Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 01:11 PM   #1  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Default How's about the Apple Cider Vinegar Pill

I posted this in the 20 something's but no one has responded. maybe you all know something?

They are supposed to aid in weight loss.

http://www.easy-weight-loss-diets.c...inegar_diet.htm

My container says to take 2 with meals. What do you think? I mean, the ingredients are fairly simple so it won't hurt, but I wanted to know if they worked is all...
Old 01-14-2003, 11:19 AM   #2  
Hanging in There

I've seen those ads. I always figure that if there was anything to them, I'd hear about it in the news; IMO the media would trumpet it to the high heavens. My advice? Save your $$, and if you still want to try it, go to the store and buy a bottle of vinegar and take the equivilent of 2 pills with your meals.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:32 AM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Dawn's right - save your $$$$.

The only reason this works isn't because of the vinegar - it's because of the DIET PLAN that usually accompanies these pills. Of course, if you eat less and exercise, you're going to lose the weight...

Something I found in a websearch...
Quote:
Apple cider vinegar is a solution of acidic acid produced by fermentation of apples. It consists of acid, water, and only relatively small quantities of minerals. Although, it does contain a fair amount of pectin, which has recently been identified as lowering cholesterol and may be the secret behind it is fat burning effects.

The use of apple cider vinegar for the relief of arthritic stiffness and as a treatment for sore throats, acne, and other skin problems, high blood pressure, headaches, dandruff, sunburn, and elevated cholesterol levels has been around for ages.

There have been claims to the effect that the ancient Egyptians who used apple cider vinegar for weight loss created the apple cider vinegar diet. Claims have been made that apple cider vinegar works as an aid in weight loss and fat burning. However, there is no substantial or believable scientific evidence to support this claim. During the diet craze of the 1970’s, proponents claimed that somehow a combination of apple cider, kelp, vitamin B-6, and lecithin tricked the body's metabolism into burning fat faster.

Today, the apple cider vinegar diet is back along with its many claims. This time, they are saying that to lose weight, take one, two, or three teaspoons of apple cider vinegar before every meal, starting with one teaspoon and then working up to two or three. Taking more than three teaspoons supposedly does not lead to better results. Probably more than three teaspoons is beyond what any dieter could reasonably stomach anyway. The only dieting advice you get with this "diet" is to eat moderate portions at meals, avoid snacking, and wait for the apple cider vinegar to reduce your hunger and food cravings.

So how does the apple cider vinegar figure into all of this effectively? Simply stated, it does not. Skip the apple cider vinegar if you want to lose weight and just reduce your food intake and increase your exercise.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:27 PM   #4  

Talking thanks

I am going to try it anyway. The pills cost me nothing so why not.

Plus, I am using it as a supplement, not a "quick fix" so no harm, no foul right???

Old 01-14-2003, 12:50 PM   #5  
it's always something

The only positive references I can find on it are from the sites that are selling it, so they want to convince you it works. I've found references to it on some unbiased medical or health sites, and they all say it doesn't work. They also say it isn't harmful, though, so you would be safe in taking them.

If they have any effect at all, it will be on a sub-conscious level. Taking pills such as those can cause us to be more aware of our diets, so we eat less or move more. That in itself causes any weight loss.

Good luck with your weight loss journey
Old 01-14-2003, 02:11 PM   #6  

Wink Miss Administrator

thanks Suzanne!

Old 01-17-2003, 09:22 AM   #7  
Hanging in There

Angry

Say, Jenne, I notice you live in the DC area. I live in Wheaton myself.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:41 AM   #8  

Angry hi neighbor

hi there!

I live in Northern VA ) And, I work for on of your Senators here in DC!

Old 01-19-2003, 03:09 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One of the diets i was on for a short period of time, encouraged drinking apple cider vinegar and using it in recipes.

I found some apple sider vinegar at the store for like a dollar. It isn't the most pleasant tasting thing but if you can just ignore your taste buds for a second then hey why not.

Let us know if it works for you.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:07 PM   #10  

I tried the Apple Cider Vinegar Pill awhile back and they did not do a thing at all. A few weeks later I tried the Green Tea capsules that are supposed to increase your metabolism, make you healthier and help you lose weight and I lost zero with this as well. I got the green tea suplement from the health food store - GNC. .................April
Old 06-10-2003, 08:32 PM   #11  

Didn't work for me.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:05 AM   #12  

I don't know if anybody is even looking anymore, but all I got when I tried these was a urinary tract infection!
Old 07-15-2003, 10:29 AM   #13  

Hope springs eternal for the easy way out - THEY ALL WORK...if you follow the low caloried eating plan that accompanies them. Sorry, no miracle drug yet, and yes, many of them are harmful.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:36 PM   #14  

Bobo, I ended up with a UTI too.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:19 PM   #15  

My friend tried this and it didn't work. I am telling you, all these diets are scams. Just eat a healthful diet and enjoy your food when you eat. All of this crazy dieting is throwing us all off wack. I have been eating balanced meals, lowfat, have a snack here and there, and exercise. This has had the best effect on me this far. I even get to have the dreaded "chocolate" here and there. I am gaining control!
Closed Thread