Old 03-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #1  

Default Weight Lost

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I've been dieting for 2 years, have made it down to 240 but never could break past it. I don't know if it's a set point for my body or if I always just plateau there. I am not at my highest weight ever. 268. I usually hover around 250, I dont know how this happened. Anyway I started a new diet yesterday. So far i've been having caffiene withdrawals and feel like crap. Maybe you guys can help keep me motivated

If you guys could share with me what your starting weight was, how much weight you lose in the first week and how much you lost in the first month, I would appreciate it so much. Also if you wanted to share any info about your diet and exercise plans that would be awesome! The sad thing for me is I won't start to feel like i've accomplished anything until I get under to 240. 240 should be my starting point.. I don't know how I gained so much weight in several months ughh ):
LilyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi and welcome to 3FC. You've just stepped into a great place for advice, encouragement and support.

For me, there was no mystery as to how I made it up to 287 lbs. I ate waaaaay too much food and the wrong ones. I ate irresponsibly and without putting much thought into it. I didn't adhere to any kind of healthy eating plan. I ate whatever I wanted, when I wanted (& I wanted a LOT) - without putting much thought into what I was doing to myself and how it would affect me longterm. And though I ate whatever I wanted, when I wanted - I wasn't happy. Sure the food TASTED good, but than the food was over (quite quickly) - and so was the good. Not so good in the end.

As far as us keeping you motivated, that I'm afraid is something you'll have to muster or your own. We're definitely here to support you and help you out, but the motivation has to come from you. Besides we often say around here that motivation is not ENOUGH to get the job done. Motivation is great in getting one STARTED. But to see it through, all the way to goal, that requires work, dedication, perseverance, determination, grit, thought, effort and COMMITMENT. That commitment is what gives you that stick-to-it-ness that is needed. That commitment is what will force you to cut up that salad instead of grabbing that muffin or calling up for a pizza. That commitment is what will get you off the couch to take a walk. That commitment is what will help you to pass up on the cakes and chocolates. That commitment to do this NO MATTER WHAT is essential. So I urge you to make an ironclad commitment to do this - once and for all and permanently so that it won't matter if you feel motivated or not.

My starting weight was 287 lbs. Don't have my exact numbers in front of me, but I believe I lost about 18 lbs that first month. I was heavier than you (& probably shorter), so the weight most likely WILL come off faster initially. But I urge you to not compare yourself to others. We're all different. I also wouldn't focus *so* much on the scale. It's the behaviors. Focus on the behaviors. Focus on your plan, customizing it and tweaking it as need be. Focus on eating well and exercising. Focus on always having the right foods on hand. Focus on finding healthy, lower calorie foods to eat and fall in love with. Focus on strategies and tips to get you through the *rough* times. Focus on alternatives to stress eating. Focus on making good choices. Focus on getting great healthy habits in place. Focus on that and the scale will go down. Each and every excess pound on you, can come OFF of you - as long as you continue these good behaviors. So try and focus on THAT.

My plan? I'm a calorie counter. It's built in accountability and instant portion control - something I desperately needed (still do). I count calories and combine that with eating whole foods. Helps to keep me full and satisfied and keeps the cravings at bay. In the beginning I completely banned sugar, pasta, rice, flour and the such. I had a REAL hard time stopping with those foods once I got started - my solution - don't start. It was waaaaay easier for me to say know to the first bite than the second and third, and fourth...

My plan also includes exercise, which I started out doing slowly and increased as I went along. Walk Away the Pounds DVDs by Leslie Sansone are a great way to get you going. A simple inexpensive resistance band can also do wonders.

What plan will you be following?

I'm so glad you're here and I look forward to hearing of your progress.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-27-2010 at 04:35 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #3  
Borderline Amazing!!!

S/C/G: 230/228/165

Height: 5'6"

Howdy LilyStar! It's good to see you on here. I hope we can all help you find the motivation you need to get healthy and meet your goal and mini goals!

My highest I am going to say was 220 which was just last week and I have lost 12lbs.

My ultimate goal is to get to 160. I am not much of an exerciser, so I have strictly changed my eating habits until I feel I can exercise comfortably.

I am currently doing the SlimFast thing until my first 20lbs are gone. Then I will count calories and exercise to lose the rest. I don't know if this works for everyone, though. For instance, the first few days were tough not to snack, but lately I have had little energy and all day today I have had a headache...

After a week I am able to zip & button jeans that I haven't been able to for over a year! I can't wear them out in public yet, but should be able to when I meet my 1st mini goal of 199lbs (hopefully by Easter or not long after). I am not saying this to brag, I'm saying it to try to motivate you.

Before I gained the weight, February 2007, I was 185 and very happy with the way I looked (could've lost a few, but I was happy). In the next 8-10 months I gained 30lbs! Then in October 2008 I got pregnant. My daughter is now 7 months old and I'm still in my maternity pants, so I knew it was time to buckle down and do something about it. I have set mini goals for myself to have an Ah-Ha moment every few months (they are listed below). I think this will help you stay motivated if you think of some for your own situation.

I hope this has helped you! I wish you the best of luck and keep us informed of your progress!

For every 5 lbs lost

Main Goal - 160!
BrittanieYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 317/266.5/180

Height: 5'7"

Welcome! I know that this can be a really hard thing to do, but you have made a step in the right direction with this thread. I don't know what exactly to say to help to motivate you, but I can tell you what motivated me. In 2008, I graduated from High School. For my graduation present, my dad and stepmom got me 12 weeks of personal training at the gym my step mom works at. When I went in for my health analysis, I didn't want to know how much I weighed. I knew that I was ( and still am) obese. I just wanted to know what my blood pressure was like. And it was high. I was excited to get started. I had a food journal, that my trainer looked over every week. And I was at the gym almost everyday. I didn't lose to much my first week. I think I had lost 5 pounds by my 3rd week. Which I was perfectly happy with, to tell you the truth. I started out at 317, which I found out after my 5 pound loss, and I was even more excited to keep going.

I slipped alot after I had lost 50 pounds. I admit that I gaiined 25 pounds back, and am now back in the game, losing quickly this time. I count my calories, and my range is 1800-2000 per day. This may be high compared to some others, but I like this so far, its working. I can also adjust as needed. I work out 3-5 times a week. 3 of those days are my hard workouts. Bootcamp 2 of thos days, and kickboxing the other day. The other 2 days are light/moderate exercise on a bike or a long walk outside. Just get moving, whatever you enjoy, go out and do it. If you like gardening, get outside and do it. Anything that keeps you moving.

I also have a reward system in place for when I get to certain pounds lost. Every 10 pounds I treat myself to something NOT related to food. A hair cut, a new purse. I love to read, so one of my rewards is buying a new book. Anything to keep you motivated. Keep posting here. There are alot of people here who are willing to give you any advice and support that you will need.
possiblesuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #5  

Thanks for the replies guys. I know having people to talk to will make this a little bit easier. I've had problems losing weight in the past, I would lose only 1 pound a month on 1200 calories a day. I tried LA Weightloss and gained a little. I had suspision it could be from oral birth control, so I quit taking it 2 months ago. Now, I have enlisted the help of a personal trainer. This is the diet he put me on, it's been soo hard and I feel like garbage.
Breakfast: 1 egg and 1/2 cup egg beaters
snack: 12 almonds
lunch: 2 oz lean meat and lettuce with 2 sprays salad spritzer
dinner: 4 oz lean meat, lettuce with 2 sprays salad spritzer

I actually hate some of the food (egg beaters are nasty!) and gag while swallowing. I'd rather not eat anything than eat this crap...
I'm also drinking at least a gallon of water and getting in about an hour of exercise daily.

I just want to lose 90 pounds in 4 months, I've heard of others doing it. This diet seems so extreme though!

Last edited by LilyStar; 03-27-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

First, WELCOME!

Second, if you hate the food you are eating so much, I would at least consider another route. If you already hate the food, it's going to be really difficult to stick with this. What you have listed for your typical day doesn't look like much food or variety at all. I think I would hate it too! Maybe you could look through some of the diet section with the calorie counting, Weight Watchers, South Beach, etc. and see if there is a plan that you would be happier with. While I get tired of my food some day and want "bad" stuff, the food I eat on a daily basis still taste good, I have a ton of options (even with extreme food restrictions because of health problems). I can change up my food, create new recipes, alter existing recipes and at the end of the day, be happy with my food choices.

Also, 90lbs in 4 months is going to be difficult. Is there any reason for the hurry? None of us gained weight overnight and unfortunately, it's not going to come off overnight. Finding a plan that may cause the weight to come off more slowly, but a plan that you will be able to stick to forever and be happy on is going to have a much better pay off in the end.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyStar View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I know having people to talk to will make this a little bit easier. I've had problems losing weight in the past, I would lose only 1 pound a month on 1200 calories a day. I tried LA Weightloss and gained a little. I had suspision it could be from oral birth control, so I quit taking it 2 months ago. Now, I have enlisted the help of a personal trainer. This is the diet he put me on, it's been soo hard and I feel like garbage.
Breakfast: 1 egg and 1/2 cup egg beaters
lunch: 2 oz lean meat and lettuce with 2 sprays salad spritzer
dinner: 4 oz lean meat, lettuce with 2 sprays salad spritzer

I actually hate some of the food (egg beaters are nasty!) and gag while swallowing. I'd rather not eat anything than eat this crap...
I'm also drinking at least a gallon of water and getting in about an hour of exercise daily.

I just want to lose 90 pounds in 4 months, I've heard of others doing it. This diet seems so extreme though!
Can I ask you - are you looking to lose weight quickly - or permanently???

And really, if you can't stick with the "diet" how can you lose AT ALL, yet alone quickly. This "diet" doesn't sound very stick-able to. It doesn't sound like anywhere near enough food or food that's enjoyable. Hence, you probably won't adhere to it for long and it will all be for naught.

For me, I was (finally) willing to give up lots of foods in order to lose get healthy and lose the weight (pasta, rice, sugar, etc) BUT, I was NOT willing to eat bland, boring, tasteless food or to be hungry. So for me, finding DELICIOUS, satiating, voluminous foods was ESSENTIAL. I knew if I did that, that I wouldn't feel deprived or mind not eating those other foods. And therefore I was willing to/able to STICK WITH IT. This can't possibly work if you can't/won't stick to it.

That's why often here we speak of making a lifestyle change, not a diet. Diets have beginning and ends (& often fail). Lifestyle changes go on and on and on - they continue- therefore the weight goes off and STAYS off - in however long it takes. So I had to find great, lower calorie foods to eat - SF/FF yogurt, roasted veggies, spinach with peppers and garlic, stir fries, salmon, tuna, luscious salads made with strawberries, mango, red onions, etc or red cabbage with pomegranate seeds, shredded carrots, craisins with a red wine vinegar dressing, oatmeal almond chicken fingers, chicken/zucchini meatballs, butternut squash soup, roasted garlic cauliflower soup, poached pears, baked apples and on and on.

So I urge you to find something that you are willing to/able to stick with. Customize your OWN plan. With likable foods - change the way you eat - forever. Make it enjoyable!!!! Google some healthy recipes. Tons of stuff will come up.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-27-2010 at 11:24 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #8  

Rockin Robin and Wild Things- Thanks for taking the time to reply. I agree the food is bland and boring, I did the math it comes to about 650 calories a day. I have tried other eating plans and never lost much weight, even after 4 months I would have lost 2-4 pounds. I don't know if it was due to birth control or if I have a really awful metabolism. Most people don't gain weight overnight, but I did. In 5 months I gained 100 pounds from an antidepressant. I maintained that for 2 years then recently got up to 268. I'm alsways pretty careful with my eating so I'm a little surprised.. I don't really have a reason as to why it needs to take 4 months, that's just how long my trainer said it would be... Of course the sooner the better. You guys have offered great advice. I am going to discuss the diet with him on Monday. It seems weird not being able to eat fruit. It's strange though, I haven't felt any hunger, just cravings.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5.5"

LillyStar - If you can manage it I really think you need to see a doctor and get checked out. You may have a medical problem that is helping you gain or making it hard to lose. A 650 calorie a day diet is considered very low calorie and a personal trainer is not qualified to put you on a very low calorie diet. Only a doctor should help you decide if a very low calorie a diet is OK for you and what type of diet will give you enough nutrition.

Good luck.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizR View Post
LillyStar - If you can manage it I really think you need to see a doctor and get checked out. You may have a medical problem that is helping you gain or making it hard to lose. A 650 calorie a day diet is considered very low calorie and a personal trainer is not qualified to put you on a very low calorie diet. Only a doctor should help you decide if a very low calorie a diet is OK for you and what type of diet will give you enough nutrition.

Good luck.
Thanks! I've been to the Doctor, they have ruled out many things, such as PCOS. I am on metformin for insulin resistance (it was suspected not proven) which doesnt seem to help much. I also have a slightly slow thyroid, just not slow enough to be treated. Otherwise i'm super healthy as if I didn't gain weight (sometimes I think my body hasnt recognized the weight lol) I've spent countless hours doing research on the internet trying to figure out what makes it so hard for me to lose. I've pretty much exhausted all my options. Quitting birth control was my last one, and I have gained weight since quitting so I don't think that was it ): My case is a complex one. There is no way I can stay on a 650 calorie diet for more than a week or two, I feel like i'm in a fog.
If anyone wants to share a sample menu of what they eat on a daily basis that has worked for them I'd love to look it over and possible try it out myself!

Last edited by LilyStar; 03-27-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #11  

Height: 5'5.5"

I hope you find answers to the slow weight loss. I'm glad you aren't staying on the 650 calorie a day diet long. It sounds really rough and tasteless. You can find a bunch of meal plans for different calorie levels and dieting options at freedieting, http://www.freedieting.com/free_diet_plans.htm Hopefully you can find a diet that works for you and that you enjoy!
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Why don't you try a moderately high calorie diet? We have scads of people here who lose better on 1500 a day than 1200 a day. I know I lose the exact same, and I love my life SO MUCH MORE.

Now, with a high calorie diet you have to count really, really carefully because if you are underestimating 10% on a 900 calorie/day diet, it's 990 calories and still in the "range" but underestimating on 1800/day, that's an 180 calorie swing. So if you don't already have a kitchen scale, get one and weigh everything.

You may just be doomed to lose weight slowly--your body may not want to let it go. That's all the more reason to pursue a HIGH calorie diet, because you're going to need to be on it for 2-3 years (plenty of people here who took 3 years to lose the weight). You can't stay on 1200 for 3 years, not comfortably, but you could stay on 1600--1600 healthy calories a day means you never have to be hungry.

So I'd try high calorie (and the higher you start, the better--you can always cut later) and if you lose any weight at all, I'd stay on it.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #13  
Now Mom to 5

S/C/G: 250/ticker/170

Height: 5' 5"

It looks like you have been give a lot of good advice. There is not much I can say but if your thyroid is low I would have the dr. treat it. Just because it is on the low side of normal for lab ranges does not mean it is not your low. Most of the doctors I have worked with will still try treatment to see if it does help.
MomtoThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #14  

lizR- Thanks for the link, I'm going to go check it out right now. I know there has to be something better than what i'm doing now!

Shmead- No offense, but I hope you are wrong. Taking 2-3 years to lose this weight would be very disappointing. I can't help but compare myself to other people who lose weight so much more quickly. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's not the case! However, if it is I'm sure I can learn to live happily on a 1600 calorie diet. If it works at all, it's still better than nothing

momtothree- Thanks for the advice, I think I may print out some articles from the amercian society of endocrinology that state their recommendations for normal thyoid levels. Does anyone know how much thyroid really effects metabolism? Could it be the difference between not losing any weight and losing 2-3 pounds weekly?

By the way, i'm only down half a pound on day 3 of this diet ):
Old 03-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyStar View Post
Shmead- No offense, but I hope you are wrong. Taking 2-3 years to lose this weight would be very disappointing. I can't help but compare myself to other people who lose weight so much more quickly. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's not the case! However, if it is I'm sure I can learn to live happily on a 1600 calorie diet. If it works at all, it's still better than nothing.
It's 10 million times better than nothing. The worst case senario is you stick to low calorie for 6 months, get half way to your goal weight, and then regain it all + more. This has happened to millions and millions of people: don't think you are stronger or smarter than they!

The reason this sucks is you get all the pain of dieting and no long ter m rewards PLUS, I promise you, nothing in the world is as humiliating as having people silently watch you regain the weight they praised you for losing.

Either way, you are going to be 2 years older in two years--you just have to decide now what you want to be like then.

Furthermore, if you have to lose weight that gradually, it won't be like there are no rewards in the meantime: you'll constantly be looking and feeling better.

In the end, I don't think it will take that long: 1200 calories leading to 1-2 pounds a month is really, really slow, and I think there can only be three possibilities

1) you need to eat MORE and will lose more on more food or

2) You have some weird biochemical negative feedback loop going on (like PCOS, even if it isn't that) and getting your weight below some threshold will resolve that and it will start going down faster or

3) (I mention this as a suggestion to think about, not an accusation) You haven't been keeping good track and were eating a lot more, or were eating 1200/day except for special occasions and things you had to eat--your mom cooked and insisted, your friends took you out to eat, it was your birthday, an emergency at work, whatever. Two off-plan days a week, or one off-plan week a month, can easily destroy the effects of calorie restriction the rest of the time. This is NOT to say that you are doing this. I don't know you. I have no reason to doubt your account. But I do constant evaluations to make sure my calories are not "creeping up"--it happens to very smart, tough, dedicated dieters if they are not vigilant.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote