Old 03-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Severe Constipation

Sorry in advance if these types of topics offend or gross anyone out, just wanted some outside opinions on this matter. Thank you so much in advance to anyone who reads this and might be able to provide some insight.

Some Backstory:
For the last few years, I've had problems off and on with constipation. I've taken benefiber and at times a over the counter laxitive ( that actually makes me very dizzy and feels like something is "picking" at my stomach ) But after lying back down for a few hours the dizzyness would seem to pass. At any rate, I always got through it. I actually did mention this to my doctor when I had my annual " girl " visit, and which she did a rectal exam and did find some blood. She said I should see a gastro doc for a consult, which I did. He suggested I have a colonoscopy, which I was hesitint about ( I'm only 31 ) and needed to wait for new ins to kick in. I took down his info and told him I would get back to him. To date, I haven't.

Fast forward to 2010. I work in an accounting firm, to which anyone who knows anyone in accounting this time of the year, it's a nutso crazy time. No free time whatsoever. Now, about a week in a half ago, I self diagnosed myself with a yeast infection. I had just gotten done taking prescrib meds for a sinus infection, and had all the symptoms of a yeast infection. This has since cleared up on it's own. ( Thank God ) But now the last 3-4 days, I have had a pretty, what I would call sevre case of constipation. I'm straining very hard to have BM, and when it does happen, it's not a lot, and for a number of reasons, I know there is more there that should come out, but it's just not. I would take a laxative, but I know it makes me feel like crap and dizzy. I did pick up some phillips this morning thinking that would be easier on my stomach, and the results are yet to come, excpt the uncomfortableness of knowing I have to go.

I'm starting to get a little scared by all this, but also don't want to jump the gun with doctors and stuff, (as that can get very expensive) if I don't have to. Not to mention it's the busiest time of the year for me and getting off work for a couple days would be difficult. ( but of course, if needed, I would )

So, my couple questions are this:

What would cause the dizzyness after taking a pill laxative?

Could I have gotten this bad constipation from the yeast infection?

After reading all this, what would you do? Try something else? Have the colonoscpy done ASAP, or after the busy season is done? Make having a colonoscopy a last resort thing? Wait a few more days and see what happens?

I do eat lots ( what I think is ) of fiber. Fruits, I put benefiber in my coffee, I drink a TON of water....I'm just kind of at a loss of what to do here, but it is painful down there cause I know I have to go, thus making it difficult to concentrate on anything else, but I have tried and tried to go, and it's there to go, just won't come out!

OK, I think I have embaressed myself enough for one thread, and so I'll end it and hope for some good insight. Thanks again for reading and if anyone is able to help.

Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #2  

minus the yeast infection, this sounds just like me.

i have to take a laxative every other day just to go, but i don't get that dizzy feeling you do. that is weird.

i'd definitely get the colonoscopy done as soon as you could, if another month is needed to wait so be it. have you tried a fleet enema? you can buy those in drug stores that might help give you immediate relief.
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm having the exact same issue. Increasing the fiber only seems to make it worse, which is the opposite of what is supposed to happen. I too have started taking benefiber to no avail. I eat fruits, raw veggies, probiotics yogurt, whole wheat bread, flax seed, wheat germ...nothing seems to help. I have the same feelings you describe.

I can't see your ticker, so do you mind refreshing my memory as to where you are on your weight loss journey? I started this in November and when I started I was eating lean cuisines and protein bars and Slim Fast. I've since cut all that out and eat 99% whole foods. That seemed to do the trick for a couple weeks, then I was back to being constipated again.

How can it be that my old way of eating crap was better for my bowels?? Makes no sense. I just keep thinking it will work itself out as I get used to eating this way, but I've been eating pretty clean since about January 1.

I'm eating 1200 calories a day. How about you?

Last edited by Eliana; 03-08-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 179/169/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi borntofly,
have you tried activia? I used to be constipated and only go once or twice a week if that. I eat an activia after dinner each night and I always go first thing in the morning now. It may take a day or two for the activia to work. Hope this helps. good luck!
sunnysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I've been having this problem on and off for several years now and it is painful.
I eat 1 c fiber one cereal for breakfast-that's 24 g of fiber, make sure I drink enough liquids at least 3 quarts a day. Eat a lot of raw vegetables. Usually some baby carrots, pea pods and a veggie salad with jicama, red sweet peppers, zucchini and what ever else in season about 3-4 cups worth. With a vinegar/EVOO dressing-I use TJ Orange champagne vinegar, so good and only 20 cal per T. I tend to get around 65 g of fiber a day when I'm being good.

When things are just slowing down I use benefiber or miralax until things speed up.

When I'm almost impacted I break out the hard core laxatives. I try to not get to that point but if I've slacked off on the water and veggies and maybe gone on a cheese rampage it gets bad.

Have you tried the laxative suppositories? They tend to work much quicker and tend to work on the stuff in the colon not the entire GI track.

The dizziness when you take laxatives may be from dehydration. Something about how quickly you lose the water in your system.

Go to something like fitday.com and put in all you are eating to see exactly how much fiber you are getting, it may not be as much as you think.

Good luck, I understand how uncomfortable the situation is.

Sarah in MD
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I'm having the exact same issue. Increasing the fiber only seems to make it worse, which is the opposite of what is supposed to happen. I too have started taking benefiber to no avail. I eat fruits, raw veggies, probiotics yogurt, whole wheat bread, flax seed, wheat germ...nothing seems to help. I have the same feelings you describe.

I can't see your ticker, so do you mind refreshing my memory as to where you are on your weight loss journey? I started this in November and when I started I was eating lean cuisines and protein bars and Slim Fast. I've since cut all that out and eat 99% whole foods. That seemed to do the trick for a couple weeks, then I was back to being constipated again.

How can it be that my old way of eating crap was better for my bowels?? Makes no sense. I just keep thinking it will work itself out as I get used to eating this way, but I've been eating pretty clean since about January 1.

I'm eating 1200 calories a day. How about you?
I started in late 2007 and went from 278 to 193 in that time. I try to eat around 1600 a day.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #7  

I'd get that colonoscopy scheduled right away.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #8  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

First, if the doctor recommends a colonoscopy, I would be afraid to ignore that. The blood can be a serious symptom and I would want to be sure that I am OK. Not to be scary, but my son had to have a section of his colon removed when he was 28, so 31 is not too young for problems. On the other hand, the blood could be caused by something harmless.

About the constipation, have you tried adding some more healthy oil to your diet? I have IBS and have found that controlling the constipation is the best thing that I can do. Usually my constipation is usually caused by lack of fiber, lack of oil, not enough exercise, or not enough water. Often having a salad with some oil on it will really help. It is an easy thing to try.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #9  
Calorie counter

Oil huh? I hadn't thought of that. I am eating pretty darn low fat these days.

Any experience with flax oil? I have flax seed, but not the oil. I wonder if I could make a salad dressing out of that.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #10  
getting less fluffy

S/C/G: 255/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I have the same problem especially since starting to eat healthy. I have to take laxatives regularly..almost daily. I have tried fiber pills, lots of water, I eat tones of fresh raw fruits and veggies, I eat fiber one bars...and still have problems. Mine is because of the lifestyle change...becasue it has only done this since starting the healthy lifestyle, but its very frustrating.

I also was told to drink coffee..so I am trying that starting today
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW 246 /CW 229 /GW 150

Height: 5 ' 1"

I would buy some probiotics from the a health food store. They need to be kept cold so stop and get a cup of ice before you buy them.
catowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #12  

Now I'm also starting to worry that if I get dizzy from laxatives ( and I have every time, to the point where I lay on the bathroom floor for 15-20 min ) that it will be really bad if/when I do the prep for the colonoscopy, and I can't even hydrate myself with those ( I don't think ) How will I handle the dizzyness then? At least with laxatives it's a one shot deal ( usually, but I"ve heard the horror stories of being in the bathroom all day with the preps )

*deep breaths* I just don't know what to do.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

There is a tea made by Republic of Tea. It's called "Get It Going" Herb Tea for Constipation No. 2. It's a red tea, and the main helpful ingredient is Senna. Depending where you are, you may be able to find it at a health food or whole foods store. Steep it for 5 minutes, have it before bedtime and again in the morning if needed. People swear by this. It is gentle! You most likely will not get dizzy.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
First, if the doctor recommends a colonoscopy, I would be afraid to ignore that. The blood can be a serious symptom and I would want to be sure that I am OK. Not to be scary, but my son had to have a section of his colon removed when he was 28, so 31 is not too young for problems. On the other hand, the blood could be caused by something harmless.

About the constipation, have you tried adding some more healthy oil to your diet? I have IBS and have found that controlling the constipation is the best thing that I can do. Usually my constipation is usually caused by lack of fiber, lack of oil, not enough exercise, or not enough water. Often having a salad with some oil on it will really help. It is an easy thing to try.

The only reason I was hesatint was b/c my younger sister had one done in high school for the same symptoms I am having and it ended up being IBS and hemroids ( sp ) I just don't want to end up having to spend a lot of money that will get me "you have IBS" at the end of it all. Money is really tight for me.

I realize it *could* be something difft, and the doc, when I had my consult even told me he didn't suspect to find anything, but just wanted to make sure. If I thought it was something serious, I would of had it done already, and it may end up coming to that soon, as I am in discomfort now, where before it was just an inconvience....
Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #15  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Sounds like Jay's recommendation may be close (or at least contain the same ingredient?) as what I was going to recommend. My problem is a little different; I had my gallbladder removed several years ago and now have chronic indigestion. But if I take something to stop the indigestion, I get constipated for several days. I hate taking laxatives - I'm pretty much in the bathroom all day if that happens. One of my friends recommended Senokot - S. It's a natural vegetable laxative and it is MUCH milder than a regular laxative (like Ducolax). You can get it at Walmart/Walgreens/etc.

Also, I would get the colonoscopy ASAP.

Thirdly, CONGRATS on all your weight loss so far! You are amazing! Good luck!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote