Old 02-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Default Why I love Counting Calories!

Today for lunch I packed a nice salad for work. Unexpectedly my boss invited me to lunch at In N Out burger. I was thrown for a loop, but decided to go anyways. I've been so careful these first couple weeks with my new diet. I only ate 3/4 of the burger and about 1/2 of the fries. Immediately I looked up the nutritional information and recorded it (I was so nervous!). It ended up being about 650 calories total since I only ate part of it.

I love how calorie counting is flexible and allows for those unexpected times that pop up. It makes me feel that for the long term I can maintain my weight after the loss by watching calories, not by restricting certain foods as off limits.

Tell me, why do you prefer calorie counting over other diets?

Have a wonderful day!!
Kristi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #2  

I love it for that exact reason! I don't have to cut anything out, just make room for it. Most of the time I try to make the most of my calories but sometimes I just need a burger or chocolate or whatever I'm craving that day.

Good for you on only eating half!! You clearly have more self control than I do.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I had a similar experience today, also related to a work lunch. We had ordered in so I did get to pick what I wanted and got a salad with some grilled salmon on it. But then when I opened the box, there were chips and a big cookie!! I passed the cookie onto a co-worker, but looked at the calorie info on the chips, and figured out that I could work them into my daily budget and enjoy. It helped that the dressing was so tasty, I was able to do the "dip the fork tines" thing and only use 1/4 of it!

Last edited by PeanutsMom704; 02-04-2010 at 04:35 PM.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #4  
Weight Watchers!

S/C/G: 221/ticker/175

Height: 5'

Same here! We eat out and it is just a fact of life. I went to Taco Bell and had the Fresco Chicken Taco and the Fresco Steak Taco for a grand total of 300 calories!
I print out the menus to fast food places and restaurants so I am always prepared.
I also love the basic science of it.
eviemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #5  
GoWear Fit All-Star

S/C/G: 280/266.8/150

Height: 5'6"

I also like it because its FREE!
mulder1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #6  
Shelly

S/C/G: 124/Check Ticker/110

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I had a similar experience yesterday. The group I am working with decided to go to Macaroni Grill for lunch. I thought there was no way I was going to be able to eat much of anything there. I looked things up before hand a picked a few dishes I could eat half of and stay within the calorie range that I wanted. When I got to the restaurant I was pleasantly surprised to find they have a new menu that shows the calorie counts... and there was a whole dish on there with less calories than the half dishes I had picked out! It was awesome!
beachbabe8406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #7  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

I love calorie counting because it's not restrictive. It allows for date nights, work lunches and romantic dinners. Just a lot of flexibility. It only requires planning.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #8  

I agree with Mulder and jigglefree. Never thought I'd like CC but I am so into now and lovin' it.... I journal and even that's fun
.....and everything and anything at your fingertips, just up to you to make the better choices, and still have a snack of choice.
L.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #9  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

I like calorie counting because there are clearly definable goals and I always feel good when I meet my calorie intake target. Also, those times when you do go wrong you can clearly see how much you have to make up for.

For a while I tried to guess and just eat well, but it doesn't work so well without those clear cut boundaries and targets strict calorie counting provides.
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 182/135.4/132

Height: 5' 4.5

I love calorie counting because I feel in control of what I am doing. I have boundaries, but inside of those boundaries I have some freedom too. If I want to eat out or have that little piece of chocolate, I can! I just have to account for it and stay within my calorie range. I think it helps resolve a lot of eating guilt for me too. I don't have to feel bad because of something I ate, I just have to make it work into my day calorie wise.
lovingsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #11  
The Last 10lbs!

Why do I love it? Because I had a loss this week of 0.6, which is a lot for me recently, and I ate garlic bread (one of my FAVOURITES) twice! YAHOO!
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

I love that nothing is "off plan" if I really want it and figure out how to fit it into my calorie budget.

But even more, I love the fact that because there is no forbidden food, I'm less tempted to cheat, so I don't even bother eating the foods I would have cheated with. I know they are there, if and when I want (or feel like I HAVE to have them) but knowing that makes it much easier to decide, nope, don't really want it.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #13  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

I love it for all the reasons listed here It being free is great, anyone can do it.

I like being in control. I am also a horrid picky eater lol. So it means I dont have to worry about finding stuff I will eat so much.

I also like it because it really gives you so much of a better understanding about what you are eating. Since starting calorie counting I learned so much about nutrition and would be hugely surprised about what calories some things do have!
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 242/201/155

Height: 5'9"

I love counting calories because I know that you don't combine 2 dinners as one dinner and then complain about not losing weight. Example: I make chicken wraps for dinner just like McDonald's does. I take either grilled (for me) or fried (for the kids) and wrap them up with some lettuce and cheese. They are healthy and you get 2 for 400 calories if done right. That's a dinner for me. Well, tonight my roommate's daughter and grandkids are coming over and she's making the fried ones AND mac & cheese for dinner which is a whopping 800 - 900 calories depending on the size of the mac serving. One serving is 400 calories, the wraps would be 500-600 (I haven't looked up the fried calories) and then add mac on top. UGH. For me that's just too much and I'll probably leave while they eat. I just can't fathom 1000 calories for dinner. But if you do eat that, don't complain that I am losing and you aren't (as my roommate).
Hades Handmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 270/208.6/165 (HW285)

Height: 6'

I like counting calories because I can still eat whatever I want (just not necessarily as much as I want). It is easy to do once I got into the habit of doing it. The hardest part of calorie counting for me is figuring out calories in casserole type dishes(if I am not using a receipe that includes nutritional info). I usually end up doing the math for the whole pan and then dividing that number into servings.
mkyice is offline   Reply With Quote