Old 02-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/198/150

Height: 5'7"

Default going to a Mexican resturant,what to order?

the resturant does not have a web site to check out first(I haven't found it yet).I'm budgeting my calories very close today to allow for it,but afraid I'll go over my budget.What would you order?
beliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #2  
One Day at a Time...

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/165

Height: 5'4

A taco salad WITHOUT the shell!!! They still taste great just without the carbs!!!!!!!!! Enjoy!!!!
Beautifully Flawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I often order Carnitas, and a side of pico de gallo, because the calories are simple to count (if you're pretty good at estimating portion sizse). Roasted chunks of pork, sometimes with cooked onion and/or bell pepper.

Usually there are also fairly simple grilled fish and steak dishes that are also easy to count (because they're not in mystery sauces). Fajitas can be very good, or they can be very oily. Shrimp Fajitas tend to be less oily (in my experience).

If I'm going to eat any bread, I always order corn tortillas, because they're usually about 50 calories each, where the flour tortillas are generally over 100 (and I now I have another reason to choose corn, as I may be allergic to wheat).

There's also a shrimp cockail (Coctel de cameron) I order if it's on the menu. It's often listed with the appetizers, but I order it as a meal. It's usually served in clear glass sundae glasses and/or brandy snifters, and often comes in several sizes, and you have to ask the server how big they are, because some restaurants have reasonable portions and the large is meal-sized and some have ridiculously huge portions, and the large may come out in a brandy snifter the size of a small aquarium.

To giver you an idea of what it's like I posted a link to an online version, and then my own recipe.

In a restuarant they usually serve it with saltines, but I don't eat them, and sometimes I'll ask for it without the avocado, but usually I just eat some of the avocado and leave some behind (the sauce the shrimp is in, is usually like gazpacho, a chunky cold soup). I'm not usually a gazpacho fan, but this is awesome.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Coctel-De-...ocktail-310287

My Recipe

The amounts of ingredients aren't really that important.

about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of
chopped green onion, small handful
chopped bell pepper and/or cucumber
chopped tomato (seeds and soft center removed - just the firm parts)
salsa of your choice, about 2/3 to 1 cup
(Ideally I like to use a fresh salsa or pico de gallo, but in a pinch I'll use Pace. Often fresh salsa eliminates the need for the onion, tomato, and cilantro).
finely chopped cilantro, couple tablespoons
avocado diced in small cubes (optional, If I use it, I only use a little bit of avocado)
cooked shrimp, about a cup
tomato juice (to thin the salsa to your taste - optional)
little squeeze of lime (I don't use if I don't have it)
pinch of sweetener if the salsa is too tart (optional)

Just mix everything together (sometimes I don't thaw the shrimp, I just put them in the salsa the night before and let them thaw and marinate in the salsa - but don't add the fresh ingredients till right before I'm ready to eat it)

Last edited by kaplods; 02-27-2010 at 10:11 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I was going to say the same as beautifully flawed , a taco salad but do not eat the shell. Fajitas may be ok, too, but skip the beans and rice and do not go near the chips and salsa. And run like crazy from sour cream and guacamole.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #5  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

If they have an a la carte menu, you could order a couple of tacos and maybe a SMALL side of rice (if you're not too worried about carbs.) That way you avoid all the aformentioned "mystery" sauces as well as the sour cream/guac/refried beans. (I do eat refired beans at home because I know what's in them...in restaurants, though, they're usually drowning in cheese and God knows what else.)

The above is not exactly a "diet" meal, but much easier to estimate your calories and stay in your budget than if you ordered a combo plate.

Last edited by NorthernExposure; 02-27-2010 at 12:00 PM.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Fish tacos can be safe, depending on how they cook the fish. Most authentic Mexican restaurants cook it on the grill, put it in soft non-fried shells, and don't add cheese or other high cal ingredients. (Some tex-mex may tend to batter and fry, and add cheese and sour cream).

Cover with a spicy pico de gallo and avoid rice, beans and chips. If you need something else on it, try guac instead of sour cream. Good fats! You'd be surprised at how filling they are, and you won't miss the sides. If you don't think you can watch others eat chips without you, see if they have shrimp cocktail for an appetizer. My local place does.

Like Northern Exposure just said, not a diet meal, but a decent compromise.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #7  

one good thing,I'm not a fan of the chips & salsa.The one thing I love is the cheese sauce ,oh & the fried icecream!
Old 02-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #8  
WW Moderator

Whew, that cheese sauce is so high fat that I feel funny when I eat it. Kinda like my esophagus is melting. I hadn't eaten it for a very long time, and a few weeks ago we picked up some chile rellenos on the way home and I couldn't even eat them. I had to scrape the cheese off!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #9  

back from the Mexican resturant,didn't do too bad.Had a taco salad with chicken,ate about half & just a little of the bowl(couldn't resist).Then we went grocery shopping at Walmart,so I got some walking in.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Howdy,
Part of the answer depends on your calorie goals. If I eat light throught the rest of the day, I can have 2 enchiladas, 1 cheese, 1 chicken, 1/2 cp charro beans, 1/2 cp rice, and 10 chips.

My limit on calories is 1300/day.

Living in SA, I must find a way to enjoy Mexican food and still lose weight.

Best wishes.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #11  

Chicken tacos or chicken fajitas on corn tortillas. All of their food is going to be high in sodium. Corn tortillas are 50 calories each. If you get a chicken taco salad, do not eat the shell, and omit the cheese.
JackiG is offline   Reply With Quote