The Maintenance Library books, articles, and book discussions

Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Primal Blueprint - a book discussion

According to the cover flap ... The author Mark Sisson is a former athlete, troubled by injuries, burn out, and commonly accepted assumptions about eating, exercise and lifestyle habits. He asserts that we have drifted far from our genetic roots.

This drift has taken us away from natural foods and rejuvenating pursuits.

The author has sorted his premise into ten points that he calls "10 Primal Blueprint Laws".

For the purposes of a book study, I think the way to go, is to discuss these points in seperate threads.

Law#1 Eat lots of plants and animals.
Law#2 Avoid poisonous things.
Law#3 Move frequently at a slow pace.
Law#4 Lift heavy things.
Law#5 Sprint once in a while.
Law#6 Get adequate sleep.
Law#7 Play.
Law#8 Get adequate sunlight.
Law#9 Avoid stupid mistakes.
Law#10 Use your brain.

I'm going to put my moderator hat on for a moment.

Firstly, I read the book and like the concept. I am not your doctor, neither is 3FC.

Just because 3FC has allowed me to facilitate a study does not mean that they particularly endorse the book, author or concept.

With respect to differing food plans and/or belief systems, there are threads and forums for many. This is not the place to debate those differences. They will be editted.

Please read the book. It is widely available both used and new ... although I have not checked in a library, I'm sure you'll be able to find it.

One nice thing about internet book discussions is that you don't necessarily have to be there It's easy to catch up. If you decide to read the book at a later date ... these threads will still be here for you.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/main...ml#post3208156

Last edited by srmb60; 03-19-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: to add link
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I look forward to this. I've skimmed the book, plus read a lot on his and other websites.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #3  

Phew ... it was really hard to write up a little synopsis of each law without expounding according to me
Old 03-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Thanks for doing this, Susan! I am sure it's going to be a big help to a lot of people. I'm looking forward to reading it!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #5  

Thanks Jennifer.

As many of you who have "known" me for years already know, I can lose weight. No problem. It's finding a way to stay slim that is a problem.

For years, I've known that I have a problem with carbs. I also know that a few foods cause my belly to bloat, my hands and face to swell. While cutting out grains may seem drastic, it has certainly helped me to pinpoint my problems.
Moreover, the book has taught me how to eat so that it doesn't seem like I'm missing anything.

I recommend it for anyone who thinks they may be sensitive to any foods.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #6  

I'm so glad to see someone talking about Mark Sisson's plan on this forum. I've been following along on his forum now, and find it to be a wealth of thought-provoking information. Sure, a few of the personalities there are pretty extreme - but it's always good to challenge "conventional wisdom," especially since conventional wisdom is what I think got me to this point with my insulin resistance and PCOS.

I'm working toward eliminating grains almost completely from my diet (I doubt I'll ever go 100% - I love quinoa too much, have a thing for Vietnamese pho, and adore maki rolls). I'm also working on eliminating sugar in the form of desserts and treats. I eat fruit about twice a day (although with the amount I eat, it's easily 3-4 servings).

In any case, I've realized I feel so much better when wheat is completely absent from my diet - and right now, that's my number 1 goal.

Lifting heavy things is something I'm getting back into, as well as long, "slow" activities. Sleep deprivation is a huge problem for me, as I am so busy, so I am working on that. One thing I love about Mark's approach is that it's very holistic. I also love the 80% rule. He's not an all-or-nothing guy, and recognizes that people have to balance the primal lifestyle with other real life obligations. Love it!

I have to go buy the book this weekend ... I understand his program pretty well, I think, just from reading his blog, but I'd like to support the guy nonetheless.

By the way, I can't post links just yet - but for anyone who's wondering, google "Mark's Daily Apple," and you'll find it!
CheekyMo27 is offline   Reply With Quote