Old 02-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #1  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Default Further reason to lose the weight...

Last night I had a stabbing pain in my lower right abdomen that came and went. When it hit, it was off the charts painful. Really, enough to double me over. When it wasn't at it's peak it was like a dull period cramp. I have NO idea what caused it but was really hurting.

I went to bed early, doubled up in the pain that came and went. My boyfriend came up to tuck me in and expressed his concern. He thought I should go to the ER. I resisted (and am now glad I did, as I'm fine today) not because I was sure it would go away, partially because I'm cheap and was just plain embarrassed.

As I lay there in the dark, I was praying to God that the pain would go away. I was mortified that I'd have to go to the ER, be diagnosed with something serious and have to have surgery. I was EMBARRASSED at the thought of the surgeon seeing me naked, having to lift up the fat rolls to cut into me, having 4 people to move me from gurney to bed after surgery due to how big I am. I also worried that the people in the ER would think maybe the fat lady had a belly ache to due over eating. I didn't want to be judged.

It is sad that I wasn't worried about myself or my health but was terrified I'd be seen as this horribly fat lady, that strangers would see my fat rolls.
I am re-doubling my efforts to lose weight as last night was just too sad! I want to be healthy and not embarrassed all the time. I don't mean to sound overly dramatic but I would have rather laid there and died vs. being embarrassed or judged.

Last edited by Michelle98272; 02-14-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

While I know exactly how you feel, you probably ought to pay a visit to your GP to find out what that possibly was. It could be something as benign as a cyst on your ovary. Or it could be something else, something curable with prompt diagnosis. I don't know.

I do understand though. I don't like the thought of having a nurse write "obese" on my chart. That keeps me away. Its so sad, and that thought does keep me motivated.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/219/145

Height: 5'5"

I understand exactly how you fee. Although when I was having my pain from my gall bladder I really didn't care about all that. haha. It hurt too bad! I don't want to go to my "lady" doctor because I'm embarrised... not only of exposing myself but of the fat thighs and lower tummy. I know that's stupid.
slimsilhouette2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Trust me , they have seen everything, including people much heavier than you. If you have a medical problem you must see a doctor and they will not be offended by your weight.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5.5"

Totally agree with bargoo. The docs and nurses at an ER have seen it all. Take care of yourself because I love reading your posts!
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #6  
Have faith...

S/C/G: 325/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I totally understand how you feel. After my c-sections I was embarrassed at how many people it took to move me off the table and to my bed.
Crushed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #7  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I haven't been to the doctor for YEARS. I have made it a point to go this year. I am thinking I will go when I'm at goal weight so that I won't have to feel so weirded out and hear the lecture. Plus, it will feel good to say "yes doc, all of that loose skin is from weight loss".
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #8  

Height: 6-1.5

I have the good luck to have a primary care phisician who is way larger than I am.

I really understand the danger of being overweight when it comes to medical procedures. All the fat gets in the way and complicates the doctors seeing things and operating. Picking up unconsious overweight people is also pretty tricky considering a lot of those nurses are what I would like to call "little girls." I think you really should see about the pain. It might be anything: gall bladder, kidney stones, appendix, who knows? I usually try to tough it out until the next day so I don't need to pay emergency room prices. Oh, I am adding that even when I was 18 and at "perfect weight" because I am tall and large for a girl, they were still huffing and puffing to pick me up.

Last edited by giselley; 02-14-2010 at 10:52 PM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285.4/285.4/150

Height: 5'6"

I had a pain like that when I had a kidney stone, couldn't stand upright. It came then went away but came back a few days later with avengence and I almost cracked my head open nearly passing out on a machine I was working on. So I strongly agree with the others about going to the doctor. If you are in pain it doesn't matter. Another way to think of it is YOU are paying him so never worry about what he thinks if there is an extra roll there or not.
Val424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:26 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Pain something is happening. Get it checked out.

I understand what you said about not wanting any judgement from doctors and nurses. However....they have seen everything in the world.

Please feel better and take care of yourself.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #11  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I echo everyone's concern and think that you should have it checked out.

But yes, I agree that it is another reason to lose weight. One of my final straws was having to have surgery. I was mortified knowing that that everyone in the operating room had seen my fat rolls and had to deal with moving me at my size.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #12  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

None of that ever crossed my mind. I rarely have physical problems but when I do it's off to the doc's office. I'm with you about being cheap about paying to go to the ER. I pay for medical insurance and therefore I use it when I need to. I would rather they see me in all my glory knowing I'm working on it to make sure I'm not dealing with something that can cost me in the long run. Besides I don't do pain well at all.

Go see someone as soon as you can.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #13  

I appreciate all of your great comments. I will make an appt with my GP if it re-emerges. I have 3 really expensive experiences of going to the ER with severe chest pains that have turned out to be gas, inflammation of my chest bone, and one "we are not sure what this is", so I really try to stay away from the ER. I do agree though, my fear this time of being embarrassed shouldn't keep me away from care.

One thing I just thought of...when I wasn't thinking about trying to get healthy, I didn't much care if anyone at the Dr's office or ER thought I was fat. But now that I care...I really care! Weird.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #14  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

You know, I bet we all have someone in our lives who has skirted seeing a medical professional for health check-ups. Please get it checked out. Pain like that doesn't happen for NO reason...you are in my prayers...
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #15  

Default Saw My Dr. today...

and told her about the really bad stomach pain the other day. She poked me from the inside trying to recreate it...and pressed all over my belly from the outside to try to get it to hurt again. Nothing.

She said it is likely related to my new eating habits. When she asked about my bathroom habits with my healthier eating I told her that I'm verrrrrrrry regular now will all the roughage I'm eating. I did tell her that sometimes I feel gassy and bloated from the veggies. She said because it went away, we'd not worry too much about it. But....

If it comes back and is more than just "uncomfortable", I am to call her to get in immediately and short of that go directly to the ER. Yes, Mam!!

Thanks for all of your concern.

Last edited by Michelle98272; 02-17-2010 at 04:34 PM.