Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/202/145

Height: 5'5

Arrow Tuna in a can?

I've been reading suggestions so I can eat healthy and tuna popped up a whole lot. I know three ways I can have tuna: in a salad, in a sandwhich and just plain with oil and salt.

I like tuna but I cant eat it with a salad (the last time I did, I got sick really bad and to make it worst I went on a boat out to another island for half the day and saw too many fish--so cant do tuna and salad)

I don't have time to make food because when I get up I get ready to head to my first class (timiing is everything since I live an hour away from campus) and I usually grab something pre-made for breakfast (healthy of course ) and after class I head to the gym, then home to shower up relax for an hour or so, maybe do some homework then head out again for my next class. I get home around 7:30 everyday. So by that time I'm out and just want to eat anything.

Any suggestions on good tasting and quick tuna in the can recipes??

Thanks!!!
wonderwoman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

I have mixed it with 1/2 low fat italian dressing 1/2 reg Italian dressing(could do with just low fat but it is a taste I am breaking myself into)and various veggies. I like it with green peppers the best but you can add any veg you have on hand. I eat this alone and with crackers. Depends on where I am at with my calories( I calorie count), I suppose you could also put the tuna mixture in a lettuce leaf and make a wrap but I haven't tried that.
I also have made a tuna patty. Just tuna, egg white,bread crumbs and whatever seasoning you like, I like dill.
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #3  
Call me Finki =)

S/C/G: 400/300/155

Height: 5'6"

Here is a FABULOUS tuna spread recipe that I came up with. You can use regular mayo in place of the fat free if you prefer. I love mine wrapped in a few lettuce leaves, on crackers, or on whole wheat toast. Enjoy.

4 oz. White Albacore tuna, in water, drained
1 lrg. radish, grated
1 green onion, sliced
½ stalk celery, thinly sliced
½ T. Fat Free Mayonnaise
1 T. fresh squeezed lemon juice
Lemon pepper to taste
Mustard to taste

Here,also, is a recipe for Parmesan Tuna Patties....Soooo yummy!

Parmesan Tuna Patties

Ingredients:
1 (6 3/4-oz) can albacore tuna
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 large egg
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons ground flaxmeal or bread crumbs
1 dash garlic powder
1 dash onion powder
1 dash salt( I also add dill weed)
Directions:
Drain tuna. Blend all ingredients in a medium size bowl and form into patties. Fry in oil (I use
olive oil, but you may use cooking spray) until brown on edges. Turn. Fry until done.

Contributor's Note: These are VERY GOOD and creamy! The mayo takes away the "fishy" flavor of the
tuna. Fry up extras to refrigerate for snacks or quick lunches later.

Recipe serves four. Per serving: 284 calories, 32 grams protein, 15 grams fat (3 saturated) and 4
grams carbohydrate.

Last edited by Gelene; 02-03-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Gelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/142.6/132

Did you ever read the book "The Namesake?" It was made into a movie a few years ago with Kal Penn, but I can't remember if the tuna part was in the movie. In the book, she describes cans of tuna being the closest substitute to the type of fish they had back home in Calcutta to make deep fried fish croquettes/chops. I grew up eating tuna that way. No one in my family can stand to eat tuna right out of the can and we all pass on the tuna salad sandwich. To us, the tuna has to be "cooked" in order to taste good. These days my mom doesn't do much of the deep fried stuff unless it's a special occasion, but she still cooks it in the skillet with cooking spray/less oil and it's still delicious.

Here's an example of the recipe I am thinking of. Just stop after you make the tuna in the pan, skip the rolling in breadcrumbs and deep frying part. The onions, ginger, and garlic are key. You could cut back on the potato, skip the garam masala if you don't have it, and eliminate the green chili or substitute a little red chili powder/red chili flakes for some heat. Add a pinch of cinnamon and some chopped raisins when sauteeing the onions for an interesting taste if you want.

http://arimili.com/wp/2009/05/tuna-fish-chop/

Last edited by orthodiva; 02-03-2010 at 12:14 AM.
orthodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I know this sounds really weird, but I LOVE tuna fish fixed this way! Very simple and yummy. My Mom made this when I was young and I have been eating it this way a lot lately.

Finely chop celery (as much or as little as you want, I like lots) and mix with the drained tuna. Drizzle or pour (again, as little or as much as you want, I like lots) apple cider vinegar on the tuna. Eat with crackers, triscuits, etc. It is delicious. I suppose you could vary the type of vinegar you use, but I tried white vinegar a long time ago and it wasn't good to me.

I had thought about mixing tuna in with cooked, hot rice (jasmine or brown?) and maybe a veggie or two, maybe a small amount of cheese (I believe this is mentioned in a rice thread), but haven't tried it yet.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 242/201/155

Height: 5'9"

I like mine drained of the water with lots of lemon pepper and a touch of light mayo and then mix in grated Swiss cheese. Sometimes I heat it, other times I don't. I rarely put it on crackers or anything, just straight out of the bowl.
Hades Handmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/202/145

Height: 5'5

Thanx everyone! I'm taking some of your recipes down so I can alter to fit my taste buds . I think its going to have to grow on me slowly since tuna isn't my favorite thing.

Thanx again!!
wonderwoman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #8  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

You also might like the tuna in a pouch that already comes mixed with mayo. I think it's from Starkist and is 100 calories for the whole pouch. It's very good and doesn't have too much mayo. It doesn't need to be refrigerated.

If you really don't enjoy tuna you might want to try some salmon in a pouch or can.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #9  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

I like my tuna straight up in the pouch, I just add in some black pepper & eat it with a fork right outta the bag, same goes for the salmon in the pouch, both are delish, no need to fuss with opening a can & draining, just peel the pouch open & instant protein. I normally pack a pouch, along with some carrots & snap peas, a banana & a bag of almonds as a great portable go to lunch.

Last edited by evilwomaniamshe; 02-06-2010 at 09:18 PM.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

In Europe there is a company that makes tuna "salads" already packed in the can. I like one called "Mexican style" so much that I make it myself (cheaper). It might sound kind of weird but it's really good! and very filling. And not mayo-based for those who are turned off by that. It has red kidney beans and corn kernels and chopped carrots, and some salsa, basically. You could choose a mild or spicy salsa depending on what you like.

Tuna goes well with white beans and tomato too. Add a little vinegar or balsamic vinegar.

Susanne

Last edited by bronzeager; 02-07-2010 at 11:13 AM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/185/145

I used to force myself to eat tuna but I just don't really like it. And the fact is that tuna has a lot of mercury in it. I've found that wild caught Herring is much, much better tasting and so are sardines. Both of these are high in Omega 3s too.

With a little hot sauce or plain with some wheat thins, these are yummy!
VisitorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

If you dont like tuna, dont eat it. Tuna is pretty high in mercury anyway and certainly has no corner on health that makes it a must.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 164/151/125

Height: 5'4"

For some reason I crave tune like crazy!

I usually make 3 - 4 cans at a time. For every can I put 1tbsp of "healthy" mayonnaise (35 calories.) And a cut up a few pickles (5 calories each) and I mix it in a put it in a glad container in the fridge. The tuna is good for a few days if not more. So whenever I want tune I just measure it out. I either put it on whole wheat bread, wrap it in a big piece of lettuce or just eat it plain. It's super fast to grab, as long as I already made it.
orangebelpeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #14  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

Gelene -- I tried your "tuna patties" recipe for dinner tonight and they were AMAZING!! Didn't need any buns or sauce or anything! And easy to make too... good for someone like me who is clumsy in the kitchen

Tuna is one of my favorite meats because it's so cheap and easy to prepare. I was getting tired of the tuna-and-mayo thing, though, so hooray for new recipes.
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #15  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

I love Tuna. I sometimes eat it with egg whites and spinach and onions (like an omelet). Other times, I mix it with salsa. I like to make different kinds of tuna salads (the possibilities are endless).
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote