Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/240/180

Height: 5'6

Question Do you really only get 1 "Golden Shot" doing low carb?

Has anyone ever heard that before? I read that on another forum, that said when you first start out doing a low carb plan, thats your chance for the best results
Your "Golden Shot at success" after you have tried it several times, after falling off the plan, its very difficult for it to work the same for weight loss.
seemed odd to me, but maybe someone else heard of this?
I'm asking, because when I first tried a low carb plan, about 6 years ago, I lost 60#, then kept it off about 2 years, then I have slowly been putting it back on.(currently, I gained back the 60#+ extra!)
I want very much to get on a low carb plan, but I have this thought in my head, that maybe it won't work again for me.
I actually have tried several times to get back on, the most I last is 2 weeks, then, fall off, and continue gaining!
rainyinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Its pretty much a myth. While I will agree that the weight comes off quicker when you have more to lose....I do not believe in the "golden shot". I believe whether it be low carb, calorie counting etc. the key to success is doing whatever plan you've chosen correctly.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #3  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

I agree with JG...but then again she is our leader and we love her.
Here's my thoughts on this topic. I am starting Atkins at the age of 37. Had I done Atkins 10 years ago, I would have been 27. So comparing the same program is kind of silly when the test subject has changed so much. I think the whole "golden shot" theory is just a scare tactic to get people to not quit. But on the other hand if you do quit for whatever reason, you may end up feeling like there is not point in trying again.
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #4  

I think if you go off any plan, the weight usually creeps up. It also feels harder sometimes to start back up. I think it's mainly mental. If you think you're going to fail, you probably will.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #5  

Thanks so much for the advice! yes, I think it is very mental for me. I have tried to get back on my plan,several times, without success, I guess I'm worried about failing again. I want my 2nd golden shot!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think it is possible that subsequent "redieting" often doesn't go as well as earlier attempts for a variety of reasons (none of which are inevitable or insurmountable).

I've noticed that weight doesn't come off as easily or as quickly as it did several diets and several years ago. Some of the reasons are clear - aging, health issues such as insulin resistance and low thyroid, a less active lifestyle, and possibly the fact that each diet might even lower metabolism somewhat.

Eating what I'm eating now (and being happy with a 3 to 5 lb a month loss) in my 20's I would have lost (and did) lose 20 - 30 lbs per month.

I never stuck with low-carb very long in the past, because everyone "knew" it was so unhealthy, and now I find it's the ONLY way I can lose weight at all.

So low carb is now pretty much my ONLY shot. I can whine and complain about the fact that I lose weight so much slower now, if I want to, but it doesn't change anything.

I think it is true (maybe not for everyone, but definitely for some of us) that repeated yoyo dieting makes future attempts more difficult and yields more modest results - but that only means you've ALWAYS got the best chance you're ever going to get NOW.

I can't go back in time (ooh, how I wish I could). I can only deal with the metabolism I have now (and it may be the best metabolism I'm going to ever get - or maybe if I can get a little healthier and exercise more I'll get a metabolic boost at some point, but always I can only deal with the metabolism I have now, and I can't count on it ever being better than it is now).

I truly believe that low-carb dieting tends to yield better results for most folks (faster and greater weight loss than other types of dieting) - so even if the weight is coming off more slowly than it did before, it's probably going to come off better and faster than trying to eat a low fat or higher carbohydrate diet of similar calories.

A catch though, is that low-carb dieting seems to require more consistency than other programs, (largely) because of the water-retention issue. I've found that when I step off my low-carb eating, even if my calories are too low to "really" gain weight, I will see a huge weight gain from the water retention. Consistently eating low-carb, I have very little extra water weight. Even a couple slices of bread and I can see a 5 lb gain on the scale (there's no way 160 calories of bread caused a 5 lb gain).

Low carb may not be as fast the second, third, or fifteenth time around, but it's pretty much always the best chance I'm going to get. For what it's worth, that's my experience, anyway.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-17-2010 at 11:26 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #7  

thank you kaplods for the advice. Yes, I suppose I should take into consideration that my metabolism could be slowing down, I am into the "forties" now. congratulations, on your weight loss!!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #8  

Thanks.

I realize I made it sound like I believe that you cant switch between higher carb and low carb dieting. I think you can (and I often do), but to lose weight doing "both" you've got to count calories too, possibly readjust the calories on high carb days and realize that high carb days might cause some temporary water weight gain.

Following Atkins or another good low-carb plan is a whole lot simpler though (and that I think makes it more doable for most folks).

I prefer low carb, because I can eat a bit more, I have fewer health issue flares, and water retention is less of a problem.

If I don't eat low carb during the week before my period and a few days into the period, I'm miserable physically and emotionally and I tend to make my husband miserable too. I know everyone doesn't have the hormonal issues, but I thought it worth mentioning.

I think it's easy to believe that it's "not possible" (or at least not realistic) to follow a low-carb plan because avoiding the high-carb foods is so difficult. And ideally I think it really is best to never eat off plan, but falling off plan doesn't have to be a tragedy (if you have a back up plan).

I think in the long run, when it comes to failing or stalling of weight loss, I think unplanned goof-ups and plan-jumping is less of a problem than plan-abandoning.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-18-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:18 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyinflorida View Post
Yes, I suppose I should take into consideration that my metabolism could be slowing down, I am into the "forties" now.
I'm 48....been on Atkins since I was 43
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #10  

thanks again everyone! Yes I agree, telling my family is probably not a good idea, especially since they don't support me anyway.
Jersey girl, you look GREAT! I took a peak at your before and after photos!
do you find your metabolism is slower being in your forties?
I miss the burst of energy I had doing induction, and not having that 'sluggish, bloated' feeling, that I have to deal with daily now, with the rotten way I'm currently eating!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/204/150

Height: 5ft 2in

Red face going off and on low carb

for me every time i go off the low carb diet it gets harder to start it againe as for the weight loss every time i have been on the low carb diet this is the third time for me i stile loose a lot of weight so i still lose weight fast but its harder to stick to this time i feel like i am starving and i know i am not any ideas as to why this is

Last edited by doris fields; 03-01-2010 at 08:49 PM.
doris fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #12  
Sandra

S/C/G: 210/168/145

Height: 5'7"

I have heard something like this but I don't think it refered to low carb in particular. supposedly when we lose weight on various diet plans we lose both fat and muscle tissue. Each time we regain the weight lost, unless we are muscle building, most of it will come back as fatty tissue. Ultimately we have less muscle mass after yo-yo dieting. somewhere I read that a lb. of muscle at rest burns 40 calories in a day where a pound of fat burns a measly 3 calories.
So the first diet you are on will be the easiest to lose weight on, unless you still have lots of muscle mass. This also explains why men can eat more on a diet and yet lose more weight.
I attribute my recent success on my eating plan on eating optimum amounts of protein to retain my muscle mass. Low carb for me means mostly lean protein and minimal fat. I'm in my mid 50's and had to wake up a very sluggish metabolism.
CheeseCake4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #13  

I lost 20 pounds on Atkins 15 years ago, the most I have ever lost on any diet. I regained it and then some. When I went to try Atkins again, my body definitely resisted. I had a horrible headache and felt truly awful. I never made it through the first few days.
When doing Atkins, be careful not to exclude any food for a long period of time that you might want to eat again. When I tried to eat wheat after I had done Atkins for several months, I found I was unable to tolerate wheat.
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #14  

Personally, I don't believe low-carb diets cause grain or other carb/food intolerances - they just tend to expose them.

I've eaten wheat all of my life. When I developed health problems, I had no idea that they could be caused or aggravated by wheat, grains, and/or sugar.

When I finally tried low-carb dieting seriously, I found my health issues disappearing or improving dramatically (faster than the weight loss, so I know it's not just the weight loss). I began to suspect wheat, so I begain experimenting. I didn't want to give up wheat, so I did a lot of experimenting until I couldn't deny that wheat was the culprit.

Wheat is my biggest symptom trigger. My skin looks horrible when I eat wheat (several different problems, acne, rosacea, dry skin, seborrheic dermatitis - which can worsen into a disgusting impetigo type rash - crusty, weepy, swollen, fuchsia pink and very painful and itchy - hubby calls it face rot, and that about says it all).

I have to pay attention to other grains and to my overall carb and sugar intake, too (though the effects tend to be more subtle or cumulative). Refined or even concentrated sources of natural sugar (such as overindulging in fruit) will also aggravate some issues, but not quite as dramatically as wheat (unless I'm really being irresponsible with the sugar or carbs).

I am so grateful that I tried strict low-carb dieting (Atkins and similar low-carb plans). I probably would never have made the wheat connection and carb connection to my health issues without it.

What's remarkable is how long I ate wheat and thought I felt fine. I had skin problems as a child - the acne and the rosacea (thankfully no face rot) and sensitive skin. I had health problems too, but nothing dramatic enough to send my family and my doctors on the search for a cause. Over the years, the health issues only got worse except for occasional remission (in hindsight - these were probably times in which I was avoiding or reducing wheat such as when I was on a liquid protein diet. At that time I thought it was the weight loss, now I suspect it was the abstinence from wheat).

Last edited by kaplods; 08-20-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I am so grateful that I tried strict low-carb dieting (Atkins and similar low-carb plans). I probably would never have made the wheat connection and carb connection to my health issues without it.
I am glad you took the time to post about your experiences. Do you find beans or Quinoa causing reactions? I know it will take me a few months to sort how much carbs, what kind of carbs, within a context of calorie counting for me to find my levels. But other experiences are helpful in my discernment.

Also have read about the Golden onetime. I dismiss it. I didn't have a problem losing the weight. it might be a tad slower (because I am older and premenopause) but what is the alternative? being fat and unhealthy and missing out on the fun with my family?
Karen
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote