Old 03-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Talking workplace changing

The "workplace noticing" thread got me to thinking. I have certainly done my share of complaining about workplace food and how difficult it is, so I want to give my coworkers a pat on the back. I am not quite sure if I have changed or if my coworkers have changed (I suspect it is both) but the food situation seems easier.

I have been eating healthy food and not junk for a long time now. I don't make a big deal about it, but everyone pretty much has accepted it. I never said it but I think that everyone thinks I am diabetic. No one tries to get me to eat their junk any more.

We are having an ice cream social in a couple of weeks and this morning the lady organizing it came to talk to me. She asked for suggestions of things that I can eat and commented that there may be others that have the same eating limitations. I told her that it wasn't a big deal. I will bring some no sugar individual yogurts and put them in the freezer a couple of days in advance. I will have frozen yogurt and there will be plenty for anyone else that wants it. Problem solved.

This is a huge step forward. This same lady once told me that I should eat the high fat, high sugar items that we were having at a retreat because "it is just one day."
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/TickTickBoom/ST-220

Height: 5'6

It's like a ripple effect! Good to know people are thinking ahead! Even if it is just for you and possible others with your "limitations" and not themselves.
Gourmet Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #3  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

love it! Stories like these give me hope
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

that is great that she's made such a turnaround and is now being so supportive!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Yes, that really is good to hear. It's always such relief to walk into a social situation knowing that there is going to be healthy food, so you don't have to do the usual pre-planning & inspection & setting self-limits thing & can actually have fun & enjoy the social part. (Well, theoretically, because you already did your planning anyway!)

Last edited by saef; 03-03-2010 at 07:04 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #6  

I've actually been thinking about this issue a bit - I posted on the other thread that we don't have treats all that often in my dept, but the one time we always do is when it's someone's birthday. Mine is coming up in just over a month, and I can't think of a good way to say "please don't get a cake or cookies!" Normally, it's pretty easy for me to just pass the box of treats without taking one but when it's MY treat, that will be a little awkward.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

PeanutsMom, would you feel comfortable making a request and asking for something like fruit instead of cake?
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #8  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Tell them how much you love angel food cake (or some other low or lower calorie dessert) and ask if they could get that for you.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
I never said it but I think that everyone thinks I am diabetic. No one tries to get me to eat their junk any more. ."

It's interesting that, once again, people are respectful of someone not eating goodies when they think it's a health issue like diabetes. Somehow wanting to lose weight or a lifestyle change must not count as a health issue.

I am glad that your coworker is being supportive.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #10  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

A fruit platter would be a nice idea.

What I really want to tell them for my birthday or other such treats is: "Bring in a pint of off-season raspberries or blueberries & just leave them on my desk. And maybe some nonfat Fage yogurt to top them off with."

But will they ever do that, even if I ask? No. Because it's not about me. Not really. It's about the whole dep't using someone's birthday as an excuse to indulge THEMSELVES. "Oh, we have a dispensation to eat, eat, eat sugary junk. It's a special occasion."

Communal meal together in the safe cave, away from the wild animals, & all that. Everyone eating the same dish: A sign of hospitality & that nothing is poisoned & that we all share the same tastes, thus the same feeling of fellowship.

It's an issue that is never going to go away. It's too deeply rooted in human tradition.

So all we can hope to change is the actual foodstuff.

Last edited by saef; 03-03-2010 at 07:10 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #11  

yes, it's definitely a communal eating situation. I can try mentioned I'd like fruit, but it's this sort of weird non-surprise surprise thing where you know it will happen but you are still supposed to pretend to be surprised.

And the other wrinkle is that no one at my work place has mentioned my weight loss. I'm at about 33 lbs down now, and while yes, I'm still pretty heavy, that is a pretty big amount of weight to drop and at this point, I'd say it is objectively noticeable. So part of me wonders if there is some unwritten etiquette that makes it an unmentionable subject, so I haven't brought it up either. Which makes me uncertain if I'm comfortable putting it out there by asking for fruit.

I'd love to just stay home on my birthday! lol! (but that won't work because they would just do it another day)
Old 03-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #12  
Cute and fun to be with

S/C/G: 250/ticker/125

Height: 5' 5.5"

This is exactly why I have become the baker of my team. I can make cakes which are lower in fat (I use applesauce) and sugar, and make individual servings, so I don't have to contend with the cake cutter that decides that since there are 6 of us the cake should be cut in 6 pieces.
Sadly though, the team seems to be moving in the wrong direction. One of my team members was totally on the weight loss train last year around his birthday. He was losing and being active and really happy with it. In deference to this (and without asking him -- he was new to the team and didn't speak up yet) I made angel food cake with fresh berries and light whipped cream for his cake.

This year he wants black forest cake.
knobhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #13  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I've noticed a lot more healthy eating around my office too, and more food brought from home---don't know if it's trying to save money or we're getting older and wiser!
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #14  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Yippee! That is freaking awesome!! I am sure they realize how much it means to you and they are respecting that and helping you! that is incredible.

I think for the most part my work place is the same but still have the yahoo's that bring the donuts and offer me one. Or just sit them right where I can see them ALL the time lol Makes me insane!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote