Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 324/279/170

Height: 5'10"

Default New clothes on a budget?

Hi folks-

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I went back several pages and wasn't able to find it.

I had surgery on Monday (Feb. 22), so I'm still in the recovering on liquids phase. But I've already lost nine pounds, so serious weight loss is already a reality for me. After being obese my entire life, this is all very surreal.

Anyway, it won't be long before I need new clothes. Problem being: I'm on a budget. I'm a college student who isn't getting any financial support from my parents. All of my extra money is going to pay the hospital, and I'm graduating in May (at which point I'll be moving to a new city). Yes, it would have been ideal to give myself extra time to save up money before the surgery, but I wanted to be on the right track by the time I entered the job market.

So, to those of you who are post-op, do you have any budget-friendly tips for new clothes? I simply can't justify spending much for clothing that I'll only wear for a few weeks.

I'd sure appreciate any advice you guys have for me. Thanks!!!!!
dani4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #2  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

I would always buy a couple of pairs of jeans at Walmart for $12 and a couple of $5 shirts and rotate them, but I don't work outside the home so that might not work for you. Thrift stores and clothes swaps are an other good way to get new to you clothes cheap. And of course consignment shops are good. I got a dress for New years eve for $5 and it looked brand new.
Gook Luck to you and keep up the good work
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #3  
food bloody food

S/C/G: 245/242/160

Height: 5'4"

I'm not post op but thrift stores are amazing and target has some awesome 25%, 50%+ off sales....if they have any Ross stores where you are, they have some pretty good stuff for cheap.
heartface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #4  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Me too heartface, not post-op but I recently started an exec type job where before I've always worn uniforms. My pre-weight loss clothes were way too big, so I had to buy new ones.

My wardrobe is a combination of classic basics from eBay, $5 shirts from Target/K-mart during the post Christmas sales (lucky I started my new job in the new year!) and thrift store purchases. We have a lovely local place and the manager knows me now - she's in my running club. So she will put aside things she thinks I may be interested in and that will fit me as they come in.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #5  
Points Master

S/C/G: 357/T/180

Height: 5'7"

I hit JC Penney's many 75% off sales and Burlington coat factory has great deals as well.
BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #6  
fabulous by 40

S/C/G: 240

Height: 5'04

Look for thrift shops in high end areas, usually you can find great stuff. Also check with your dr's office there may be a clothing exchange among patients there.

For new stuff, the sale racks at Old Navy, Kohls and Sears are fantastic. Not to mention the previously stated Target and Walmart.
sindurella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I lost about 35 pounds before I needed anything and than I hit some thrift stores which I am now addicted to..

you could also post an ad to Craigslist..I agree about not spending too much for things you are going to toss in a few weeks.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

yes to everything everyone above said. and i'll add another two cents - BECAUSE you're going to be in the job market soon, and in a new city. you're going to have to look GREAT. And that means professional clothes that fit and look great. so, starting now, as you're cruising thrift stores, consignment shops, and sales, notice who has the good stuff - look for classics [sometimes that means boring!].

and don't forget your own closet. if you have some professional clothes in there, as time gets closer, take them to a tailor and see if they can do something. sometimes they just can't but it's always worth asking about.

and THEN to bring some of these clothes up to date - and to give the HIRE ME vibe, accessorize well. good earrings [for me, that often means classy handmade art earrings], a cool pin or necklace. and lipstick and invest in a good haircut. and good posture [mine's slipping these days].

you'll make a great impression.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 274 / 216 / 150

Height: 5'6"

Do you have a Clothes Mentor or something similar out by you? They buy and sell gently used clothing. I give away most of my old clothing to goodwill, but the nicer shirts I'll take them in and use the money I get to buy something cheap that fits. I still aim to loose a lot more weight, so I don't want to buy expensive new clothes.

Link: http://www.clothesmentor.com/Store_Locator.php

Last edited by Smiller264; 02-28-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Link Added
Smiller264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

dani4a: Sitting here typing, I've got on an Eddie Bauer sweater $3.29, Lands End jeans $5.99, all brand new, and from Goodwill. My winter coat is a brand-new Lands End for $19.99 and I know it was over $100 at Sears. Not everything I buy is new, but it is gently used and I can afford it. I hadn't worked for 7 years because of obesity and didn't have the money to spend on a rapidly changing body. My hiking boots are also from there and they Columbian brand with tags on, $3.99. Suit jackets are $5.99 and a whole suit is $8.99. My dress slacks are Relativity, Lees, Dockers, LA Blues, Liz Claiborne, St. John's Bay.....I'll be darn if I'll spend $30.00 to $40.00 on a pair of slacks, when I can get practically new ones for $3.99. I have to admit that there are about 8 Goodwills in a fifty mile radius. Plus two really nice up-scale resale shops and a Salvation Army. My nieces are both college students and they take me Goodwill shopping all the time. There is also a clothes swap about 30 miles from me. I take in something and trade even up for something else. If I can't find anything than I just leave the clothes there. Good luck!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 324/279/170

Height: 5'10"

Thank you, everyone, for your replies.

My college town is fairly affluent, so we have one large thrift store (savers) and a couple smaller ones. I've learned to avoid them because they only tend to carry clothes in size 10 or below (hoorah for living in the "healthiest" city in America). So those shops will become an option in a few months. For now, I think I'll try hitting up a few shops in Denver, where I'm more likely to find something in my size.

As for Kohls, Ross, Old Navy, etc., do any of you have suggestions for times when those stores might have particularly amazing sales? I know I missed the boat on post-Christmas sales, but what do I have to look forward to?

I guess I've been shopping with Lane Bryant a little too long...
dani4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #12  
fabulous by 40

S/C/G: 240

Height: 5'04

dani.. Kohls, and OldNavy have huge clearance sections in the back of the stores year round. I regularly find jeans at Kohls for $7 to $10 bucks. Old Navy though you need to try on their stuff because their sizes flux so much.
sindurella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 350/332/200

Height: 5'7

eBay!
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

i like goodwill better than the savers here in washington. I also love old navy's clearance racks, i stop by there often and get stuff in various sizes and ust try them on once in a while, until they fit. if you see something on sale, and you dont fit it yet.... well you can still get it cause you will prolly fit it later
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote