Old 02-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/160/150

Height: 5'10"

Default calorie counting on mexican vacation

So next week I'm going to Mexico, I can't wait! I want to have a good time and enjoy the food of course, but i don't wana go overboard. We're staying at an all-inclusive resort, so I'm sure there will be a lot of eating and drinking
Has anyone had any experience with resort food in Mexico? Any tips?

Monkey
monkeylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You can count calories where ever you are. Mexican food uses lots of beans ,tortillas and sauces, burritos will probably run around anywhere from 500-700 calories.an enchilada might be around 350 , 6-8 nachos about 600, fajitas might be your best bet ,chicken fajita about 190, beef fajita about 245 calories.Only drink bottled water. Same with soft drinks , Mexican water is notorious for causing Turista or as it is sometimes called The Aztec Two Step.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #3  
is determined!

S/C/G: 208/194.5/130

Height: 5'6"

Personally, and this may just be me, but I would not plan to count calories while on vacation. I WOULD make it a point to order healthfully -- dishes that are heavy on veggies, not deep fried, contain the least refined sugars and starches, contain lean meats, beans, etc. -- but I would make myself crazy trying to figure out the calories in everything. Remember you're there to have a good time, relax and enjoy yourself. You can do all of the above without pigging out and you can not pig out without counting each and every calorie in a place where doing so is going to be difficult.

I would make a plan to cut calories where you won't notice them missing and just eat normally otherwise. For instance, I know I can order just about anything that is normally topped with cheese and ask them to hold the cheese and save myself 50-100+ calories depending on the dish. Likewise, though I do love Sour Cream I don't miss it when it's not there, so I often ask for no sour cream as well. I love Guacamole but I can enjoy a dish without it and it, like the cheese and sour cream, is high cal. Just by holding those three items I can take a dish that is 700+ cal and bring it within a more reasonable range and enjoy myself without feeling deprived. Think about what things you can enjoy food without -- especially things often found in mexican dishes -- and devise a plan to order your food without those things. That alone will go a long way.
evoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoo View Post
Personally, and this may just be me, but I would not plan to count calories while on vacation. I WOULD make it a point to order healthfully -- dishes that are heavy on veggies, not deep fried, contain the least refined sugars and starches, contain lean meats, beans, etc. -- but I would make myself crazy trying to figure out the calories in everything. Remember you're there to have a good time, relax and enjoy yourself. You can do all of the above without pigging out and you can not pig out without counting each and every calorie in a place where doing so is going to be difficult.

I would make a plan to cut calories where you won't notice them missing and just eat normally otherwise. For instance, I know I can order just about anything that is normally topped with cheese and ask them to hold the cheese and save myself 50-100+ calories depending on the dish. Likewise, though I do love Sour Cream I don't miss it when it's not there, so I often ask for no sour cream as well. I love Guacamole but I can enjoy a dish without it and it, like the cheese and sour cream, is high cal. Just by holding those three items I can take a dish that is 700+ cal and bring it within a more reasonable range and enjoy myself without feeling deprived. Think about what things you can enjoy food without -- especially things often found in mexican dishes -- and devise a plan to order your food without those things. That alone will go a long way.
This is exactly how I do it. We cruise a lot and I typically end up losing weight after a cruise. I eat so much fresh fruit and veggies all day long and small portions of really rich foods. I'm a drinker too and somehow it all balances out. Enjoy yourself!!
cassieroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

My parents have gone to resorts in Mexico a couple times, and there is plenty of healthy food options, fresh fruit, egg white omelettes made to order.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'8

I'm going on a trip to Mexico in mid March and I was wondering the same exact thing. We aren't doing a all inclusive however and are going to be sampling from the local cuisine. I'm planning on ordering a lot of fish, I'm assuming I will have that as an option...hopefully. Also, I know my friend plans on drinking while down there and does anybody know of any GOOD tasting alcoholic beverages, cocktails, shots, etc that aren't too high in calories but actually taste good? I know bacardi diet's are like the lowest cal you can do, but come on...it tastes like crap! any thoughts?
farn00a57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:32 AM   #7  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

we go to all inclusive resorts in mexico every year and cruise as well once a year so it can be harder to stay on plan.. but here is my theory you are on vacation.. don't be so consumed in calories counting. it's a break! you can make healthy choices and not go overboard but i wouldnt stress about exact numbers. leaveing things liek sour cream, cheese, and gauc off are great little calorie savers! breakfasts will be easy because almost every resort I've stayed at has a breakfast buffet full of fresh fruits (and they taste better there in mexico soo fresh)cottage cheese, oatmeal, whole grain breads and muffins, omelets made to order, etc.

and i know they will have salads on the menus for lunch and dinners. seafood and chicken is always good there!

if your alcohol is included too I say go fro drinks like diet coke and rums. or take a few straight up shots! or even ligth beers.

but again honestly I say eat and drink what you want...but WITH IN REASON.. just make sure not to gorge yourself...

the other great things about vacation is I'm typically more active with being in the pool, snorkeling, playing volley ball, hiking and exploring,dancing etc.. your going to burn a lot of calories just being active!

have fun and I'm super jealous I wish I was going! where are you going? my favorite spots in Mexico is the cancun/ playa del carmen areas in the yucatan! that entire area is paradise!
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

If the alcohol taste of a rum or whiskey in diet is too strong for you, order it in a tall glass. It'll come with twice as much soda, which dilutes the alcohol some.

Do you drink wine?
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Howdy,
We travel frequently, and for me, I think it is an important habit to record the food I eat every day. I use my apps to do this and it is very easy. When at home, I weigh daily. This keeps me out of the land of denial. A place I could vacation quite easily in:-)

I look at it like this, I don't use credit cards or credit, so when I buy something, there isn't debt or bills following me like after Christmas. Same for travel, I do not find it fun to weigh in and see the calorie debt in the form of extra pounds. It takes away the pleasure from traveling and makes me less inclined to do it.

Best wishes on what you decide to do.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/160/150

Height: 5'10"

Thanks guys! A lot of good suggestions... I think I won't worry so much about keeping track of calories, and just try to make good choices...

Miriamherrera- I'm going to Cozumel! Never been there, I heard it's famous for it's diving, so that will be new experience for sure! And you're probably right about being more active while there, hopefully the extra activity will balance out the extra cals

Shmead- I'm not a big wine drinker, I'm not even big on mixed drinks... definitely a beer girl Since it's all inclusive, there probably won't be a huge beer selection, so I'm praying for some kind of good light beer...

I guess the most important thing is to have fun, so if I gain a pound or two, it's not the end the world, I will definitely get back OP when I get back

Monkey
monkeylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #11  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

MONKEY you are goign to LOVE cozumel! there is not place like the Riviera Maya! there are SOOOOO many things to do there! I have to keep going back agian and agian because I can never seem to fit in every thing I want to do!

I recommend taking the ferry into main land playa del carmen/ cancun area at least one day! you wont regret going there the diving is amazing! although i have never dived there I do ALOT of snorkeling. and I've also done a sea trek. which is where you wear this big helmet that gives yo oxygen and you go way under water. it's sorta like diving but since you have these helmets on you have to walk along the bottom of the ocean holding on to a hand rail.. still really cool! I got a tiny claustrophobic at the end but the whole thing only lasts 20 mins.. so worth it! I also suggest going to X-caret! or Xel- Ha I've been to both but X-caret is my favorite!
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoo View Post

I was going to write a response in this thread, but no need to

+1 on this for me
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote