Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 06:44 AM   #1  

Default my scale is driving me crazy!

I know, I know, stay off the scale, weigh only once a week. But for some reason I keep hopping on it..on different days of the week and different times of day. (but not at night)

How can you gain three pounds overnight? Of course if it were a three pound loss overnight, I wouldn't question it. I'll show a gain at one time early in the morning, and a loss an hour later.

Does everyone stick to once a week weigh ins? I think I just need to put my scale away and take it out once a week.

If I show a loss, I"m in a good mood, and my clothes feel loose on me all day. If I'm up a bit (probably water) then I feel like crap. This morning I stayed the same from last week. (fifteen pounds down total) But I feel like I lost, and the scale is not reflecting it.

Oh, well, sorry to ramble

Take care,
Sherry
Old 01-20-2003, 09:52 AM   #2  

Yes, you should put it away!! Especially if it drives you crazy. I have found that I seem to weigh lowest around midday, as much as a couple of pounds lighter than first thing in the morning, and as much as four pounds lighter than just before bed.

Change your attitude about it. The scale should just be one measuring method of how you're doing. Measurements, how your clothes fit, how you feel -- can show your progress, too. And obviously jumping on the scale all the time just pulls your moods up and down with it.

Another method, if you insist on weighing every day, is too average your weight. Record your weight at the same time every day. At the end of the week, average your numbers. If you choose to do this, though, you've got to try and separate yourself from the daily ups and downs ... if you can't, perhaps the weekly weigh=in would be best. Just keep in mind that the weekly can be frustrating too. Ultimately, it's the notions in your head that need the work! (so easy to say, so hard to do!!!)

Pen
Old 01-20-2003, 09:55 AM   #3  

Angry I do the same!

I am the same way and I also make myself crazy! I used to go to a nutritionist and she said I had really large natural weight fluctuations. Like some people are always within a 1-2 pound range and I would go back and forth within 5 pounds every week. So annoying! I want to try weighing only every other week, as I think that would be a more true weight. This morning I was showing that I was the same as last week (although my official weigh-in day is tomorrow). So, let me know what you decide to do! : )
Old 01-20-2003, 11:11 AM   #4  
Searching

I was so obsessive and beating myself up over the scale my husband hid it. Now I only get to weigh if I stick to my diet and I don't obsess over food, try to make healthy choices. The verdict will be in on Wednesday on whether or not I get to weigh, but in a way the scale its self has become a treat, so I can quit worrying about it!

Miss Chris
Old 01-20-2003, 11:58 AM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Yeah, I'm scale obsessed too. Like the scale should notice that I didn't go for that cookie at work and I should drop a couple pounds for the sheer strength of willpower that it took.

I "grew" out of it soon enough. After the frustration drives you crazy, you will too. Try a tape measure once a month too. Write down your measurements now and do it again in 30 days. It was much more satisfying to have a girlfriend of mine say, "Omigod, you lost two inches here... and here... and HERE!!," when she was helping me figure out my measurements than the scale any day.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:15 PM   #6  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm so scale obsesses, I gave mine to the Goodwill. When I went to WW, I would get on the scale backward and not let them tell me my weight. I only weigh every 3 months at the dr office. I KNOW when I'm gaining and losing. And the scale makes me crazy. If I've been doing good on a diet and get on the scale and there's no change, I go berserk. Binging, feeling bad about myself, all the self destructive things I tend to do, and it's just not worth it to me. I try now to go by how I feel. It's much more accurate, for me.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:19 PM   #7  

i was advised to weigh in either once a week or once a month... no more and no less and to decide what to do and stick with it. also, once a month, i measure everything...

upper and lower arms, wrist, shoulders, chest (over and under), waist, hip, thigh, calf, ankle... write it all down and mark progress in inches and not weight...

water weight in women is tricky and is as dependent on hormones as it is on weight and everything else. i am weighing in once a week until i hit 200 and then chucking it for once a month... that was the promise i made to myself!!
Old 01-20-2003, 01:10 PM   #8  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

My piece of humble advice: THROW YOUR SCALE IN THE TRASH! If you absolutely HAVE to weigh yourself, (but I highly recommend other ways of tracking, such as monthly measurements or the "pants-o-meter") make arrangements with your doctor to weigh yourself on his/her office scale once or twice a month. (You don't even have to talk to the doctor - I would just drop by the office and talk with the nurse.) They won't charge you, since you'll be weighing yourself and they won't have to do any paperwork.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:35 PM   #9  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Throw my scale away!!! No way!!! I am semi-obsessed. But when I do good it's kind and when I do bad, I know I deserve it!!! I weigh once a week "officially', but sometimes I weigh myself on saturday morning to help encourage a good weekend.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:37 PM   #10  

I've been there.

That's one of the things that's different about 'this time'. I promised I'd weigh myself only once every two weeks. I put the scale in a closet outside of my bathroom ... out of sight, out of mind. I'm not temped to jump on it before every shower, etc, etc. I will NOT let that stupid, fluctuating number dictate my mood for the day!!
Old 01-20-2003, 01:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i've just switched from 3 times a week to once a week. it feels like eons since i've last stepped on it!

but i am hoping that only seeing it once a week, it will show my losses more often. =)
Old 01-20-2003, 05:59 PM   #12  
gbo

My Darlins ...once a week is plenty. Weighing in more than that is counter productive! I have been away for a while with back problems and flu up the wazoo and with the medications I was on my weight fluctuated like crazy! The scale is a moniter only. If you are fortunate enough to be able to exercise you will build muscle which weighs more than fat and muscle is the only thing that BURNS FAT! I know myself for the time I have been on my OP sabatical I have been very careful not to gain and used the scale for that purpose even when off plan. The result was I stayed the same weight 258 but my clothes fell off of me!!!!!! You will have times of that the main thing is sticking with it no matter what and you will find your self downwardly mobile in the right way. Hang in there!!!! LOve ya all.
Pam
Old 01-20-2003, 11:31 PM   #13  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Welcome back, Pam! It's good to see you up and around.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:05 PM   #14  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I weigh myself once a week, at my friend's house. Sometimes less than that. For me though, it's more about how my clothes are fitting & how I'm feeling than anything else.

-me,
dirty hippie
Old 01-21-2003, 06:49 PM   #15  
gbo

Thanks Jen, Oh so good to be home!
Closed Thread