Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #1  

Default Dr. Oz's belly fat-blasting smoothie....

Hi,

Did anyone try/see Dr. Oz's smoothie recipe posted in Womans World Magazine dated March 8th? I love Dr. Oz, and had to get it to see what it was. LOL Well I bought all of the ingredients and let me say, it doesn't taste great, but I plan on drinking it everyday. Anyone else try it or thinking about it? I honestly do not drink it thinking it will blast my belly fat, I know everything in it is good and it keeps me full. Just wish the taste was a little better. LOL

Here is the recipe:

In blender whip:

1 cup of juice (any variety)
1/2 banana or 3/4 berries (I added both)
2 tbs whey powder (I use 1 scoop)
2 tbs ground flaxseed
1 tbs ground psyllium husk
1 tbs chia seeds (I use ground)
1 tbs wheat germ
600 mg fish oil (from supplement caspules, break open and add oil only)
3 ice cubes

Last edited by JackiG; 03-02-2010 at 10:00 AM.
JackiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

It looks like it is healthy and full of fiber, so it couldn't be too bad! But sister, you lost me at fish oil! I do hope the doc never suggests that I take it. My ex keeps trying to give me two big bottles that he bought. He told me he burps up fishy tasting gas when he takes them. Bleh.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #3  

I never had that problem when taking fish oil. LOL Actually you only open 1 capsule, my capsules are 900mg each. The first one I made I gave to dh, he was a sport and drank all of it, when I made mine I added more ice. It needed it! LOL
Old 03-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #4  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

I'd take the capsules of fish oil and drink the smoothie as is without them in it if I were you.

Personally, I use Flora's oil http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...ucts/R7980.asp
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I eat everything except for the psyllium husk and chia seeds on a regular basis on its own, so I don't think I'd go for the shake. I love mixing wheat germ and flax seed along with walnuts into my yogurt. And I'd rather eat fish than take a pill.

It looks healthy though. It falls into the category of "why not" for me.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #6  

I thought about doing that. The wheat germ is an oil as well, and smells funky. LOL Probably the main reason I don't mind adding the small amount of fish oil, I don't think that one is the problem.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out!
Old 03-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #7  

Hey! I just tried it this morning for the first time. Like you, I'm not expecting miracles, just something easy, healthy, and will keep me full! So far so good.

I used Odwala Mango Tango as my juice, I think that helped with the taste a lot. And the fish oil supplements I got are lemon flavored, I detected absolutely NO fishy taste at all. I would have dumped the whole thing if I had!!

I will definitely add the ice cubes tomorrow. All the fiber makes it REALLY thick, so I think it needs the ice to break it up and keep it tasting good.
luckyredlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #8  

Thanks for the tip, I will have to try that!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
It looks like it is healthy and full of fiber, so it couldn't be too bad! But sister, you lost me at fish oil! I do hope the doc never suggests that I take it. My ex keeps trying to give me two big bottles that he bought. He told me he burps up fishy tasting gas when he takes them. Bleh.
My kids (4 and 6) LOVE fish oils but I buy the flavored Nordic Naturals stuff. They really like the peach and lemon. I used to take fish oil capsules and had super bad fishy burps until I started taking them with food. Now I just don't take them because I have a blood clotting disorder and fish oils thin the blood.
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I did see the article and recipe, but for the life of me I can't figure out why you would ruin the taste of the smoothie by adding fish oil. Swallow the capsules (with the shake or with a glass of water), and then drink the shake.

I also consider the amount of fiber a bit extreme. Five tablespoons (in total) of flax seeds, psyllium husks, chia seeds, and wheat germ. Metamucil is a psyllium husk laxative and the recommended dose is 1 teaspoon.

The fiber in this smoothie is going to give many folks (anyone who isn't eating much fiber now, or anyone with a sensitive digestive tract, or digestive health issues like IBS) a tremendous belly ache (and the need to stay within 20 feet of a restroom). Also a lot more than 1 cup of fluid needs to accompany that much fiber, or painful constipation could occur.

Sudden increase in fiber + sufficient fluids can = severe diarrhea

Sudden increase in fiber + insufficient little fluids can = painful constipation

Five tablespoons of fiber may be fine for Dr. Oz and his family, but I would wonder if they're leaving out the part about them adding that much fiber gradually, or the fact that the family was eating lots and lots of fiber before adding the shake.

I find it hard to believe that Dr. Oz, or any doctor would recommend that much fiber (without suggesting gradual incremental increases) to someone not used to a large fiber intake.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-02-2010 at 05:41 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Good point, Kaplods! Work up to it.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #12  

You make great points, and I agree! As far as the fish oil, I made the smoothie with, and with out (took the pill with water beforehand). I can't tell a difference either way. The wheat germ has a strong taste, so I am sure it covers the taste of the fish oil.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #13  

thank you, thank you! I did not pick up this issue when I saw it and now I can not find it anywhere! Appreciate the information and, despite any bad taste, I plan to try it! Thank you JackiG!
dhanna19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #14  

You're welcome dhanna19!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

where do you find Chia seeds? Is that the same as the chia pet stuff?
Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote