Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 336/290/196

Height: 6ft3

Default Peanut butter ideas??

Hey everyone,
my favourite food ever is peanut butter! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to do something healthy with it that could be eaten as an actual meal rather than a snack? The problem is I just don't eat snacks now, unless it's a piece of fruit, so i never get to eat peanut butter. Would be great to have it as part of a meal, other than in a sandwich. I'm also not eating bread. Any ideas anyone has would be much appreciated.
xxx
JayneEnglandUK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #2  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

I'm guessing no bread also means no muffins, pitas, wraps, crackers, and anything else remotely bread like, so I'm not going to mention that stuff. But if it doesn't then perhaps some of the above could be ideas as well .

- How about in smoothies? Ex. A glass of milk, a banana, ice, and a tablespoon of peanut butter. The only catch about this is that it's a "drink" and not a meal, but depending on your caloric allotment and plan, maybe a meal could be a glass of this with some oatmeal?

- Are crepes too bread or dessert-like? If not, crepes, peanut butter, and a piece of fruit like a banana or berries?

- I haven't tried this but with oatmeal or maybe even something like cream of wheat? I saw this somewhere and I haven't tried it or counted the calories, but someone had this idea:

Quote:
  • 2/3 cup oats
  • 1 cup water (some days I do 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup skim milk for some extra protein)
  • Microwaved 2:20
  • Stir in 1/2 chopped banana, 2 tbsp milled flax, 2 tbsp sugarfree strawberry preserves (which actually has 6g fibre!), and 1 tbsp PB.
Or peanut dressing? You can see the recipe here, in post #17 http://caloriecount.about.com/ideas-...ter-ft86123#17:

Quote:
Oh boy, I love this! It is a peanut dressing. I have used it on hot and cold noodles as well as a dipping sauce for steamed veggies and as a dressing on shaved cabbage, spinach and bean sprout salad.

This comes from The Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites, it is a very well loved book in my kitchen. I highly recommend it to people wanting to eat a low-fat mostly plant-based diet that has lots and lots of flavor (there are some seafood dishes included but mostly vegetarian menus).

Whirl together in a blender or food processor:

* 3 Tablespoons of natural peanut butter
* 1/4 cup of water
* 1 minced garlic clove
* 1/2 - 1 fresh chili pepper, remove seeds for a milder "hot"
* 2 Tablespoons rice or cider vinegar
* 1 Tablespoon honey
* 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
* 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
* 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
* 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
* 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Keeps about 2 or 3 weeks in the fridge. 44 calories/ 1 oz.

Sometimes I will cheat a bit and use 1/4 cup of spicy salsa instead of the chopped tomato and fresh chili pepper. Also I have used dried ginger when I did not have any fresh on hand and it was still very good.
Another idea is peanut-satay sauce post #24:
Quote:
mmmm I make the BEST low-cal PB satay sauce, if I do say so myself! You mix 2T peanut butter (regular or natural, it doesn't really matter, but I like natural), 1/2c plain yogurt, 1t rice vinegar, 1t crushed red pepper flakes, and 2 packets raw sugar (or probably about 1t, I don't know exactly what that comes to) and whisk it all together until it stops being lumpy. Microwave it for about 30 secs (don't let it boil!!!) and it's done! You can add more PB or yogurt to taste, or some more/less pepper to adjust the spice. So good! I like it on apples, carrots, and pretzels best, but this one can also be used for meats and chicken. Wow. Just wow. I'm a PB addict, and definitely the authority on using it for every single possible meal!
I also once had soup with peanut butter in it. It had tomatoes in it as well, which sounds disgusting but was quite good. I don't remember what it was called but perhaps there are peanut butter soup recipes online.

I hope these ideas help.

Last edited by beautifulone; 03-23-2010 at 11:48 PM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #3  

Hey beautifulone,
thanks so much for the reply!! Those are some very good ideas. I've had satay before and I know that is yummy so that's defo one to try!!! plus i have porridge (which i think is what you mean as oatmeal?) for my breakfast or even lunch sometimes so that suggestions of banana and peanut butter sounds delicious!!
lol well i kinda meant I stay away mostly, as in I don't eat sandwiches anymore. I do occasionally have bread with soup etc.
Thanks so much, you've really helped.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:56 AM   #4  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

You're welcome! Enjoy the PB

Last edited by beautifulone; 03-24-2010 at 04:56 AM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulone View Post

I also once had soup with peanut butter in it. It had tomatoes in it as well, which sounds disgusting but was quite good. I don't remember what it was called but perhaps there are peanut butter soup recipes online.
I just had a soup yesterday with peanut butter and it had tomatoes in it too! They called it african peanut soup and if you do a search online you will find a lot of recipes. There seems to be a lot of variations. The soup I ate had tomatoes, carrots, edamame, sweet potatoes, and some other yummy vegetables in it. I don't normally like vegetable soups (though I love vegetables) but this one had an awesome flavor. It was spicy but I am sure you could make a version that wasn't.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #6  

Hey renwomin,
just did a search for african peanut soup and it looks fab! i love veggies and especially soup so it would be perfect for me. Definitely gunna give that one ago :-) thanks for the info
Old 03-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #7  
Beautylicious

S/C/G: 148/144/135

Height: 5'6

I am making a peanut pumpkin curry tonight, that uses peanut butter as part of the base. It also uses coconut milk, and is high in cals, so I'll be dividing it into small portions
CharlieBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Have you ever made something like west african peanut stew? I have a recipe in a cookbook but I've seen all sorts of variations online. The recipe usually calls for tomatoes, sweet potatoes, peanut butter and spices. Green beans are also sometimes part of the stew. It is one of the best things I've ever eaten.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

The peanut butter soup I had was from a friend who came from the Ivory Coast, West Africa. It uses goat (or beef), peanut butter, mushrooms, cabbage, tomato paste, chicken bullion, onions, water, habaneros, chopped or diced tomatoes. The way he cooked it, it was more like a stew and we always ate it over rice. No measurements for the parts, and I used to cook it a lot because it is so good, but too much fat for me in it.

If I had to guess from memory, I would say brown 1 lb stew meat in a couple of tablespoons of super hot peanut oil. Add a chopped onion to soften a bit. Add a pinch of salt to taste, then turn down the heat and add 1/2 a small can of tomato paste and brown it to get rid of the raw tomato taste. Next add 1/3 cup of peanut butter, a couple teaspoons of chicken bullion, and water to about an inch above the level of the meat. Add in 1/2 a head of shredded cabbage, 8 oz sliced mushrooms,a 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes, and habanero to taste (Youde used like 4 of them, I can usually manage about 1) and cook until everything is tender and the flavors marry. Serve over rice or other grain. If you have leftovers, take care...the habanero tends to get hotter as the stew ages. We used to eat this with a slice of sourdough bread smeared with mashed up avocado...double YUM, but prolly right on off my plan nowadays. I don't know why you couldn't use pork and natural peanut butter to cut on fat a sugar some...mabye even a little less peanut butter.

I'm sorry I don't have an exact recipe, but we never really measured. I think it would taste good without worrying about measurements even if you've never made it before.

Barb

Last edited by angelskeep; 03-24-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: forgot the tomatoes!
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBaby View Post
I am making a peanut pumpkin curry tonight, that uses peanut butter as part of the base. It also uses coconut milk, and is high in cals, so I'll be dividing it into small portions
hey that sounds great charlie, i love pumpkin but the only problem is here in england we don't really have pumpkins in supermarkets, it's only at halloween! do you think it would be good with maybe butternut squash or sweet potato?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #11  

thanks very much angel and nelie, they both sound great. I absolutely adore stews and soups and i would never have dreamt to use PB in anything like that, it's really opened my eyes hehe. Thanks so much. p.s no worries about the exact recipe, I'll give it a go with what you suggest and i'm sure it will be great, lol except the mushrooms, they are the one veg that i hate!! lol
Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

This is similar to the peanut stew I had before
http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/02...t-potato-stew/
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #13  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

African Inspired Crockpot Soup with Peanut Butter, Chiles, Brown Rice, and Lentils is one of my favorite recipes. It's also really easy.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #14  

wow thanks they both look scrummy!! If it wasnt 11.30 pm i'd go and make one of them now!! I now have to decide which of these great recipes to try first
Old 03-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Nelie, that's a neat website. My adult daughter is a vegan, so I will have to email her a link. She's introduced me to a lot of really good foods I wouldn't have known about.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote