South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #1  

Default Substitutions?

I know. I'm picky.
I'm starting Phase 1 tomorrow. Today I'm putting together my menu for next week and will be grocery shopping a bit later.

I have a couple of questions on substitutions. I saw the thread on using tofu for ricotta, which I'm going to try (really dislike the texture of ricotta and it always tastes sour to me). My next biggie is the "vegetable juice cocktail".

I dislike V8 with an intensity that borders on the extreme. I have tried to drink it, and I can't. It makes me gag. I don't know if there is something in there that I'm reacting to, but I just cannot explain how much I really dislike the stuff.

Any good ideas on a sub for the V8? I want the nutritional value associated with it, but...
LadyJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: maintaining

I don't like or drink V8. I am working on eating my veggies instead. And I know that some recipes for ricotta work with cottage cheese. Just want to be sure that you know you do not need to follow the menu plan in the book. So you can skip both things!

Welcome and happy PH1

Last edited by WaistingTime; 02-27-2010 at 03:36 PM.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

You are better off eating vegetables. Vegetable juice is just a suggestion for those who don't want vegetables with their breakfast.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

And just to be sure you understand, you don't have to follow the menus in the book. In my 9 mos on SBD I have yet to eat tofu or ricotta. I have taken the guidelines of the plan and modified menus to include foods I enjoy.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #5  
Be happy.

Hello Lady Jez! I'm glad you're joining us.

If I had to rely on the menus in the book I never would have made it through phase 1. LOL I get some great menu ideas from the weekly "on plan" threads. Most remember to post which phase they're on and we've got some really great cooks around here.

Also, please be sure to check out the daily chat threads (Sat and Sun are combined as a weekend chat) and the new Phase 1 thread Kim started. We're a friendly bunch so please don't be shy about joining in.

Last edited by Heidi58; 02-27-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

You've already got your answer, but I will echo everyone else. You don't HAVE to eat any of the suggested menus. Those are just that, suggestions. I happen to like V8 and it's an easy way to get my veggies in the morning. You are just as well or better off having real veggies with your breakfast. I hardly ever make the ricotta dessert anymore because I have found so many other dessert recipes that I like better. I'm not sure how it would be with tofu, but give it a try. If you don't like it, you will certainly find something else you do enjoy. The whole point of SB is you should be eating foods you enjoy that also happen to be SB "legal". If you are eating stuff you don't like just because it's on the plan, you will be setting yourself up to fail.

Good luck!! This is a great place to be for support!
Kslosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #7  

Have you tried different brands of ricotta? I've noticed radical differences in texture from one brand to another. The more expensive, the better, I've found.
kev524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev524 View Post
Have you tried different brands of ricotta? I've noticed radical differences in texture from one brand to another. The more expensive, the better, I've found.

Walmart brand ricotta is yucky and so is my local grocery brand, but Sargento & Frigo here are much better!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #9  

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice.

I'm one of those people that have to start with the structure. I was on South Beach a couple of years ago, and tried the "guidelines" way. Didn't work out too well for me, so I'm going to try to stick to the suggested menu as much as possible.

I guess I'll just have to eat more veggies. Oh well...
LadyJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #10  

Height: 5'8"

You could try straight tomato juice if that sounds more palatable. I get my morning veggies in the savory ricotta egg muffin recipe (although I use cottage cheese, because it's cheaper, and maybe this might appeal to you because the texture and flavor are totally camoflauged in the muffins). I add spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc. whatever veggies I have on hand to my muffins.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #11  
Be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJez View Post
I'm one of those people that have to start with the structure. I was on South Beach a couple of years ago, and tried the "guidelines" way. Didn't work out too well for me, so I'm going to try to stick to the suggested menu as much as possible.

Sounds like you've got a good plan. I look forward to reading about your success!

If it gets to be a struggle, you should be able to substitute for the things you don't like without scrapping the menus. Just stick to these guidelines when you substitute and double check the phase 1 foods list

Breakfast: A protein rich food and at least 1/2 cup veggies
Lunch: A protein rich food and at least 2 cups of veggies
Dinner: A protein rich food and at least 2 cups of veggies

Snacks and dessert are optional so you can either substitute or just skip those you don't care for. Because I don't like ricotta I substituted SF fudgcicles for the ricotta desserts, and ate eggs or cottage cheese instead of the ricotta breakfast dishes. Just remember not to go over the 75 calorie/day sweet treat limit.

Again, good luck!
Old 02-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #12  

Height: 5'8"

Heidi, this begs a question. I usually eat at least 1/2 cup of my veggies at one snack or sometimes too. Theoretically, is it ok to skip veggies at breakfast as long as you have 1/2 cup veggies at morning snack?
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJez View Post
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice.

I totally understand the need for structure, I'm the same way.... my only concern is that if you use the menus from the book and force yourself to eat things that you really don't like, that it makes this a lifetime WOE that is much harder to stick with...

I don't know if you've seen the meal templates that are located here...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...meal-plan.html

If you follow the templates to the letter those may provide the structure you need and you'll be every bit as successful as you would following the meal plans... there really isn't any need to eat either ricotta or V8 if you don't like them.
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #14  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmckellen View Post
Heidi, this begs a question. I usually eat at least 1/2 cup of my veggies at one snack or sometimes too. Theoretically, is it ok to skip veggies at breakfast as long as you have 1/2 cup veggies at morning snack?
I've always understood it as at least 4.5 c of veggies per day. If you are getting some of that in snacks that seems to work.

Last edited by CyndiM; 02-28-2010 at 05:38 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #15  
Be happy.

Thanks Cyndi.

I love my v8 and have never had trouble getting my breakfast veggies in.
It's more lunch/dinner that I have to pay attention to. Those are the meals where I sometimes fall short.

Last edited by Heidi58; 02-28-2010 at 05:43 PM.