Old 03-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #1  
Livin Lite!!

S/C/G: 341/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Broccoli!!

I've found that I like broccoli but only when cooked with cheese sauce. Are there any other good ways to cook it and it be flavorful?? And also other veggies...would LOVE any ideas!!
Christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 219/219/140

Height: 5'5"

Christina, I'm new here so if this info has already been shared please forgive me. I use the steamer bags for fresh veggies. There are guides printed right on the bags to show type of food and time to microwave. I add a small amount of a seasoning mix (canadian steak seasoning has salt, pepper, garlic, etc) and then spritz with spray butter when it is ready. The bags allow the veggies to hold their beautiful green color and no clean up at all.
Twitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I actually love the taste of broccoli by itself but have you tried roasting it or other veggies? Roasting with a little olive oil, salt and pepper?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #4  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I agree with Twitter…the steamer vegetables are really good, quick and easy. I’m not a huge veggie fan (don’t hate them, just don’t love them either), but I really like all of the frozen green giant steamer veggie things. And most of them already have some seasonings and are just perfect the way they are!

Also, broccoli sort of soaks up the flavors and tastes of other foods it’s cooked with and most sauces really well. So if you cook it with some bell peppers and carrots and a good stir fry sauce, it will be really yummy!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #5  
Livin Lite!!

The only thing I've roasted so far was zucchini and it was awesome!! I didn't know if broccoli would be good roasted too.

Twitter I'm new also so I'm sure this same info is around here somewhere! Lol
Old 03-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #6  
Livin Lite!!

I haven't really checked out the green giant steamer bags but was affraid they would be loaded with salt. I'll have to atleast check into it.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #7  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I actually love the taste of broccoli by itself but have you tried roasting it or other veggies? Roasting with a little olive oil, salt and pepper?
Nelie, how do you roast veggies? Do you need a grill or can it be done in the oven?

The way I tend to eat broccoli is mixed with other vegetables in stir-frys or vegetables in pasta sauce (if you eat pasta), lasagna, seasoned steamed veggies (try seasoning with herbs like thyme, italian seasoning, especially freshly chopped).

Last edited by beautifulone; 03-16-2010 at 03:03 PM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

i love broccoli with gravy.. i usually have it with my protein-like chicken, but if push comes to shove i will happily eat just broccoli with gravy
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #9  
Livin Lite!!

I've never heard of broccoli with gravy!! Sounds good...but fattening? What kind of gravy do you use?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulone View Post
Nelie, how do you roast veggies? Do you need a grill or can it be done in the oven?

The way I tend to eat broccoli is mixed with other vegetables in stir-frys or vegetables in pasta sauce (if you eat pasta), lasagna, seasoned steamed veggies (try seasoning with herbs like thyme, italian seasoning, especially freshly chopped).
In the oven. Basically you can put a little water at the bottom of a pan or spray it with some oil, put your cut up veggies in, spray with a little oil, add whatever spices although basic salt and pepper works.

Put in oven at 425.

If it is a longer cooking veggie (like sweet potatoes), you can cover with foil for about 25 minutes then uncover. Most veggies like broccoli will be fine uncovered. I'd recommend cutting brussel sprouts in half.

although I admit I don't use my oven too often, I generally just steam my veggies either on the stovetop or with a microwave steamer.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I used to hate broccoli....now I find excuses to eat it. I LOVE it roasted, and can eat my weight in roasted broccoli if allowed to. If I'm crunched for time I'll saute some cut up broccoli in a pan with non-stick spray, or if I have the calories, olive oil or butter...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #12  

Another vote for roasting it. Broccoli is probably my favorite veg, and used to be DH's least favorite. Now we argue over who gets the last of the broccoli when I roast it, which is a few times a week. I actually bought a small toaster oven for $20 at Big Lots for the purpose of roasting veggies, so I didn't have to heat up the whole house with our gas oven.

I have a Misto with olive oil, so it takes only a tiny bit for the veggies. We roast carrots, broccoli, asparagus, peppers, onions, brussel sprouts ... you name it and I've stuck it in the oven. Broccoli is the best, the tree ends get a little crunchy and nutty. It's a party in my mouth.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

I LOVE broccoli. I, too, really only eat it with cheese sauce but if I mix it in with something that I'm eating then generally I get just enough of the broccoli taste, but not so much that it tastes like plant (because sometimes that happens, right?). Sometimes I put carefully measured butter on it because it tastes sooo good with just that little bit of butter.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

i use Ah! Bisto gravy (reduced salt).. not really fattening, it comes to 40 kcals/serving!

Last edited by grrrkgrrrl; 03-24-2010 at 07:40 PM.
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #15  
Short dresses here I come

S/C/G: 157/122/130

Height: 5ft6

I boil my brocolli, and eat it with a laughing cow extra light cheese square, the triangles are 25cals each and they melt on the broccolli yummily...
VeeDeValentine is offline   Reply With Quote