Old 02-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Wink Shorties and rolls

Ok all you fellow shorties, do you roll your pants?

I must have a short torso because petite dresses fit great but petite pants are high waters on me. Yet of course regular pants are way too long, and they seem to have grown longer over the years. I don't remember ever having this problem before. It also seems that the heavier we are, the taller designers think we are.

So do you roll your pants? Once I'm at goal and decide to sink some money into a good pair of pants, I'll tailor them. But in the meantime, I don't want to spend the money to tailor a pair of cheap jeans! But I look around and I don't see anyone else rolling their pants.

On the one hand, I don't care. But I keep looking over my shoulder to see if Stacey London is watching me.

Last edited by Eliana; 02-12-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #2  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I am shorter than you so I can wear petites no problem, but you don't find much in the way of petites at the second-hand stores, and I refuse to pay more than $10 for a pair of pants right now, so I spend a lot of time hemming.

Lucky for me my mom taught me to blind hem a pair of pants, and I know how to hem jeans the right way, but it's still kind of a hassle. I do look forward to the day I can buy pants and know I'll be wearing them for a good long while.

I did have a couple pairs of cargo pants when I was in a size 14 (Old Navy clearance) and those I rolled. Trouble is I'm an hourglass, so rolled just looks bad on me. I look a lot more proportional with a flared leg, so these days I suck it up and hem everything. (Or I just wear really tall shoes.)
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #3  
Meg

Eliana, I'm exactly your height and must be built the same way because petite tops work great on me but I need regular pants. They're always between 1 and 2 inches too short, so I hem them. If you're handy with a needles and thread, it only takes a few minutes.

I've never rolled pants; it's something I just never thought of doing. But if it works for you, go for it!

If I don't buy petite, I have the same problem with long sleeves, so am hemming there too!

Cropped pants and 3/4 length sleeves are my favorites because I don't need to hem!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #4  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

I'm an inch shorter than you so most petite pants fit me fine. I have had some that were too short. Sometimes I can get away with average if it is the style of pants not meant to be worn almost to the floor with heels on. I hem my own stuff when necessary. I look terrible with rolled jeans. They add at least 10 pounds to me lookswise. Maybe You Tube has a how to hem pants video.

Edited to add that I thought maybe you were referring to another kind of roll in your title.

Last edited by lovemyboy; 02-12-2010 at 09:04 AM.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

I wondered about that when I wrote "rolls". If anyone cares to discuss other rolls, feel free. I'm partial to Golden Corrals Honey rolls.

I'm not handy with a needle at all, unless it involves creating a picture with cross stitch. That I'm good at! But making straight lines with similarly sized stitches...forget it. I've tried. I "hemmed" my son's dress pants by just tacking it in four places. Not right at all! I suppose I could tack my pants as well. Hadn't thought of that, maybe because I hate doing it.

And Lovmyboy, I bet that's why pants seem to have gotten longer. I bet they are meant to be worn with heels. Well then, why don't they make petite pants to be worn with heels? Those would probably fit! LOL!

Last edited by Eliana; 02-12-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Cropped pants and 3/4 length sleeves are my favorites because I don't need to hem!
I need to try straight legged cropped pants. The only ones I've worn so far have been tapered and wow. Talk about adding a wide load. And I hate 3/4 sleeves. LOL! They are generally too long, so I have to roll those too. If left out they look like they're supposed to be full length but are too short, if that makes sense. I end up spending the whole day tugging at them. I guess sleeves around my knuckles don't bother me.

Again...is that Stacey London behind that tree?
Old 02-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #7  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

One other idea... A bachelor that I work with uses duct tape to hold up his hem.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #8  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I constantly have problems with the length of my pants and sleeves!

When I was thinner, I would just buy petite clothes and that was that. If the pants were too long in regulars, I would just wear heels to make up the difference.

Now, it's VERY hard to find petite plus sizes especially with any style variety and my ankle can't handle heels right now. As I sit here, I have a long sleeved cotton shirt on with the sleeves cuffed once about 3 inches. It's casual Friday, so I have jeans on that are a regular length and yes, I cuff them about 4 inches. I can't get away with that on dress pants for M-Th, so I have to splurge on the pants to get what I need. Lane Bryant is usually where I go - I hate that store (not because it's a plus size store) - but there aren't many options. Sometimes I can get what I need at Penney's. Then, I buy my shirts anywhere and just have a habit of cuffing the sleeves a bit. 3/4 sleeves and capri pants aren't really an option for me. They both are longer than they should be and shorter than full length. I did have a pair of cropped Ann Taylor pants a few years ago that worked well. Capris just look silly.

P.S. When I saw the thread title I thought we were going to be talking about how being short might (?) cause more back fat rolls! LOL!

Last edited by BeachBreeze2010; 02-12-2010 at 10:00 AM.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #9  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Oh I love 3/4 length sleeves...because they are regular length for long sleeves on me! HOOT! I roll my sleeves a lot...but also hem them too. What I don't understand is just because I am "wide" does not mean that I have gorilla length arms!

Petite pants...I still have to hem. Capris...most of them still have to be hemmed. Otherwise the capris just look like "high water" pants.

Somewhere I heard the manufacturers were going to quit making petites. I don't know if that is true or not.

Some of my pants I hem myself and some of them I take the the alteration lady. The same way for the sleeves. BUT the alteration lady has also hemmed my sleeves too short...does that feel weird to have long sleeves too short!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #10  

Height: 5'5.5"

I roll my jeans up. Of course, I care nothing about fashion right now. When I have been at goal weight for several month I am going to splurge on some new clothes and I will get them tailored.

As for other rolls I love Hungry Girl cheesy corn muffins for 85 calories!
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Okay, I'm going to channel my inner Stacey and Clinton and tell you to stop rolling your pants!

If you don't want to pay for hemming (and I totally get that, by the time you get them back they could very well be too big!) then please take 5 minutes to hem them. If you don't know how to hem, then run to Wal-Mart and get some iron on hemming tape or get a tube of liquid stitch (a fabric glue that won't wash out once it's set).

It could be that I watch too much What Not To Wear,.... but that is my not so humble opinion...
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #12  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewCreation View Post
Okay, I'm going to channel my inner Stacey and Clinton and tell you to stop rolling your pants!

If you don't want to pay for hemming (and I totally get that, by the time you get them back they could very well be too big!) then please take 5 minutes to hem them. If you don't know how to hem, then run to Wal-Mart and get some iron on hemming tape or get a tube of liquid stitch (a fabric glue that won't wash out once it's set).

It could be that I watch too much What Not To Wear,.... but that is my not so humble opinion...
This is what I probably needed to hear! Thank you! And thanks for the tip. I always forget there's that option. Do you know what section it's in? Fabrics? Laundry?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I'm not short but I an VERY short waisted so I have to roll on the other end - meaning the waistband! If I want the waistband to be anywhere around my actual waist, or right around my belly button which is what I find most comfortable, I usually end up having to roll down the waist. Esp. now that my pants are looser in the belly and butt, so there's even more fabric in that area.

Yoga pants with those waists that are designed to roll down are definitely my friend. I don't think that changes the length though?
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Eliana, I'm really glad you weren't offended--I never know how I sound in writing--LOL! You can find the products I mentioned at the fabric department of either Wal-Mart or any fabric store in general.

I'm a shorty too, and I often use the liquid stitch if I don't feel like hemming. I will 'hem' one side, lay a heavy book on it and then go back in an hour or so and do the other side of the leg. If you don't launder for 24 hours then it will 'set'. I hope one of the products work for you!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #15  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

That's a good note for me - I have a 32" inseam, so pants problems for me are not the ones you experience! However, one of my sons has pants that I am constantly hemming, and if there is an easier way to do it like those suggested above, I'm going to check into it!
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote