Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #1  
Artsy Fartsy Girl

S/C/G: 268/226/185

Height: 5'6"

Default Pasta serving size

For a 2 oz, 200 calorie serving of spaghetti, how much should I put in the water, dry, when you grab it and look down at the ends all bunched together?

Dime size? Penny size?

I found a website that said a cup would be the size of a quarter but that's half of a 14 oz box so that's absolutely not correct.

Thanks in advance,
dolphinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #2  
Meg

Do you have a food scale? The easiest thing would be to weigh 2 oz.

If you don't and you have a 14 oz box, how about dividing it into seven portions?

If you don't want to do that, I'd say about a dime size, but measure it after it's cooked to be sure!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #3  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

An FDA serving of cooked pasta is 1 cup. So, if you don't have a scale, you can measure post-cooking. There are probably slight differences in the weight of a cup of pasta, depending on the shape -- e.g., I'd guess a cup of shells weighs less than a cup of orzo, because of the air space in the shells -- but I wouldn't sweat it.

Incidentally, a typical "serving" of pasta in an Italian restaurant is 3.5 cups. That's about 770 calories with essentially nil nutritional value.

b. strong //
K
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

I'd really recommend getting a food scale.......it's been a lifesaver for me and I've used it so often!! They have some decent ones at Target that won't set you back too much. Usually I weigh the dry pasta before cooking it.

I've even been using my scale when measuring out portions. For example, if I'm serving 4, then I weigh all the pasta together, divide by 4 and weigh each portion instead of just eyeballing it. Also, I love weighing higher fat things like nuts and cheeses, to make sure I'm not overdoing it.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #5  
Artsy Fartsy Girl

S/C/G: 268/226/185

Height: 5'6"

I do indeed have a scale, but I'm lazy! I did weigh out 2 oz on the scale, dry, and then the cooked serving looked HUGE. I wonder, the box said 2 oz was 200 calories, but do you think they meant cooked or dry? It doesn't specify. It was whole wheat spaghetti.
dolphinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #6  
Workin' It

They mean 2 oz. dry on every pasta I've seen. Funny perception - I always think the cooked portion looks small in comparison to my pasta servings in the past. Maybe I need to use a smaller bowl. It looking huge to you is a plus!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #7  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

You need to get one of these bad boys: http://www.amazon.com/Danesco-Spaghe...ref=pd_sbs_k_2

For as much pasta as we eat at my house.. i think i may need to pick one up too!

Last edited by DaisyNicole; 02-17-2010 at 06:33 PM.
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote