General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

Angry I know it's silly, but.....

Does it bother you when people cut in front of you in line, especially in the grocery store?

Now, it could be that my nerves were frazzled from trying to pick the right healthy food options, but, I find it just rude when people cut in line, and then try to act like you are the one with the problem because you tell them nicely (at first), that they cut in line.

One time there was a line for the express lane and there was a man with two items who kept placing his items on the fresh loaves of bread (really unsanitary, but I digress). The line was moving very slowly. I finally was able to put my items on the conveyor belt, when I realized I had picked the wrong soap. There were two people in front of me waiting to be checked out. I made a mad dash to get my soap and make the exchange quickly. I did not slow down the line by any means. The guy with the 2 items and the unsanitary usage towards the bread had moved his items in front of me. When I let him know I was right there, he then tried to go into this spiel about how other people had their items ready. I told him that I had made a mistake, but my changing my soap didn't affect the line, as there were still 2 people in front of me being checked out.

Case in point, people usually will leave their cart, momentarily, if the line is long and they want to get one more item nearby. Usually, people behind them will just push the cart forward. In this case, the person went around it, and acted like I wasn't in line. When I asked him about it (yes, it was a him), he just blew it off like I was never in line to begin with and just ignored me. I thought that was so unclassy.

Or is the best thing to do just to let the person cut in front?
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I don't think it's an attractive trait to move in front of someone who dashed back to get something, but I also don't think the dashee has much of a case to complain.

Lines seem to bring out the worst in everybody. I try to chill out. When I succeed, I always feel better, but of course I don't always succeed.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 03-08-2010 at 12:18 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #3  

I see your point. I just think that having been a shopper of usually 1 or 2 times per week, if the dashee isn't slowing down the line at all, people don't really complain much. I think it would be different if the dashee inconvienianced other people.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

There are rude people everywhere. Try to ignore their ignorance as much as you can. It is not worth it to raise your blood pressure over what you can't control.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #5  
Wandervogel

S/C/G: 241/214.5/150

Height: 5'4

I was always taught that while it's rude of someone to cut, it's also rude to point out to them that they cut! So I agree that it is frustrating, but my nature is to suffer in silence or be really passive-aggressive and make a face at the person behind ME.
Raichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I agree with Julie. In general, if someone only has a couple items, I'll let them go in front of me. If I'm already at the conveyer belt and I forgot something and there is someone behind me, I'll just forget it and get it next time.

When we had crazy snow last month, I went to the grocery store and it was crazy. I had a hand basket of items and there were 2 checkout 'lines', one had 2 checkers and another had just 1. There was a long line and it was closer to the line with 2 checkers so I figured everyone was there so I stood behind someone that seemed to be in line for the single checker. Well the lady behind me said I cut in front of her and I felt bad about it but went to the line and verified that people weren't in the line with 2 checkers. Funny thing is that I was checked out and out of the store before that lady got to the conveyer belt. I just assumed she was in the shorter line but that was my mistake.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Some things are just not worth getting knotted knickers. I'd just take a deep breath and smile.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Some things are just not worth getting knotted knickers. I'd just take a deep breath and smile.
I need to take your advice. I think sometimes it is made more intense because the people seem so dismissive---when you are overweight and people already seem to see through you, someone openly just cutting in front only makes it seem worse.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I don't think it's an attractive trait to move in front of someone who dashed back to get something, but I also don't think the dashee has much of a case to complain.
hahaha that really made me laugh!!

and then got me confused.. is it the "dashee" or the "dasher"?

i keep rofl in my head
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raichu View Post
I was always taught that while it's rude of someone to cut, it's also rude to point out to them that they cut!
I'm just the opposite. If someone cuts in front of me in a line I tend to tell them nicely, "excuse me, the line is back here" Most of the time they didn't realize the line was where it was, especially when it may block an isle. And there have been times when I was the one accidently cutting in line. I appreciate when some one politely tells me differently. Of course it's really annoying when you don't mean to, and someone is really mean about it.

I tend to let people who only have 1 or 2 items go in front of me anyway because I usually have more and use coupons. That backfired once on me, I let an old lady in front of me who only had one thing then she motioned for her friend and brought a huge cart full of stuff. They were both old so I just fumed silently and didn't make a fuss with them.

The unsanitary bread guy-he's just a jerk and you'll have to let it go.

Sarah in MD
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrkgrrrl View Post
hahaha that really made me laugh!!

and then got me confused.. is it the "dashee" or the "dasher"?

i keep rofl in my head
LOL, you are quite right. The *dasher* makes the mad run, the *dashee* is the one left behind (i.e., the one who gets dashed upon)
Old 03-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyu View Post
I'm just the opposite. If someone cuts in front of me in a line I tend to tell them nicely, "excuse me, the line is back here" Most of the time they didn't realize the line was where it was, especially when it may block an isle.
I usually say something. I'd much rather say something nicely and be done with it (whether or not the person cooperates) then stew on it in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyu View Post
And there have been times when I was the one accidently cutting in line. I appreciate when some one politely tells me differently. Of course it's really annoying when you don't mean to, and someone is really mean about it.
Again agreed. Which is why, in the first case, I say it nicely. I don't mind at all someone pointing out that I accidentally cut in line. I *do* mind being treated as though I did it on purpose.

I really don't mind the original situation posted (people dashing back for something). I just meant that if someone else minds me doing it, it might be kind of small of them, but I can't really insist they're wrong.

I'm not big enough, though, not to get steamed at people who park their kid/spouse in line while they finish shopping, to get a jump up on the line.

Or when you're waiting in a service line (fast food, movie tickets, whatever), long enough for the line to grow behind you, and a bunch of people "join" someone in front of you. They're together, but not placing the same order. They can wait the same as anyone else. I'd rarely if ever say something then, as it just creates a bunch of conflict and disturbs everyone around.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
LOL, you are quite right. The *dasher* makes the mad run, the *dashee* is the one left behind (i.e., the one who gets dashed upon)
hahahahha the one who gets dashed upon

hahahahhaa

jesus, i really needed a good laugh tonight

thanks, juls
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I find it annoying but I tend to let it go but I will let out a couple of loud sighs to let them know it has been noticed.

Just last week I let a woman go ahead of me because I had a cart full of items and she only had 2. Well...it is people like her that will make me double think doing that again. I was actually in a bit of a hurry myself but thought I would be nice and she quickly accepted and moved on ahead.

What I did not know was she had picked that line because she was friends with the cashier and needed to talk to her. She also spent lots of time looking through her pockets trying to find a one dollar bill..two coat pockets..pants pockets and her pocket book...all because she did not want to break a $10.

Anyways, she was talking and talking and talking to the cashier about when her break would be...the fact that she had books to return to the cashier in her vehicle....the last time she had seen her she had had a cold and still had it a few weeks later...well you get the picture. I seriously found her to be rude and not that it was needed but a thank you to me for letting her go ahead and visit with her friend would have been nice.

Last edited by lauralyn; 03-09-2010 at 08:31 AM.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 192/ticker/135

Oh, cutting is my pet peeve. Be it in lines generally or in cars. Like when there is a lane closure and there are signs for miles telling people about it and EVERYONE moves into the appropriate lanes and one jerk goes bombing down the closed lane and cuts everyone else....drives me insane. Can't understand why the people let them in! Seriously gets my blood boiling every single time. I refuse to let them into the lane-no matter what (esp. when they try to nose their way in).

When people try and cut and line I always say something. If it's an honest mistake you can usually tell...people are pretty transparent.
rachiebach is offline   Reply With Quote