Old 03-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #1  
Nine years to go!

S/C/G: 270/256/140

Height: 5'2

Default Vitamin D for weight loss support?

I went to my yearly pap/physical this week with my CNM (no I'm not pregnant, just loved my midwife so much that I still go to her for all my women's health stuff) and my labs indicated a significant vitamin D deficiency. We looked at a few studies that indicate some link between weight and vitamin D and while it doesn't appear that any conclusive evidence has come in yet about whether or not it will help a person lose weight, there are some promising results.

So I've started a supplement on her recommendation. If nothing else it has already given me some mood support and it has some bone health benefits, so either way I'll keep taking the supplement to stay at a good level.

Has anyone else had a diagnosed deficiency, and has treatment had any impact on your weight loss progress?
Ten Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Yes, and our own bodies make alot of Vitamin D when we get into natural sunlight.... So taking a walk in the spring sunshine also gives you those benefits.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #3  
Nine years to go!

S/C/G: 270/256/140

Height: 5'2

Yeah, lucky us we get about 2 minutes of sunshine a day and it usually happens while I'm at work!

I always thought that just a couple minutes of sunshine was all a person needed for enough vitamin d but in my case I guess it wasn't enough. Most milk is also fortified but lactose does ugly things to my tummy so I am not getting it there.
Ten Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #4  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

In Alaska something like 90% of the population has Vitamin D deficiency. I'm not sure if that is for all or part of the year, as we have more than our share of sunlight in the summer.

I was also coming up short in blood tests and therefore take a supplement, but I don't know if there is a connection to my weight loss.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I was told that the sunlight is not direct enough at this time of year in the northern hemisphere to trigger vitamin D production in the skin.

I've had seasonal affective disorder problems for several years I started taking plenty of D3 this winter which helped the SAD a lot but did nothing for my weight loss efforts... but then again I never had the blood test to check my D levels.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Since starting my healthy journey, I hit the mark (or above) on every single vitamin sans supplements - accept D. So now the only supplement I do take is vitamin D plus calcium.

It is VERY common to be deficient in Vitamin D. Because yes, it comes from sunshine.

I see no impact for or against my weight loss due to adding the supplement.

But then again, I haven't changed my diet much in the past bunch of years. I adhere to a very healthy diet and a calorie budget. As long as I do that, no problems with weight gain.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Well, being one of the aforementioned Alaskans, me and my kids all take a vitamin d supplement. I have never heard of it impacting weight loss, but I'd rather my kids not develop rickets!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 148/132.5/125

Height: 5'3

Smile

I am currently taking physiology, and I want to say we discussed something like 15-20 minutes of sunlight and your body will make enough Vitamin D for that day. I understand this is easier for some than others. I live in Sountern California and today it was bright sunny and 70-something degrees out Supplements should work also though
RynKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5"

I read somewhere that when you have a lot of fat the Vitamin D doesn't work properly, so you may need more. I know several of my friends who had/have breast cancer were all told by their docs to take supplements. It really does sound like it's good for so many things now.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #10  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I am a summer hybernator. I do not like summer. But I am making it my mission to get enough sunlight this season. I too have heard that the sun is not direct enough yet. I think it has to be strong enough that you could potentially burn. Right now I could stay out all day and not burn. The recommendation is 10-15 minutes of direct sunlight between the hours of 10:00 and 3:00, I think.

I figure the sunshine out there right now isn't going to hurt me, so I'm soaking it up. It lifts my mood regardless.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #11  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

I am of the belief that anything that helps your body work the way it is supposed to is going to help with weight loss. Not directly, but because if you are not deficit in anything important, then you are less likely to have cravings, will have more energy for exercise, and your body will run more efficiently. I don't take any "diet pills" but do take a vitamin D supplement after a blood test (that I requested) said that I was deficit. I also take fish oil and a multivitamin.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I am a summer hybernator. I do not like summer. But I am making it my mission to get enough sunlight this season. I too have heard that the sun is not direct enough yet. I think it has to be strong enough that you could potentially burn. Right now I could stay out all day and not burn. The recommendation is 10-15 minutes of direct sunlight between the hours of 10:00 and 3:00, I think.

I figure the sunshine out there right now isn't going to hurt me, so I'm soaking it up. It lifts my mood regardless.
It's been direct enough for me to get a bit pink the other day
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #13  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I had my blood tested last spring and found out I had a serious vitamin D deficiency (everything else ok, including cholesterol). I've always drank milk and ate yogurt, ate cereal with vitamin D added. Now I take cod liver oil pills and eat more fish. I have too many other variables going on to say whether I think the adjustment in diet has helped with weight loss. I'm of the general mindset, too, that anything that helps my body keep a good balance of nutrients will be a good thing and push me in a positive direction health and weightlosswise.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

I wonder if testing for Vitamin D is a new trend? I was tested too by my new doctor and found to be way low. Big shock as living in FL I thought I would be okay. silly me. Been on supplements for about 4 weeks now and I can report the aches and pains are less. No change in rate of weight loss tho.
chicpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 AM   #15  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

i don't know about weight loss- but i definitely feel a lot better and that's good for me!
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote