Recipes Your favorite healthy recipes

Old 02-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/227/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Ranch Dressing Dry Mix Help

Could someone please post a recipe for dry ranch dressing mix. Thanks.
Amarillo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

This is mine (it's adapted from another that I list below it. There are recipes that don't use the dry buttermilk, and I've made those too but when I can find the dry buttermilk I use it).

1 cup dry buttermilk
3 tablespoon dried parsley, crushed
1 tablespoon chives
2 teaspoon dried dill weed
2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon seasoning salt (Lawry's or similar)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

The original recipe suggested using a food processor or a blender to grind the mix into a soft powder. I did so the first time I made it, but now I just put in a ziploc bag or a tupperware container and shake. The blender-method does make a slightly smoother, silkier dressing, but I don't think it makes enough difference to justify dirtying the blender.

The original recipe I adapted from

Dry Ranch Dressing Mix

1/2 cup dry buttermilk powder
1 tablespoon dried parsley, crushed
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried minced onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

And one I found online, that doesn't call for buttermilk powder (but I haven't tried this one).

1/2 t. dried parsley flakes, 1/4 t. ground black pepper, 1/4 t. msg (optional), 1/4 t. salt, 1/8 t. garlic powder, 1/8 t. onion powder, pinch dried thyme. Mix dried ingredients together. Add 1/2 cup mayonnaise & 1/2 cup buttermilk. Refrigerate. Tastes better the longer it sets.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-21-2010 at 12:54 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #3  

How much mayonnaise do you add to your mix?
siobhanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233/227/150

Thanks Kaplod. That's what I was looking for.
Amarillo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhanmc View Post
How much mayonnaise do you add to your mix?
I use the mix for a lot of things besides making ranch dressing (which is why I make so much, in fact, I often make a double batch). I store it in the cupboard in a tupperware contaner (I shake before each use just to prevent the ingredients from settling).

For most things I just "eyeball" or guesstimate amounts, I use it "to taste."

I would estimate that for 1/2 cup of mayo, I use between 2 and 4 tsp. I usually just stir in a rounded tsp of mix into the mayo, taste and if I think it needs more I'll add another spoon.

"To taste" works pretty well, because sometimes I'll want the dressing a little stronger and sometimes more subtle. I've found that the recipes I use it in are very forgiving, so exact measurements aren't needed "until you like how it tastes" works best even for me after making it a lot. I use a lot more powder when I'm using it as a dip rather than dressing. On lettuce like iceberg, I also tend to make the dressing a little thicker and stronger, but on leaf lettuce I add skim milk to the dressing to thin it, and tend to use less mix powder, because the leaf lettuce has more flavor that I want to come through.

When I use it for roasted veggie seasonings I do much the same. I put the cut up veggies in a ziploc bag, and a little oil (about 1 tablespoon). I seal the bag and shake until all the veggies appear to be coated with the oil (I'll add a little more if it looks like the veggies aren't all being coated). Then I add a tablespoon or so of the ranch powder, seal the bag and shake again (and again if the veggies don't look evenly coated, I'll add a little more powder and shake again).

Another recipe I use it in is an easy veggie salad

about a cup of italian dressing or oil and vinegar (bottled or homemade, light or full-fat).

2 tablespoons ranch dressing mix powder

1 bag of frozen mixed veggies (any that you like)

1/2 cup chopped onion or green onion (if you'd like)

Completely optional ingredients (nice if I want to impress people at a potluck)
Any of the following (or anything else that sounds good - though you might need more dressing/ranch powder

black or green olives
canned or pickled mushrooms
yellow pepper rings or cherry peppers
cherry or graped tomatoes or diced tomato.
bell pepper (any color)
canned, frozen, or pickled artichoke hearts
canned or pickled baby corn
sliced celery
water chestnuts
cheese (shredded or cut in tiny cubes, a little goes a long way, especially if you use a stronger flavorfed cheese like asiago)
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote