Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #1  

Default Comfort Eating to deal with pain

I've known for years that I comfort eat but have always just thought that was down to depression and anxiety. But I have recently realised I comfort eat A LOT just to help me deal with pain (which is chronic and constant).

Does anyone else do this? And has anyone got any tips for how to replace it with something more desirable?
TheTigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #2  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

I know excatly how you feel. I suffer from anixety and I tend to eat junk food to calm me down. But then after I eat the junk food I feel bad and get depressed and wind up eating junk again to numb the feelings of depression.
Recently I've been trying other activties other than eating to calm myself.

Im really into video games. So now whenever I feel anxiety coming on I'll go and play my Wii or something.
Also I found listening to nature sounds like ocean waves and birds also calm my nerves.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I'm sorry to hear that you are in so much pain; you didn't say what from, so can't offer any ideas there, but maybe a warm bath and some hot tea (like ginger tea to calm the nerves). I like regular and blackcurrant tea. I also like to read a nice book with a happy ending; and listen to calming music, especially instrumentals like pipes or Japanese instruments.

Doing anything that might distract my mind for awhile; maybe a hobby craft that you enjoy or games on the net, etc. And honestly, I pray and read my bible too; and sing or play my piano or organ and find that is so helpful for me ...

I also find that having a couple of rests or naps (with sleep or not) really help me each day; I put my legs up for about 1-2 hours a day -- once after lunch and in the evening as well; and sometimes just before bed. I read or do puzzles; write poems & songs; or write letters; or even do some mending to pass the time.

Some ladies here have tried acupuncture for pain and say that it really helped them; or maybe massage therapy too -- something to consider. Hope you find some relief soon ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-29-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 219/199/145

Height: 66"

I have that problem. You didn't mention your dx, but I have CFS/FM and sjoegren's. I am in pain all the time, but when it ratchets up (I am moving overseas while working full time, for example) I find I eat stuff to feel better. Sometimes I eat as though I am looking for a silver bullet to get my energy back.
A lot of people mention nerves. I just want to take a nap, but being a person with a job and household/farm chores (animals can't feed themselves) It is simply not realistic. I don't yet have a coping mechanism for it, but acknowledging the pain and comforting the body (heating pad, bath, medication, calling your doctor if you are having a flare, etc.) is never bad. I take a heating pad to work, snuggle with my dog (who has pain issues also!) and cancel some of my social engagements. I have found that when I'm in pain I'm a little generous with my wine portions. I am trying to use herbal tea in stead. I found a tea I like a lot, so I am hoping... I was doing a little yoga. Not the flow stuff because my joints get pissed off at the skinny girls whipping through poses until I am 15 behind! No, I meant get into a pose and breathe and stretch... Next one... Etc. That helps when I've Not overslept! I have a fibri cd that has a guided meditation which helps.
I think it's important to acknowledge your pain. Often we are here because we ignore warnings and push through until our bodies can't take anymore. I don't revel in it, but when I stop and acknowledge, I can be more mindful.
Pain sucks, sister.
Sproink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #5  

My "condition" for want of a better word is quite complicated, but I will try to keep it as short and simple as I can LOL!

I was born with a deformed pelvis and left hip. There is actually no ball and socket on the left hand side at all. Just the solid bone of my pelvis. My left leg ends with a small nub of bone at the back of this and sits directly on my sciatic nerve, wearing it away with every movement. As a result of this, my left leg has always been shorter (currently by 2 inches) and as I was never given any surgery etc to rectify these things, as I grew up, my pelvis was tilted and my spine became like an elongated corkscrew.

Still with me? LOL ok. There are now 3 areas in my spine where discs are wearing against each other damaging the nerve endings coming out from between the discs. The most severe one is between L4 and L5 (if memory serves). This has actually cut the nerves to my left leg in at least 2 places now and I have lost a lot of use/feeling/control of this leg now.

The pain from the nerves all being crushed and damaged is constant and has been for about 20 years now, although it has been been painful on and off as far back as I can remember. I am on painkillers, anti-inflammatories, pain signal blockers etc etc etc (13 tablets for breakfast lol). I have tried just about every holistic, theraputic, homeopathic (list goes on) on the market and am at the limit of my medication as I am allergic to morphine.

That's not even mentioning the depression, asthma, allergies....

God I feel like I need a bar of chocolate just listing that!

I've already spent 6 years in a wheelchair and am out of it just now, JUST! I can only walk a few yards at a time.

Please don't feel sorry for me though. I do have a good life. I have 2 gorgeous kids, a man who loves me and who I love, great parents, 2 dogs and I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. If I could only get rid of the weight...
TheTigz is offline   Reply With Quote