Old 02-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #1  

Height: 6-1.5

Default My Fear-- Big fat lady goes to college

Okay, after nearly 2 years of unemployment-- last year I made like 5,000.00 in work income, I will be returining to college at 50 years old-- hoping for Someone to hire me at the end. I am terrified. I can handle the work, I am just scared of the built in prejudice against old people. I need a job but I am utterly terrified that looks and youth will always win over experience and skills. I have 9 months to loose this weight. I suppose I will be forced to dye my hair (I like gray). Please give me something that will make me believe that I will be the same person when I come out the end. I am the calmest I have ever been. I feel better than I felt 10 years ago. I actually like myself. This has never happened before. Overweight but feel good? Like myself?

What is going on? is it menopause?
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

OMG - do not dye your hair! Do not change ANYTHING for ANYONE if you are comfortable with yourself. A confident, strong, mature woman can be an automatic role model for young women, a kick in the pants to young guys' stereotypes about us old farts, and a wonderful challenge to your professors.

Stay who you are. I feel better just reading your post knowing you are striding out there! Thanks for making me (re)aware of some of my own self-imposed social restrictions.

Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285.4/285.4/150

Height: 5'6"

Actually as far as hiring after college you have a lot more going for you than the young kids coming out of college. You know what the work force is like, you will have a better sense of responsibility, and much less likely to be one that that hires on and then leaves 6 months later, and the fact that you went back to school to improve yourself will look good to any future employer. You are doing great on your weightloss which will continue to boost your confidense and finishing college would boost it to.

So I lift your head and walk in there like you own the place then blow all of those that look down on you out of the water with your grades because you will take the whole thing much more serious than 90% of the people there.
Val424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/219/145

Height: 5'5"

Be proud of what you are doing to support yourself and going to school! You might be surprised at the number of older people are in college. I got my first undergrad degree with a mid 40's guy. I'm 33 getting a second undergraduate degree. My mom got her masters in her 50's. My best friend is 30 and just about to graduate with her first degree.

College degrees don't know age. You'll do fine and I agree.. don't change for anyone but yourself if it's what you want!
slimsilhouette2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 402/277/healthy

Height: 5'4"

There's a lot in the news about how we yuppies don't retire - we start second careers instead. So, somebody has to be hiring these "old" people!!

"I actually like myself."
That's wonderful You don't have to change who you are to get a job. Employers, even in this ecomomy, are looking for enthusiastic, self assured people. That's you.
bluebutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

You know what? Don't worry about it now.

Get through what is in front of you -- going to school, getting the degree.

When resume/job hunting time actually rolls around you will have a different outlook/perspective.

While we want to look ahead and plan ahead a little bit, you don't want to fall into the trap of looking sssooooo far ahead that it distracts you from the here and now, or worse -- prevents you from even giving a try.

So go for it, full steam ahead!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-06-2010 at 10:03 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Don't fret, there are plenty of people who are hired at beyond 50 years of age. When I was in undergrad, there were a number of students who were 40+, either as undergrads or grad students. I'm going back to school myself in my mid 30s and hoping to quasi change my career.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:57 AM   #8  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Okay, Giselle, scoot over and make some room for me so we can work through the quivering fear together.

I'm freshly divorced, turned 49 on Friday, and am back at school as well. I too am fearful that no one will hire me. But fear is an emotion, and not reality.

We're not going to stay at home, afraid to live life! We're going back to school, we're going to get really good grades (because our knowledge and wisdom make us that much smarter) and we're going to get hired because we have one thing those younger people don't...can't get pregnant. Plus, we know how to manage people now.

If you love your gray hair, keep it. Change your appearance only if it suits you. I'd concentrate more on having a good cut. Spend the next year building your self-confidence into something solid and real. Join Toastmasters Club and try some public speaking. Put together a wardrobe that's suitably hip and stylish.

We're not at the end of our days, but merely starting the second half.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:34 AM   #9  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Let me tell you about my grandmother. Grandmother grew up during the Depression and, although she won a full scholarship, never got to go to college because she was the oldest of 7 children and my great-grandfather literally could not afford the train ticket to send her to Chicago. She missed out on college for a train ticket.

She had a full career, married, raised kids, no degree. When she retired, THEN she went to college...started at the age of 70. She blew those kids out of the water and graduated magna cum laude with a dual major in history and psychology. 10 years later, she told me, if she'd known she was going to live that long she would have gone on and gotten her Ph.D.

When I was writing her eulogy in 2005, I called the college alumni office to get the details about her degrees...and I was blown away because they REMEMBERED her. She was that memorable.

They didn't remember her for her weight or appearance. They remembered her because she was REMARKABLE and won over the hearts of all the 18-year-olds she was sitting in class with.

Don't worry about your looks, your age or your presumed hireability or lack of. College is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that not everyone gets to experience...just enjoy it and learn as much as you can. I promise you, no one is going to notice your (perceived) flaws. They won't. Just go and live the experience to the fullest, and enjoy every minute of it! (And if you get invited to a party, GO!!)
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:59 AM   #10  
I shall be released...

College is such a mix of people that I think you'll be surprised how well you actually fit in. I graduated from college a last year and most of my classes had "non-traditional students" in them. No one judged anyone else or took anyone else less seriously because of their age. It was actually really great for discussion and debate because people from different points in life can often offer unique perspectives. I say there's no need to change anything about yourself. Just go in with an open mind and enjoy college!

Best of luck!!!

Last edited by JustSharing83; 02-07-2010 at 02:59 AM.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:07 AM   #11  
Getting Started

S/C/G: 275/257/145

I think it is wonderful that you are going back to school! Not many people are brave enough to make that decision! So congratulations on your decision!

I am 23 years old and currently go to a small technical college. The best friend I've made while at school is a woman in her late 40's. She is brilliant and wonderful and CLASSY. I promise you, people notice that. Not many girls in their 20's are classy.

Focus on what you are about to do.. Your outgoing, confident personality will shine through all on its own!
mel hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:08 AM   #12  
Getting Started

S/C/G: 275/257/145

Also-
I'm a big fat girl in college. But everyone notices my grades, not my waist line.

Last edited by mel hughes; 02-07-2010 at 03:08 AM.
mel hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:28 AM   #13  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

I am 59. I have been an artist all my life and , never became interested in a formal education. Last summer...due to some circumstances at the time, I decided to go back and get my GED. It was really scary to face the old math demons, but I did it and and even surprised myself with a pretty good grade...Later, I thought I would like to go to college, and study nutrition. I h looked around a bit and found that the courses were far away...and gave up. After reading your post, I felt that maybe if I keep trying, I can still find a way to do it. I guess courage rubs off. Thank You.
By the way, I sneaked a peek at your picture, and you look great !
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #14  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Giselley, do not change yourself one little bit! You have so much to offer your fellow students and the faculty at your new university. I work in the library in a university and some of my very best, and most memorable, student workers were "non-trad" students. Hold your head up high, learn and enjoy this new experience. I think you will find that many of the younger students and professors will be eager to hear your POV.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #15  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

You will be amazed at how many older people are actually there too! I went back to school about 5 years ago - I was definitely still obese then and even had to take speech *gasp* I still I guess had some confidence inside and just making the steps you have shows you have that as well.

Don't get me started on menopause though - I have been trying for the last 6 months to figure out if that is what is going on with me. I have yet to bite the bullet and go talk to my dr as I dont know that I wasn the answer lol
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote