's pretty typical for any 2/3 cup portion of cooked rice, if you check any of the calorie counting sites.

You know what they say -- if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Sorry!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #6  
Workin' It

I'm afraid that I agree with Meg, there is no way that is right.

I eat Mahatma Jasmine Rice & by comparison it is:

1/4 cup (45g) raw, makes 3/4 cup prepared
Cals: 160
Carbs: 36
Prot: 3g

Which lines with Meg's nutritional info - 36g carbs x 4 cals = 144, 3g prot x 4 cals = 12 cals, for a total of 156.

So, I would guess that your rice is closer to the 200 number than the 70 number per serving.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 04-01-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #7  

Don't be sorry! I knew it had to be too good to be true. And it could also explain why my husband isn't losing.

There are other "Golden Star Jasmine Rice" packages that list the info as 200-.5-0 for 1/4 Cup. Do you think that's still referring to a cooked 1/4 cup, because that doesn't seem like enough rice for a serving. I ask because I will just use the information on that bag and assume there's some sort of misprint on my big bag. Makes me sad, but it might make my husband lose weight.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #8  
Meg

I think 200 calories per 1/4 cup would be for raw and you'd end up with about 3/4 cup cooked. I think most rice is about the same number of calories, regardless of the brand or variety.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #9  

well thank you guys for all the help. You have cleared up a lot of confusion on my part (I crunched numbers probably 12 times because that low of calories didn't make sense to me). But you have made my husband a very sad man...he loves him some rice...
Old 04-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #10  
Meg

Aw, poor DH! Rice really is pretty high calorie per serving -- do you think you could stretch his rice by adding in some chopped veggies? Kind of bulk it up and still look like a good sized portion?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #11  
Workin' It

My DH loves rice, too. We often do what Meg suggested - cook veggies, even ground or chopped meats sometimes, toss it in with the rice. It then becomes our main dish, so we can eat a little less rice for the same impact. Love it.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

I always just counted all rice as 4 WW points for 1 cup. Isn't that correct?

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #13  

Well his favorite dish is dirty rice. I use frozen onion and green pepper (so I don't have to chop, I'm lazy) and instead of sausage I use the Morningstar Crumbles, Worcestershire (no calories, yay) to make the rice "dirty", and creole seasoning. I could get away with less rice if I added mushrooms and carrots but I hate them both so I don't want to add them in when I make it for both of us. Oh well. The whole point is to teach yourself to eat less and eat healthy so I guess we'll just have to deal with less rice.