General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #1  
Wandervogel

S/C/G: 241/214.5/150

Height: 5'4

Question My stomach is really, REALLY big!

Hey guys... I've been losing weight for about two months now and feel really great about the whole thing.

However, my body type is just plain awkward. Most of my fat is concentrated in my gigantic belly and upper thighs. I have a gigantic muffintop that I am, for the first time in my whole life, able to stuff into a pair of jeans instead of letting them ride below it. While I can see the weight loss, it just doesn't help that no matter what I wear, my stomach remains ridiculously disproportionate, to the effect that I get tons of "when is it due?" comments, even from my own mother (!)

Does anyone else have this problem? I know sit-ups won't help because you can't see the muscle through the fat. Is there any one thing that can help target it, or will it fix itself eventually?? I don't think I was always like this!
Raichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Raichu

I, too, carry most of my weight in my belly. Good for you, that in 2 months you are able to fit "it" into your jeans better for the first time in your whole life.

You are on the right track, however, there are specific exercises and foods which may help. I like this article from Mayo Clinic, which gives some insight; http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bel...SECTIONGROUP=2

I have lost many inches around my waist (I wish I had kept track). The frustration is that although my waist is much smaller, because the rest of me has also gotten smaller, I'm still apple shaped...and I know for me, the belly will be the absolute last to go...so I've accepted that.

I like some of the exercises this article mentions, and I think quality of food is really important, too. Simply put, consumption of white sugar and white flour are very influential in the development of belly fat. I've cut both out of my daily food plan.

Keep up the good work! I really believe that long term exercise and healthy eating is the ticket to getting rid of the stubborn belly fat forever!

Best Wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #3  
Esme

S/C/G: 201/148/130

Height: 5'3"

I'm as apple as they come. I weigh around 150 and if I didn't have my belly, I'd probably be a size 4 (currently around a 10). But it has definitely gotten a lot smaller due to my 50 lb weight loss, but I had the same experience as you, everything else got small too so it's still disproportionate. By the time I get my stomach to where I want it to be, I think im going to look really malnourished!

I did read somewhere that the apple body type is caused by higher level of male hormones. I have no idea if this is true or not (sounds a bit unflattering!) but I also read that flax seed can help with this. I can't remember where I read this but I figure flax seeds are great for you anyway, so why not try and eat more. There is a brand of bread called Healthy Life and they have a 100% whole grain natural flax seed bread that tastes exactly like other whole wheat breads so I have replaced it in my day to day. So again, I'm no scientist so I don't know if this works, but I figure it can't hurt, right?

The thing that I hate the most about having such a huge stomach is that all the pants I buy to fit in my mid section just hang off my legs! I think it looks so sloppy, so I mostly wear skirts and dresses.
foresmewithlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #4  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Apple here too it does get better though, as i get lower I am getting a little more curvey in the hips, but I think I am just going to look plain athletic rather than a nice hourglass. Which is ok for me, you can use lines and things to give the illusion of hips I've been there with the pregnancy suspicions too, just hang in there, it will get better
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:00 AM   #5  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

I am a true apple - My stomach and back hold most of my fat. Even though I have lost quite a bit of weight, I haven't lost near as much stomach as I would like. It makes me look heavier than I am and it keeps me from going down in sizes very quickly. For instance, the sleep shorts I am wearing right now are insanely baggy in the butt and legs, but they still fit in the waist. I hate it. The worst is right above my belly button, there's kind of a fold across the belly button then a jello-like pouch that sticks out right above it. Ugh!
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:30 AM   #6  
Wandervogel

S/C/G: 241/214.5/150

Height: 5'4

Justsharing - I have the pouch too!! Except I call it a bird beak... because that's what it looks like!!
Raichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 253.8/Ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I too am worried about my stomach. I carry most of weight there and I look pregnant. I have decided that I am just going to have to get a tummy tuck if nothing else because I think my skin is not going to be able to bounce back from the stretching of 3 kids and all the weight I put on it.
bremro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

This thread is appealing to me because I always thought I was a sturdy Flemish woman

You can look at my before picture and see that my belly stuck out further than my boobs (which weren't small either). My hips are kinda straight and my butt is kinda flat.

I have two columns of fat down either side of my belly button now. About a handful each. And there's a couple of handfuls under my c-section scar. I can definitly feel good muscle between these.

Chin up gals ... there's a torso under there. I promise!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/237/140

Height: 5'7

I have the same problem. This is only my 2nd week at my serious weight loss plan. However my sister is a physical therapist and her husband is training for a marathon so they both know a lot about fitness. My sister said that one thing that can help is core strengthening exercises...I just googled it and there are lots of different sites and things that you can do. That is what I am doing.
I started Feb. 28th at 214 lbs and 51" waist a week later I am at 205 lbs and a 47" waist. I cut out soda, I drink only water and 1 glass of V8 fusion juice a day. I eat 1200-1500 calories a day, and M, W, F I do an hour of cardio and T, TH, I do an hour of strength training. This seems to be working for me, and I honestly think just cutting some calories and not drinking soda has helped a lot.

Good luck to you and I am sure you will get to where you want to be!!
smccaleb06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Total apple here too.

I started out with a 51" waist and 55" hips, and I've come down to a 37" waist and 46" hips.

I have relatively slim legs and no butt to speak of, but my belly is convex, half moon shaped, from below my bra down to the tummy fold.

I have worked out constantly since I started losing weight-- lap swimming, weight lifting, core exercises, and now running. And I have noticed a big different-- but it frustrates me that my basic sideview silhouette is still the same-- pregnant looking-- even though it's A LOT smaller.

Sometimes I put on my old 24s and fold a pillow into the waistband to remind myself how far I've come. That helps.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

Some people just tend to carry more weight in their stomach, so, as you lose more weight, it should hopefully go down.
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #12  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I am pretty apple myself. AND, at my maintenance weight, asked if I am pregnant regularly. Of course, I work with pregnant women, so the idea is very present
Even so, I went to victoria secret and purchased a push up bra, and the sales person, as she was measuring me (at my LOWEST weight, and I was feeling darn good about it) asked me if I was expecting. I said, "YES, I am expecting a tummy tuck!!!!"
Sh said, "oh, did you just have a baby?"
I said "NO."
And we left it at that.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #13  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Apple here, too, and frustrated about it. Nothing looks good - all tops that fit in the shoulders are too tight around the middle; jeans that fit in the waist are hanging off my butt and legs *sigh*.

Anyway, chicks, quick question - when you measure your waist, do you put the tape at the smallest part of your middle, or around your belly button?
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #14  
I shall be released...

I measure across the belly button because that's where my pants sit. I think that's actually the smallest part too though, except the area right below the breasts, but that measurement isn't all that useful for me because it doesn't really affect the sizes I wear.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #15  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

I have the same problems! I have a big belly (although it is finally slightly smaller than my equally enormous boobs), and NO butt or hips. Jeans that fit in the waist hang off my rear, to the point that my DH affectionately calls me droopy drawers!

I have always talked about having reconstructive surgery once I am at goal for a year or so, I wonder if I can get butt implants at the same time! I would love to have a nice @**! LOL.
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote