Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 01:27 PM   #1  

Smile how did you do it???

i see so many wonderful numbers here where you ladies have lost 30, 40, 50, 100 plus pounds and i was wondering if a newbie could learn from you?

how did you do it? what worked and what did not?

i gained over a hundred pounds when pregnant with my baby and was on the high end (158 lbs) when i got pregnant. i want to be healthy. i want to be lean. i want to look like i did in high school and college!!!

any advice, tips, etc? i think it is marvelous that so many of us are in this together and that so many of you have lost some fabulous amounts of weight. i would love to hear your stories, the good, the bad, the success and the steps back!!!

thank you so much!
Old 01-20-2003, 04:25 PM   #2  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Missy - I sure know what doesn't work: starvation diets, fad diets, the "I blew it - I'll start over tomorrow" mentality.

What is working (finally) for me is Body for Life, which is basically a low-carb program with a regimen of weightlifting. I have lost 13 lbs. in three weeks, not to mention the inches I have lost.

What else works is knowing that you can NEVER give up. Ever. You have to remember - you didn't get fat overnight, and you're not going to get thin overnight, either.

Last edited by Jennelle; 01-20-2003 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:54 PM   #3  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

I second what Jennelle said: starvation diets and fad diets don't work. And exercise is so important, I've seen a lot of people that I know lose weight and gain it all back plus more, because they starve themselves until they lose the weight, then start eating the same way they used to. Teaching yourself good eating habits is a must too, it's a whole lifestyle change
Old 01-20-2003, 05:17 PM   #4  

I second what Jennelle & Raelynn said. It really is a lifestyle change. Fads, starvation, etc. just do not work.

Specific things that I think have made a big difference in my life include:

~exercise
~eating *at least* 5 servings of fruits & veggies every day
~drinking a LOT of water
~getting rid of "white" food (white rice, white pasta, white bread, etc.) I only eat whole grain now.
~controlling portion sizes
~getting at least 2 servings of milk products a day
~ensuring I get enough protein

So basically, I'm eating a healthy diet, & so far, so good
Old 01-21-2003, 03:52 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

The best thing I learned was not to drink my calories.

I used to have a bottle of Frapuccino, Snapple, Kool Aid, soda, juice, etc etc etc.

Now all I drink is water, green tea w/mint (no sweetener), and unsweetened iced tea w/lemon. I'll slip & have a small soda occasionally, everyone's human, me included.

The other thing is, it took me a good 5 years to get down 42#. I haven't been really actively trying until this new year. I had gotten down to 290 last summer, so really I feel like I've only lost 2# in the last 6 months. The rest was backtracking.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:12 PM   #6  

Boy, all of these people give such great advice.
I, too, stopped drinking my calories, and I think that has helped me the greatest. I also found that Weight Watchers has been very helpful in my losing so much weight.

Good luck, and welcome to 3fatchicks
Old 01-21-2003, 10:05 PM   #7  

Thank you all sooo much! This is wonderful advice. I am looking at two things to help me during my struggles. I am going to do Weight Watchers low carb and I am reading and following Make the Connection. I, too, drink too many calories. Pop is my downfall. This week I am working on an exercise program. Small changes I am told is the way to go!!!

Thank you again for such lovely support, the wonderful advice and the general feeling of friendliness and support here on the board. I hope we all reach our goals!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 03:30 PM   #8  

One of the biggest things to remember is that to ultimately lose weight forever and keep it that way you must:

1. Be really ready to lose the weight in your mind.
2. Pick a plan that is healthy and you can live with for the rest of your life not just until you lose the weight.
3. Even though you hate it, exercise everyday as part of a routine.
4. Keep a journal of every glass of water you drink, exercise you do and tidbit that goes in the mouth. It keeps you honest!
5. Give yourself a goal not only in small increments, but a nice big one at the end. Mine is our vacation to Las Vegas in Sept. I want to have lost enough to be able to walk around and keep up with others. My very end goal is a vacation to Disney World next year with my husband, daughter, son-inlaw, and grandson and be able to get into those rides and have a spectacular time.

Now I have lost and regained so many times I can't count, but I guess never had the "brain" commitment that was needed until a month ago. I weigh approx 360 lbs, need to lose about 220 and I stay on a 1600 cal diet/30-40 fat grams and walk my chubby little self 1/2 mile twice a day religiously no matter the weather. I do this as a morning and afternoon routine.

I found that it takes about 2 weeks to get past being "mentally" hungry all the time. I eat exactly what I want not diet foods. Do I get hungry? Yes, from time to time. I have found however that I am able to get past it better now. Stick to it and you will get through it I guarantee!

D
Closed Thread