Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 11:04 AM   #1  

Default Newbie

I've completed my initial consultation with surgeon for RNY surgery. Hoping to have procedure end of February/early March. Any insite you guys can pass along will be greatly aprpeciated. I hope to be an active participant to this board, as I will be needing support along the way and will gladly share my experiences, as well.

Lorrie
Old 01-15-2003, 06:31 PM   #2  
- 50 lbs!!! 3/17/03

Default WELCOME!

Welcome welcome welcome - - - this is a great place for some support! I'm relatively new to the site - but have been enjoying it daily on my journey to surgery - 2/19/03 RNY.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:55 PM   #3  

Hi!

My name is Patty and I am gonna be thin, too! I don't have my initial consultation until 2-11, but I have already had my nutrition class. I already love these ladies! They are a real inspiration!
Old 01-15-2003, 10:11 PM   #4  
Slowly going crazy!

Well, I'm not an RNY'er...but a Lap-Bander. HOWEVER...I do want to welcome you to this corner of 3fc's....You are going to find a great support of people here! ! ! Honest opinions abound, as do overwhelming support and encouragement! ! !
Old 01-15-2003, 11:59 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

welcome welcome welcome!!! ask any and all questions... it's quite a ride, as you have seen.

so, lorrie... start spilling!!! what's your surgeon like? support groups for after care? how much protein does he/she expect you to eat?

scared? nervous? have you picked out your protein shake??? come on girl!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:51 AM   #6  

Default The Dirt on me

Well, my surgeon has performed about 150 RNY procedures. He's not part of a group (like WISH or Bariatric Treatment Center). I spent 45 minutes with him in initial consultation and was really impressed. Once I'm approved with BC/BS insurance, I'll meet with dietician to go over food plan.

The one shortcoming of his practice is no support group. That's where this group comes in! I've been on many diets (there's a surprise!) and have used the internet for support. It works for me.

I'm 46, married. I'm not scared, I'm just anxious to get the show on the road. My husband, however, is not so sure this is the right path (he's a large guy). I'm giving him lots of info so he can be informed. He will always support me, in the end.

Thanks for welcoming me into the group.

Lorrie
325 now - goal of 175
Old 01-16-2003, 11:04 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

why doesn't your doc have [or suggest] a support group? debk's didn't either, but she found a group that had been started by some other WLS patients. maybe you could look into that or starting up your own?

does the hospital have provisions for caring for obese patients? like larger wheelchairs, and gowns that fit and nurses that know how to move us?

all this just makes the process a little more comfortable...
Old 01-16-2003, 12:31 PM   #8  

I have a choice of 3 hospitals, one of which has opened a bariatric surgery wing with all the new stuff. Downside is the waiting list for rooms is longggggggggggg. Fortunately for me, I am still able to fit in wheelchairs and most hospital gowns have been ok so far. I've had several hospitalizations in the last couple of years and have been able to get around ok. I will specifically ask for larger gowns, tho.

Thanks for your insight. These are things inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!

As far as support groups go, I am investigating networking with some of this surgeon's other patients who post on another board. We'll see how that works out.
Closed Thread