Old 03-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #1  
To be fit and FLY....

Height: 5'6"

Default Workout / Getting Moving

Hello Everyone

I am sure there is a thread somewhere about this, but I'll ask those that read and are here often for your advise......

So in my NEW LIFE I am walking daily, I figure that's a start. Anyone go to Curves or a Gym or ????

How did you start out and what are you doing?

To those that are new here like me, what are you doing to make sure you stay MOVING.

My day job has me in front of the computer all day not moving at all - UGH so I really have to make sure that I MOVE.
Summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

I was a real gym rat, worked out daily for decades. We moved to CA, I had a 13 hour day and a three hour commute. I mostly quit working out and gained all this weight. About a year ago I herniated a disc in my back and realized working out was not optional any more. I joined the Y in November, and go every other day. I can't tell you how much better I feel, have so much energy. Before this I walked every day for half an hour but never noticed much difference, in weight, body shape or anything else.

I walk on the treadmill pretty fast for 1/2 hour, do all the weight machines and then swim for about 45 minutes. My body is beginning to reshape itself, I see a lot of muscle and have lost over 2 inches on my waist.

Start doing it now, women especially need to keep their bones strong and more muscles help everything, they burn up calories quicker than fat etc. Just do it!
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #3  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

There are lots of gym folk here; I'm not one. I walk, ride a stationary and/or real bike depending on the season, lift weights (easy to start with inexpensive hand weights), and so on.

I also make sure I shovel the snow, do some of the more physical chores, walk the dogs, walk the kids, do the grocery shopping and run the errands. I count these as "lifestyle" rather than workout, but it all keeps me active.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 317/266.5/180

Height: 5'7"

I go to my local gym. I love the people there, and the staff is amazing. I also walk outside (speaking of which it's beautiful today so I'm heading out side). I work in fast food, so I'm on my feet for at least 4 hours a day, if not more depending on my schedule. However, for desk jobs, I know people who sit on exercise balls instead of in a chair. I don't know if that woudl be an option for you, but I would give it a try.
possiblesuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Don't be afraid to start really, really slowly. As long as you increase what you are doing at a steady (and slow!) rate, you'll being doing tons of exercise before you know it.

When I started exercising August first, I could only do about 5 minutes on the stationary bike. The problems were both physical--I was dreadfully out of shape--and emotional--exercise made me terrible anxious for some reason. So I did five minutes twice a day, every day, and whenever I was comfortable, I pushed it up a tiny little step.

Now, I exercise 90 minutes every day. I feel strong and capable (though I am still slow and uncoordinated!). Little tiny steps--faith in making a long-term investment--made all the difference.

To put it another way: the first 3 months or so I was exercising, I wasn't exercising to lose weight. I was exercising to get into good enough shape to be able to exercise to lose weight. It sucked that I had to go through that step, but 3 months is not so long compared to the rest of my life.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #6  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

At my starting weight of 273, it hurt to even walk. I could barely make it around the block. When I talked to my Dr. she suggested trying to drop some weight first and then add in exercise. I'm down 17 lbs and have found that daily activity isn't exhausting me. I have been walking some in the evenings and trying to have fun in the fresh air on the weekends but I wouldn't call it exercise yet. I think I am feeling a bit healthier and stronger and now is probably the time to add walking as exercise and then re-evaluate as I go seeing how I feel. I imagine I'll join the gym when it feels right for me.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #7  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

That's well said, shmead. I started off with 10 minutes, not 5, but it was for the same reasons. I have worked for months to get even this far - and I'm noboody's athlete.

It all helps, though, and gets you to where you want to be if you do what you're doing and bend your mind toward ways of being active.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote