Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 12:11 PM   #1  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up I need help

I am having a big problem of eating at night, after I'm alone for the first time every day. I stay with my program every day until everyone goes home and my mom (who lives with me because she can no longer live alone) goes to bed (which is about 8:30 or 9pm). After about a half hour or so, I start looking for something to eat. Granted, I don't keep much in the house that is really horrible stuff, but what distresses me is that I just keep eating. What I have tried: going to bed (useless...makes me wake up about 3am and can't go back to sleep), playing games on the computer (keeps my hands busy), crocheting, and various other things to engage my hands. I don't feel safe going out for a walk at that time of night, plus I have night blindness and can't see. I can't do anything that makes noise or she'll wake up. I keep asking myself "what is it that I need that this eating is giving me" and so far, nothing is making itself known to me. I'm hoping maybe someone out there has or had this problem and can give me some new things to try. I'm beginning to feel desperate. Thanks for listening!
Old 01-11-2003, 12:47 PM   #2  
Diva in the making !

I'm having that problem also .. it seems like after 7 p.m. for some reason i want to raid the cabinets. I know this isn't a wonderful answer, but I just have to just keep telling myself that it isn't worth it. I think about my goal, and how much more time that bag of chips will add. One step forward and two steps back.
Self control is my hardest problem !!!!!! This is the first time I've used postive self talk when on a "diet" .. and to my suprise it is working out pretty well.

I was very, very tempted Wednesday night .. my solution was just to got to bed cause my postive self talk didn't seem to be working.

Also, I come onto the message board every single night for added motivation.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:54 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Ladies you are not alone!! I am exactly the same. What I am doing is planning a late night snack into my meal plan. Nothing big, maybe a fat free pudding with some ff cool whip or a Rice Krispy treat. That way, I am not having to hold myself back. When the urge hits, I just eat what I planned. And when I don't end up having time for it..it's a bonus!!
Old 01-11-2003, 01:04 PM   #4  
Diva in the making !

JacobsMommy .. that is a wonderful idea !!!
I think I may just do the same .
Old 01-11-2003, 02:02 PM   #5  
missaprylj

Sounds to me like maybe you're either A) hungry because you don't get enough during the day or B) lonely! I know if I'm bored or lonely, I magically become *surprise surprise* hungry. You could try to play a game online, at Yahoo.com with other people. Also, drinking water when I'm hungry helps, or brush your teeth! I hope that helped some. Peace! Love, Apryl

Old 01-12-2003, 12:37 AM   #6  

If I am temped to eat at night...I placed a sign in the pantry that says...STAY AWAY LUCY!

...and I get a gallon of water and just start drinking...it works for me!
Old 01-12-2003, 02:12 PM   #7  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Thank you all for your suggestions. I did make it thru last night with my planned, OP treats (2 of them....I know myself). It was so nice to wake up with normal blood sugar and no regrets about the day before. Thanks for all your support. I JUST LOVE THIS BOARD!!!
Old 01-12-2003, 10:19 PM   #8  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

You are definitely not alone. I printed out a page with a before and after picture of me, side by side, and put it on the fridge. So there is no way that I can get into the fridge without seeing it lol. And I drink tons of water
Old 01-12-2003, 11:20 PM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

What's worked for me, Jerie, is to read. There are always a million books that I want to read. I don't like getting the pages dirty from snacks.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:16 AM   #10  

I go through periods where I have this problem, too. I wonder if it would help to make sure you get plenty of protein with your last meal or snack? Just a thought - no anecdotal evidence that it would work!

Pen
265/218.5/150ish
Closed Thread