Old 03-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/289/170

Height: 5'4

Unhappy embarrassing question about gas pain and constipation..

I wasn't sure where to post this but i was just curious if anyone else had gone through this. I have been counting calories and really cleaning up my eating I haven't had any processed food for 2 weeks now for the most part I've felt great, but the last two times i had a mixed bean (kidney black pinto) meal I've had terrible stomach pains. I've done a ton of on line research, tried a few things this time no relief yet. I do plan to go in to my doctor if it doesn't go away today, but i like to avoid the doctor unless i feel it very necessary. Everything I've read says for gas to cut back on good for you food like beans cabbage Brussels sprouts whole grain ect.. which is hard considering I'm eating pretty clean. Then the other problem is i feel constipated and bloated and for the relief of that it says to eat high fiber foods! I'm so confused i took a laxative last night hoping it would help and all it did was make me feel nauseous. The pain is all over my stomach i feel bloated and wish i could .. evacuate my bowels (for lack of a better term..) has anyone experienced this and figured out a good remedy? I'm confused as to which way to go because I'm eating good and it's telling me to not eat this stuff and for constipation its telling me i should!? aahhh what to do?...
kimberb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

I don't know if there are any Asian or Chinese markets where you are...(or places where you can get these items) but there are Chinese teas containing either senna or lotus leaf...They clean you right out. I should know, bc I experience all the symtoms you described above.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #3  

I have seen teas that contain the senna leaf.. is this something you drink on a regular basis or just to help relive the pain? thanks!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Senna is a laxative. It is something that you shouldn't take very often if you do take it.

A good remedy is to drink some baking soda and water, it is basically what is in 'beano'. It may be that your body is getting used to higher fiber foods and it may take a while. Also, be sure to chew your food really well.

Mint tea is also really good to help you feel better.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #5  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

I alternate between being constipated and being afraid to fart/running to the bathroom at the slightest rumble. My doctor suggested taking probiotics or eating Activia to reintroduce healthy bacteria in my gut. She did say at my physical last month that when you cut out processed/junk/fast food it is very common to struggle with irregularity especially if you ate crap for years like I did. She said that the human body is miraculous and can get accustomed to almost anything. I told her I hardly ever ate fiber in my previous life but was very regular. She said eating a very high fat diet is almost like taking a daily laxative. The body doesn't have to work as hard if your "food" is swimming in grease, gravity just does the trick! She likened becoming regular again after switching to a healthy diet like learning to walk again after a spinal injury. Amazing!

I haven't added probiotics or Activia yet as I can always count on the diarrhea to clear things out but it's getting ridiculous ( I actually poo'd myself a little last week!!--sorry TMI) so I think I'll put that on my shopping list. I have heard they have a sugar free Activia that will likely fit into my plan.

As far as the gassiness goes, I take Beano with the "first bite of offending food". Last night my dinner consisted of three Beano tablets, a huge salad with cabbage and broccoli amongst other veggies, chicken breast sauteed with garlic and steamed green beans. If I were to eat that without taking the Beano, I'd be banished from the bedroom for a week. B/f loves the "toot-tooting" that I apparently serenade him with all night long if I skip the Beano. (I am fast asleep, how was I to know I was so musically gifted especially when asleep?) It's a good thing he loves me or I'd be history!!

*** A little info about Beano***What is Beano?

"Beano contains a natural food enzyme that helps prevent gas before it starts. It works with your body's digestion to break down the complex carbohydrates in gassy foods, like fresh vegetables, whole grain breads and beans, making them more digestible. Beano enables you to enjoy your favorite healthy foods, whether at home, in a restaurant or at a friend's house, without worrying about gas. Beano is not a drug."

Last edited by Michelle98272; 03-10-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I have all those same symtoms... I went to the doctor and was given some medicine for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but that didn't really help. Had an ultrasound done and as it turned out I had gallstones. So, I had my gallbladder removed.. I was hoping that would help! It has helped some, but I still feel bloated and constipated after eating.

This type of thing also runs in my family... so I may just have to deal with it. But yeah, sorry I don't have any remedy! Just know that I feel your pain!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #7  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Quote:
She said eating a very high fat diet is almost like taking a daily laxative.
That is so weird cause I just got through with being HORRIBLY, painfully constipated because of my high fat diet. It just goes to show me that I need to start eating healthier again.

And there is also a "dieter's tea" that contains senna which is a laxative
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #8  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Senna is a laxative. It is something that you shouldn't take very often if you do take it.
I wanted to echo what Nelie said...Most of the Dieters Teas contain Senna. They also can contain unregulated herbal ingredients! Like diet supplements (Herbathin, TrimSpa, Hydroxycut, Zantrex, Xenadrene, Lypozene, Cortislim, Leptopril, Metabolife) Dieter's Teas are NOT regulated by the FDA and can be dangerous to your health.

Personally, I would check with my Dr. or Pharmacist before drinking a Dieter's Tea or taking an herbal supplement. Just because they are "natural" doesn't mean they are safe. For gosh sake, Hemlock is natural.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #9  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

We love beans, the -gassy- veggies and whole grains around here. The biggest thing I found, mainly with the beans, is to buy them fresh and rinse, rinse, rinse them as I cook. So, say I soak them overnight, I rinse that out, rinse the beans really well, boil, rinse halfway through and just keep doing that. I also make beans in huge batches so it's not such a pita to do it all the time. Keeping several varieties on hand, cooked and frozen helps me have more control over whats in them and how they're processed.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #10  

Well i tried some gas stuff this morning a laxative last night and the tea this afternoon.. yes i realize it was probably not the best idea but i needed relief BAD!! I have felt SO bloated and uncomfortable, it's been terrible! so I called my doc and went in this evening. She checked me out and i go back in the morning for blood tests and ultrasounds, she believes it's either gallbladder or a bacteria in my stomach. I'm so glad i posted this it encouraged me to go in. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 03-11-2010, 02:14 AM   #11  
I shall be released...

I'm glad you're finally going to get some answers! I hope you're problem gets solved soon.

Milder constipation has been pretty routine since I started dieting and I'm getting sick of it. I picked up some Metamucil... If that doesn't help I will try something else.

Also, because of the responses in this thread, I grabbed some Beano as well. I love beans, fresh produce, etc but sometimes it sure doesn't love me!
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:01 AM   #12  

Height: 5ft6'

I seriously had the same problem when I started eating healthier. You do get used to the high fiber foods. You should def try some activea yogert. The comercials are soooo true. One a day does the trick. And they are SUPER tasty. It is the only yogert I will buy now. Maybe just try to keep the super high fiber foods like beans to a minimum. Don't eat tons of them. And def try the yogert.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

I have the same problem. I have IBS now that my gallbladder has been removed. I use fiberchoice tablets and take 2 daily. They are orange flavored and really really help me. I only take my presciption meds from time to time.I also have to make sure I drink plenty of water.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote