Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 02:37 PM   #1  

Default Questions to ask on Monday?

Hi!

I am meeting with a woman on Monday to discuss the option of banding for me. I am wondering what kind of questions I should be asking. Can you guys give me some ideas?

From what I have read, and from the people I have talked to at Aetna (ppo) they do not cover the band. I will ask about this on Monday and I am willing to push for it and go through the process but if the answer is no then I will have to go about the process of making some really hard decisions as to the other options available. (a run on sentence no doubt!)

Thanks!
peach
Old 01-10-2003, 03:53 PM   #2  
she who must be obeyed

Wow peachie, I don't know very much about the band, but the first thing that comes to mind is questions about fills. Talk about a run on sentence!!

Do they do the fills? If not, who? How often do you have them done? Is there a cost or is this part of the surgery cost. If not, how much? Jiff may know the answer to all of these, but.

You and another very good friend I have met at my wls support group meetings are both having consults on Monday. I need to think good thoughts for two!!

Let me think a bit more and see what else I can come up with.

Have you posted this on that fighting web site you know which one.

Debbie
Old 01-10-2003, 04:43 PM   #3  

Hey Debkay!

Thanks for answering! I am not quite sure how the fills work and need to find out. I did read on that other board that one gal who had it done by a dr in this area pays $400 per fill. Oh, dh is gonna LOVE that! But her dr is not the one I want...I want the same one that Jiff had! BUT I wouldn't be surprised if the cost was about the same....and, Hey! I spent AT LEAST that much at weight watchers this past year....so what the hey!!!!

As to "that other board" the lap band galss over there are really nice and calm in comparison to the big board. I don't think that I have ever seen a spat and there is one gal there who is a terrific writer and has a really super sense of humor. I just like to read her "stuff"! I only posted the one message there but do continue to lurk!!!!

thanks, and if you think of any thing else....holler!

peach
Old 01-10-2003, 05:02 PM   #4  
Slowly going crazy!

Hey Peach! ! !

Okay Here are some questions to ask:

~Ask about post surgery diet. (liguids, mush for how long)
~Ask about pre-surgery diet (some US docs recommend a liquid diet for a week before surgery)
~Ask about fills, whether they are included or not. My doc includes fills for his fee ($8500) but I have to fly to San Diego to get them.. Which is still cheaper. Darn, a weekend away. Shucks...(and a write off on my taxes to boot *LOL*)
~Ask about soda and alcohol. Whether you can or should drink them after surgery, some docs say yes, some say no.
~Ask what size band they use. 9.75, 10, or 11. (I have a 9.75 band). This will determine how soon you may need a fill. My band is smaller and holds only 4 cc's of fluid. The 11mm holds 9cc's and requires more fills for some people.
~Ask about follow up care in case of band slippage (very rare) or port problems. (also rare)
~Ask if they use the newer INamed port (the smaller one) or the older one (the older one has had more port problems)
~Ask how many lap band surgeries he has done (under 50 would be a warning sign to me...he would still be in his learning curve).
~Ask how long you will stay in the hospital after surgery.
~Ask about sutures, staples or steri strips on the incisions. Each doctor uses a different method. I has sutures that I took out myslef 10 days after surgery.

I'm sure there are more to ask, but that's all I could think of off the top of my head.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:16 PM   #5  

Oh Amy!!!!

Thank you thank you!!!!

I am printing your post out and will take it with me!

I some how got the idea....and for the life of me I don't know where I got it that I won't be required to do a liquid diet pre op. I think post op, it may be six day of liquids....but I know that Jiff with her surgery was eating mush pretty quickly.

You, I take it are feeling well? Doing well? Any problems? Any regrets?......and.....did you name your band?

thanks again....lots of good stuff!
peach
Old 01-10-2003, 07:50 PM   #6  
Slowly going crazy!

*LOL* I know that others have named their band. I haven't yet thought of it. Actually to be honest I keep forgetting it's there because I don't feel it at all. (well, except when it tells me I'm full and I better stop eating or I'll be in some PAIN) *LOL*

I have absolutely no regrets with getting the band. I know that my weightloss will be slower than having the RNY, but it's still going to be a weightloss no matter what. (As long as I keep the milkshakes away *LOL*).

I'm glad my questions list can help you...oh, and did Jiffy tell you that I'm up for a get together with you and her in Feb?

Good luck on Monday! ! !
Old 01-10-2003, 09:04 PM   #7  

Amy, You made a comment about losing slower with the band! I have thought alot about that and glad you brought it up!

I am so sick and tired of losing the same 30 pounds every single year. I don't care how long it takes me to lose weight with the band as long as I can stop this absolutely awful cycle of lose and gain, lose and gain every freakin year. I am afraid, very afraid that at some point I will just give up the fight and then I will be in a very very sorry state health wise, and head wise. I am five (5) pounds lighter this year as I was last year but inbetween the calander months I took off and regained 40 pounds or more. I just can not keep it off. I have done this for the past umpteen years. I have managed to keep off the original 30 I lost almost 4 years ago but the rest paaaatooooooeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyy.

So, I look forward to the slow and steady continuous loss!!!! Sounds very happy to me and I am so glad to hear that you are doing well. Sometimes I read your signature at the bottom of your posts about the catepillar and just sigh....and think, I need a bit of courage! (and perhaps Dorothy's red slippers!

Anyway, I digesss, nothing unusual there! I do hope to meet with you and Jiff! BUT! Around here it is wrestling season and it wreaks havoc on any play time that I may get! Keep me posted as to your plans and I'lll see what I can work out!

Thanks again, Amy, I appreciate it!
peach
Closed Thread