Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 06:39 PM   #1  
Searching

I watched Memento last night. I will agree that it does make one think about how they define their sense of purpose in the world. The pacing was a little off, but I am excited to have my husband watch it so we can discuss it.

Also watched Signs again. I saw it during the summer at the theatre and I have to say I thought it was alot slower than what it was. I like that it makes one think about what makes us have faith? Here is the other question it almost touches, if aliens came to Earth what would that do to faith? religion? to God? What does it mean if we are not alone in the universe?

I like M. Night Shyalaman movies anyway. I often feel like I belong to a small group that actually understand Unbreakable. My 3,000 comics explain alot there. And I think 6th Sense is one of the best suspense movies of alll time.

Miss Chris
Old 01-10-2003, 06:44 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, I don't think I've contributed anything to this thread but I sure now have a list of films to see this winter! Harry likes real oldies - "Notorious", "Ivan The Terrible" Bunuel films and anything by Fellini - not that we ever go out or rent them! I am going to find some of you'all's (?) winners at the video place in the enxt town and give myself and the doggage a film night or two once the old fart has gone to bed. I may even eat popcorn!

Thanks to all.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:48 PM   #3  
a brave new me...

We are going to see Adaptation tonight... will post more later. And yes, I am going to eat popcorn for dinner.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:52 PM   #4  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Go for it Ruthxx! There are a lot of great movies out there. I love Hitchcock movies- Vertigo is one of my favorites!

Sojo-let us know how adaptation was, it's one that is on my list to see.

Ro-I saw Unbreakable and liked it too. So did my DH. Then again we read comics too, maybe you are right and that has something to do with it
Old 01-12-2003, 05:28 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I bought Titus Andronicus with Anthony Hopkins and Jessica Lange on DVD.

I saw it in the theatre and really enjoyed it and have been meaning to watch it again. It is based on the play by Shakespeare but it has a weird modern twist to it -not like the the Leornardo DiCaprio version of Romeo and Juliet though.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:52 PM   #6  

We saw "Adaptation" last night.....I started out liking it.....but then.....ended up not crazy about it

it was too dark for me I guess - but it did make me think, so that's a good thing......think about Darwin and life and moving on and what it takes for us to move on when we know it's time but we can't overcome inertia for whatever reason........

Your Mileage May Vary - Terri
Old 01-13-2003, 01:16 AM   #7  
a brave new me...

Unhappy Uh huh...

I have to agree with you on Adaptation. I really liked it up until the last half hour and then it pretty much derailed for me. Lots of great points, especially about needing and wanting something in your life to be passionate about. The movie's screenplay was very clever and witty up until the ending... however I could have thought up a couple different endings that would have been MUCH more effective. I would offer my theory on what ACTUALLY happened in the movie and with that ending, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Don't know if I can recommend it... wait until it comes out on video.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:43 AM   #8  

Sojo - I really liked the beginning - when we were learning about LaRoche - very interesting character

barefootgrrl
Old 01-13-2003, 01:33 PM   #9  
a brave new me...

The cool thing about this movie is that it is really based on the book "The Orchid Thief" and LaRoche is a real person and so is the journalist. The movie really IS the true story about the writer attempting to turn the book into a screenplay. I saw the book in Barnes and Noble and it is the exact book they use in the movie. It was interesting to see how the real book actually ended... it gave me some insight into the way the movie ended.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:36 PM   #10  

ok, let me make sure I understand this -

the screenwriter is based on a true life person and his story.....

as is Susan Orlean ( that was her name I think)?

and LaRoche and his story - all of it is real

wow - I guess I only thought the screenwriting was real.

Yes, the movie had many layers.....

but the real ultimate screenwriter could have done something better with the ending, no? LOL

Terri
Old 01-13-2003, 04:24 PM   #11  
a brave new me...

Warning... don't read this post if you haven't seen the movie yet!!

Well, almost... the real book ends when LaRoche and Orlean are searching for the "ghost" and can't find it and get lost... they then come across their vehicle and drive away. Thats it in terms of reality. The rest of the movie I think is the screenwriter's attempt to make this simple book into a movie, with adding on a more "Hollywood" ending. Remember when the two brothers are sitting in the hotel room and he asks "So how would you end the movie?" Then from that point on the movie gets a little whacky. Then remember in the very end when he is driving in his car he says something like "I know the perfect way to end the movie"... in essence the last half hour is his made up version of how the book should end if it were to be a successful movie. At least thats my theory. They could have done the same thing but in a much more clever and funny way I think.

Clear as mud!
Old 01-13-2003, 11:55 PM   #12  
Searching

Question I want to see the 25th hour

Huge Ed Norton fan here, if anyone goes and see 25th Hour let me know, because after Nemesis I can't take anymore disappointment LOL!

Now I am confused on Adaptation. Should I see it or not? You gals have intrigued me with your insight.

My favorite Hitchcock movie was Rope, because it is so subtle in the psychological impact. Plus that it is based on real people seems like so much after thought. I think each of us have met those who believe in their superiority. But Hitchcock was a master and anyone who hasn't seen Two Strangers on a Train, Vertigo, Rear Window, The Trouble with Harry, or Psycho is missing out on what master fil making is about, A great Story.

HMMM maybe I need to forward this to George Lucas. Watched Episode II again today, someone should not let that man write anymore he has no idea about dialogue flow just special effects.

Miss Chris
Old 01-14-2003, 02:22 AM   #13  
a brave new me...

Angry Well...

You seem to be a film buff like me... so I would probably recommend Adaptation to you because you will appreciate a lot of it. Parts of it are absolutely brilliant. I'm curious as to another opinion about the ending too.

I love Edward Norton... he is one of my favorite actors. Looking forward to seeing 25th Hour but will probably wait until it goes to the budget theater.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:20 AM   #14  
Is it Friday yet?

I rented Y Tu Mama Tambien over the weekend (spanish w/ english subtitles). It was good - really made me think about living in the moment and not wasting life. Coulda' done without the pubescent sex fests though... But then again, I guess that would define living in the NOW and not worrying about the future...

Terri
Old 01-14-2003, 07:45 PM   #15  

I really enjoyed " Y Tu Mama Tambien" too

some parts intriguing, some parts sorta disturbing, some parts sad, often very sexy, made me think about social classes and the impact of NAFTA.

I've had lost weekends in Latin America ( yo hablo espanol) so it hit me in an interesting way.

Thanks for that! Terri
Closed Thread