General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #1  
19Deltawifey

Default What size bed do you have (couples question)

Well I have been married 6.5 years and we have 2 kids. Well me and my husband have a queen size bed and he likes to snuggle/cuddle while in bed, me on the other hand I hate being touched while trying to sleep or fall asleep. I don't mind snuggling when I'm not trying to fall asleep. We are currently in the process of getting a King size bed so that I can have more space. My husband is 6'2 and hogs the whole bed leaving me with 1/4 of the bed and he constantly moves or elbows me while he's sleeping.

I was wondering what size bed everyone has and how are you able to get a good nights sleep while sharing a bed with someone who hogs the bed? I Love my husband to death but I really need sleep and these past couple of weeks its been impossible to sleep threw the night without waking up constantly. So what are your sleeping arrangements with your significant other?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

We have a queen bed. When we first met, we were both 250 lbs plus and we shared a twin!!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #3  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

We've been married 30 years and have always had just a full (double) bed. It's been fine except for the past year, when I've really noticed the difference that I am sorry to say I feel really overtaken, that I get about only 1/3 of space instead of half. When DH moved or turns over, the whole bed moves and I wake up then too. I can usually get back to sleep right away...usually.

I have had 2 people express incredulousness that we have such a small bed, I mean they were incredulous to the point of being kinda irritating ('I can't BELIEVE you guys have such a small bed!') well sometimes space is a valid concern, tiny bedroom and such. I must say that I think a queen size would be perfect for us now.

I bought a king sized comforter at Christmas for us, as I was hoping that would help some, that when DH takes 'his share' there would then be enough for me! There is enough comforter but now I don't like how heavy the weight of it is.

well you asked for opinions and you got my complaining one
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

My bf and both have queen sized beds. They're the perfect size of both of us. We've shared doubles when we stayed in crappy hotel rooms or crashed at friends, and neither of us gets a good night sleep. We've shared king sized beds and don't use the entire bed, there's lots of wasted space. Plus a king size bed wouldn't fit in my room, probably my bf's but not mine. I have a king sized comforter though, for the same reason VermontMom has one! My bf is a blanket hog!!!!!

Totally off topic, but my dream is to have his and her bathrooms!!! I hate sharing a bathroom with my bf he's such a slob and I have to much crap. When he stays at my place, I make him use the 2nd bathroom in the guest room!
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/237/170

Height: 5'4"

My husband and I share a king sized bed and I couldn't imagine it any other way. I, like you, love to snuggle with him but when that moment has passed I like to roll over to my side of the bed and get comfortable with my three pillows and fall asleep. It is a rarity that I can fall asleep while cuddling. I think it's the body heat. I don't like being too warm and therefore prefer to fall asleep touching no one. I'm also not a very still sleeper and the buffer of the extra space helps ensure my husband's qualily of sleep.
onanotherquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #6  

Height: 5'2''

For the past 5 years my now fiance and i have been dating we have shared twin beds! (We were both in college and thus were limited to twins). Even though he is out of school he still only has a twin, but once we get married in May we are getting a Queen. Sharing the twin hasn't actually been bad but we always sleep in one of two positions- him on his back and me laying sideways on him or spooning. The only time it is a problem is if one of us is sick or sunburn- and then it feels crowded. It will be strange to have so much space with a Queen!
tigger175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Me and my fiance have a Queen sized bed, and it's definitely not big enough. I want an Eastern King. He twitches in his sleep (something to do with having tight leg muscles) and both of us like to sleep totally spread out, arms and legs splayed everywhere. It's most comfortable. I hate the size of our bed now although the actual bed and mattress we have is amazing. From Ikea, BTW.

I'm just like you, I can't have him anywhere near me when i want to fall asleep. Whenever I'm really sleepy, I don't know how to describe it but I get all sensitive to the touch and it's irritating to have him next to me.

If your husband is 6'2, you should get a California (or Western) King. The California is 4 inches longer, and the Standard (or Eastern) King is four inches wider, and since me and the fiance are both under 6 feet, we don't need it longer.

So basically, a Standard King is wider than a Queen and the sam length, and the California King is wider and longer (but not as wide as the Standard King).

http://interiordec.about.com/od/buyi...bedsizes_3.htm

When we didn't live together, and I had the same double bed throughout college (I actually really miss that bed... from IKEA too), and whenever he'd visit me, I'd get a horrible night of sleep (He was in the Army, so that a-hole can sleep anywhere). We would have gotten an Eastern King when we moved in together but it was too expensive.

To the above posters who share small beds with their SOs... I don't know how you do it! I would like to share a small bed with my SO but I just can't.

Last edited by sunflowergirl68; 03-02-2010 at 09:14 PM.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #8  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
We have a queen bed. When we first met, we were both 250 lbs plus and we shared a twin!!
How on earth did you do that? Even two healthy adults would have difficulty doing that! If you like being snuggly it would definitely work!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The bed was about 3-4 inches out from being against the wall, and I remember sleeping with my butt firmly in that wall/mattress area...we called it "sleeping in the crack".
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #10  
banned

hahaha that's pretty funny. My double bed was always against a wall, too, and I'd always be the one against the wall, and a couple of times, he almost pushed me off in his sleep.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Been married for 22+ years and for the majority of that time we've had a king bed. Neither of us want to snuggle once we're ready for sleep so it's a win-win for us!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #12  
19Deltawifey

When we dated we shared a twin bed which was fine we were young and could sleep through anything but now I could not imagine us in a twin. Its weird that we lasted so long with this queen bed and now its too small. He can sleep in any position since he was deployed 2 times. I'm so happy that we are getting a bigger bed because right now Im so grouchy from lack of sleep. It sucks having to wake up every 30 minutes to move him over to his side of the bed. I also get really hot when I sleep so I usually have the fan blowing on me and when he touches me it makes me sweat since Im over heating. Its good to see Im not the only girl who likes her space while sleeping
Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Angie and I have a

we also have trundle beds in the 2 guest rooms....

she ends up there sometimes if I am snoring or...

a bit gassy

oh stop I have been known to leave for one of the kids old rooms myself
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I tend to be rather blunt, so for sensitive souls there may be tmi ahead.

When my husband and I first moved in together, we each had queen-sized beds. He liked his hard mattress and I liked my soft mattress. The bedroom was huge, so we put them side by side to make one humongous bed.

Then we moved into another apartment and the bedrooms were smaller. I actually was having a lot of health problems and had to sleep with the head of the bed elevated (we did it by elevating the whole head end of the bed), but hubby couldn't sleep that way, so we had separate bedrooms (we were still newlyweds, so we'd use hubby's room for recreational use, but we slept in separate beds).

Since moving to Wisconsin, we've each had twin beds (I don't need mine elevated anymore) that are pushed together to be one big bed.

In all truthfulness, I slept better when we had separate rooms. Hubby says the same.

In terms of comfort, the two queens pushed together was pretty awesome (We're both space hogs), but impracticul unless you have a really huge bedroom (in our first apartment the bedroom was almost twice the size of the living room).

The two twins work out as the best compromise. Plenty of room for sex and cuddling, but we each get to sleep on the mattress we prefer. We also talked about "sleeping in the crack," but mean that if we cuddle, someone's body is straddling the crack between the two mattresses. Comfortable for a short while, but not for the whole night, so eventually we both gravitate back to our own side of the bed after cuddling time.

When we had seperate bedrooms, some friends and family were horrified, because we were "too newly married" to be sleeping in separate rooms. We would laugh and say "You do know that seperate bedrooms doesn't stop us from having sex, right?"

In fact, I think we had more energy for that sort of thing when we weren't sleeping in the same room. What I wouldn't give for a good set of earplugs (hubby snores, and apparently I sometimes do too).

Last edited by kaplods; 03-02-2010 at 10:36 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 270/208.6/165 (HW285)

Height: 6'

I'm 6ft and hubby is between 6'3" and 6'4". We had a queen for a long time and it was comfortable. We moved to a king about 4 years ago. The extra room is nice. We do occasionally get stuck trying to sleep on a full size (hotels, our rv, etc.); it is hard because we are touching the whole night, and if one of us goes to roll over there's no way to not bump the other person and disturb their sleep.
mkyice is offline   Reply With Quote