Old 02-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Splenda, Stevia, etc.

Since really commiting to calorie counting, my splenda intake has increase dramically and I've noticed that my mild to moderate hormonal acne has become moderate to severe. I did a little research on it am thinking that my increase in splenda use may be the culprit. I can easily omit the massive amount of crystal light I've been drinking and replace that with lemon water and I can find something else to eat for my snacks (I usually have faux cheesecake w/ splenda and splenda sweetened pie cheeries on top).

Where I'm struggle is breakfast. I've been living off of a couple high protien muffin recipies that I LOVE and they all use splenda. This morning I tried replacing the splenda w/ truvia (stevia) but the after taste is awful and now I have a headache and a stomach ache. Yesterday I also had some truvia and also had a headache and stomach ache. So I need some suggestions on other lo cal ways to sweeten my existing recepies or other high protein (20 grams or so) breakfast ideas. I have big sweet tooth and I'm not much of an egg eater in the am and I need things that can be made the night before.

Thoughts?
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 242/201/155

Height: 5'9"

First ~ Crystal Lite is not associated with the main ingredient in Splenda in the least which is sucralose. Crystal Lite has aspartame and there's no association between the two. Aspartame is the main ingredient used to make diet Coke and other diet soda drinks.

Splenda is sucralose, a sugar derivative. As their advertising says "it starts with sugar..." So you don't have to cut the Crystal Lite in order to cut the Splenda. There's no association between the two.
Hades Handmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #3  
Closet health nut!

Good point. I usually use crystal light, but with trying to cut cost, I've switch to generic lately and the generic brand I've been using does use sucralose. So I just assumed crystal light did too.

Am still at a loss for breakfast though. What I am looking for is:
1. How to sweeten my current recipies without using Artificial Sweeteners
2. Another Stevia product that might be better thank Truvia
3. Alternate breakfast recipies that are around 250 cals w/ 20 g or so of protein and sweet.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #4  
banned

I can't help you with the breakfast issue. I refuse to use Splenda in my recipes and I don't have sweet tooth issues. I actually don't even like sweets so it's sort of a non-issue for me. I also don't buy any products with Splenda in it. I remember when diet Coke tried to add Splenda, it flopped because it tasted god awful. Good to know generic Crystal Lite has sucralose. I'll definitely not go generic anytime soon.

For my cereal I use PureVia which is another stevia product. I just can't do the replacement stuff. I'd rather be without the sweets than use Splenda. Sorry I couldn't help.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

I'm sorry I don't have any tips on replacing the sweeteners.

I dropped all artificial sweeteners starting 1-1-2010 and haven't looked back. I even dropped Truvia and other stevia sweeteners and use straight sugar or honey if I'm going to sweeten anything. With the high calories in sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc I tend to just not sweeten things often.

It was tough the first couple of weeks but I've found that I can drink unsweetened ice tea with lemon and coffee with just 2 tbsp of cream. I also dropped sweetening my oats in the morning except for the natural sugars in my banana, berries, etc that I mix in.

Maybe considering just not sweetening anymore? I understand for some that's a bit much. You can get used to it though and I've found that by dropping sweetners in my every day foods that my cravings for sweets have subsided some and when I do have them they taste sweeter and richer than before!

Sorry, I know this isn't much help for your baked goods. Maybe stevia in the raw? I've heard it has less after taste than Truvia. http://steviaintheraw.com/
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

I read this today and thought it might help. I don't use either one, and also can't vouch for the accuracy of the following, but I've put the link in so you can research it yourself if you want.

Apparently most stevia brands extract using chemicals and alcohols, which changes the taste of the naturally sweet leaf, thereby making it less natural. SweetLeaf Sweetener is the only truly 100% natural stevia because only pure water touches the leaves during extraction, keeping the naturally delicious taste from the leaf, which would also makes it the best tasting, with no nasty after taste –just the sweet tate. SweetLeaf is the oldest brand and the only brand whose stevia has 0 calories, 0 carbs, AND a 0 glycemic index!
http://www.healthyalterego.com/?page_id=936
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #7  
Closet health nut!

Thank CJ! I will look into this. Truvia is truely awful!!! It gives me a major headache and hearthburn!!! I NEVER get heartburn! And it taste terrible!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #8  

Smile

I use SweetLeaf brand of stevia, too and recommend it to anyone wanting to be healthier as it is a very pure stevia extract. I've use it in baking, in hot chocolate, or even their liquid chocolate flavor in skim milk--it tastes like chocolate milk, or hot chocolate if heated, and I've use the product in other ways, too!

Last edited by yodasmith; 02-08-2010 at 10:51 PM.
yodasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #9  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

Maybe use honey instead? A small dollop might be enough sweetness. And use blueberries and strawberries in your muffins.
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #10  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

FYI--- you ARE counting the calories in your splenda/stevia, right? You said since committing to counting your intake of sweeteners have increased dramatically.... Splenda and stevia and truvia and all those sweeteners CLAIM zero calories, but they arent. They get away with it because they meet some FDA guideline that says they can claim zero calories if there are less than 5 per designated serving size. So guess what they do? They make the serving size so SMALL that the amount of calories are less then 5, and they can claim zero. In Splendas case, 1 teaspoon is a serving (or one packet) and each packet actually has 4 calories. The same is tru of ANY stevia...... ALSO Cooking sprays, like Pam, actually DOES have fat and calories. I believe its something like 1 gram fat for every second of spray. They get away with it because the serving size is only ONE QUARTER of a second spray. WHO out there only sprays pam for 1/4 of a second? And remember every gram of fat has 9 calories in it, so for every second that you spray PAM you are getting almost 10 calories.

THESE THINGS ADD UP if you are eating alot of splenda or using pam, and can TOTALLY BLOW your deficit without you realizing it! you could be getting as much as 100 cals from splenda if you use 20 packets throughout the day...Or more....
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #11  
banned

I can't be that anal about calorie counting. It would cause me to fail more than it would cause me to win. I don't count my exercise deduction calories so I'm not going to worry about the one spray of Pam or the single packet of Purevia I use once every couple of days. I wouldn't count sugar or olive oil either so I'm not "fooling" myself, I'm just doing what truly works for me and it has been working.

As for Splenda for baking, it does list calories as 1/2 tsp for 10 calories. IMO, the issue isn't counting Splenda calories, it's calculating the calories in homemade food. That's a bigger issue than making sure I add 1 calorie for that burst of Pam I spray in the pan.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

This might seem kind of weird but what about oatmeal with fresh fruit mixed in, and flavored/sweetened with your Crystal Light?

I'm not completely off my rocker here... every morning I have my oatmeal made with hot tea instead of plain water (Good Earth original flavor if you are interested - very cinnamony and gingery) with a diced apple mixed in. With all the flavor choices of Crystal Light, I bet you could find some really delish combos, like Strawberry-Kiwi with fresh strawberries and/or kiwi? I might try it myself!
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I actually went back to using regular white sugar. I was using splenda/aspertame/etc etc etc and I felt horrible. I was having heart palpitations, extremely bad migranes, sweating. It started as soon as I started using the replacements and stopped as soon as I quit.

Now I am using sugar in small quantities, stevia sometimes, and honey. Maybe once every 3 weeks I have a diet coke. I just factor in the calories and call it a day!
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #14  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Hades- for those of us on a very tight calorie "budget" we HAVE to count EVERY bite, lick and taste. I was merely pointing out to the original poster, because she said since she started counting, her sweetner usage has increased dramatically.... if i were using a very large amount of splenda (which i have done) or using pam, and NOT counting the calories, it would cause me to stall, and i wouldnt know why. I have a very narrow window where my deficit has to be, and EVERY CALORIE counts...

I persoanlly have no probelms counting calories in homemade foods, because i weigh every ingredient in every meal, for every food, that i eat, then write it down, hen devide by the serving size. Simple as can be, as long as your not "guesstimating" ingredient amounts...
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote