Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #1  

Default Anyone else taking coumadin?

I was just curious if anyone else on here is facing the challenges of losing weight while taking coumadin. I recently had pulmonary embolism from taking birth control pills and now am taking coumadin for at least 6-9 months. Due to the PE exercise is difficult and I have to watch my vitamin k intake which means pretty much all green vegetables. While there was a time when I wanted to lose weight to look better (pretty much all the time to be honest) right now my focus is on my health. I am not complaining as there are lots of other healthy foods for me to eat and I am building up my strength to exercise, I was just wondering if anyone else was going through this also.
Harbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

My hubby had PE last summer and is on coumdin for life now. Your right foods you love are bad for you when taking coumdin. I found a website..drgourment.com and it alot of good recipes. Hubby is a diabetic also which makes eating right even harder. Check out the website.
Glad you survived the PE.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 AM   #3  

Thank you so much. Nothing really puts your health into perspective like a near death experience. I have had a battery of tests and besides the PE I am in good health. I have been told though that if I have another episode I will have to be on coumadin for life. Best of luck to you and your husband, I am glad he survived too.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 157/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Harbor,
I am on coumadin for life after a 2nd PE two years ago. Just wanted to throw in my thoughts.

My doctor emphasizes that no food is off limits. She does, however, insist that I be consistent in eating foods that counteract the coumadin. Meaning I shouldn't eat a spinach salad every day for a week then stop for an entire week. I can (and do) eat boatloads of salads, greens, and other Vitamin K endriched foods and my INR is consistently at theraputic levels.

Your doctor should adjust your coumadin levels based on your diet, not base your diet on your coumadin levels. Being on coumadin sucks sometimes, (it makes my hair so dry and stringy), but I take comfort in the fact that I am (relatively) same from another PE or DVT.

Julie

Last edited by Julie131; 02-19-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Julie131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #5  

Default Hey There

I too am on coumadin for life.. I am also a diabetic and can relate to the problems of food choices.I have gained a few extra pounds and am trying to get it off. It is not easy at my age.(76)
My hair is also thin and dry and I was wondering why. Now I know it is because of the medication, I will start doing some extra moisturizing.
Have a Great Day...Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 157/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Joanne,
I finally found Aveeno moisturizing conditioner! So far it is the only thing that helps my hair look 1/2 way healthy! Worth the money, for sure.
Julie131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #7  

My hair has been so dry lately too and I didn't know why. I will have to try the Aveeno because I have been using a cocktail of different conditioners trying to help my hair. As far as the diet is concerned I was confused because I was receiving some contradictory information (which I guess can happen when you have 4 different doctors in the hospital) but now that I am seeing my primary and she is monitoring my INR levels she has given me the same advice. Just be consistent. Nothing is truly off limits, they just need to adjust my coumadin levels to match my diet and lifestyle.

Although I wouldn't wish this on anyone I am comforted to know that I am not the only one going through it.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #8  

Default coumadin

I am on coumadin. My numbers have been off no matter what I ate. So this week I decided to go back to my eating plan and start eating salads again. My Dr.is not too happy,but, I am fighting my weight and trying to lose 10 lbs that I have gained.. Too bad he will just have to adjust the medication..
I haven't got the Aveeno yet as I just forgot about it.. Hope it works for you
Have a Great Day... Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #9  

Joanne, My doctor told me that salads (small ones) are fine, I just need to be consistent. If I am going to have a salad I need to try to have one every day. I am going to try to pick up some Aveeno this weekend. I have had a horrible cold and am hoping I will start to feel radically better soon. I swear I have had enough of being sick for a lifetime, let alone one year.