Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/244/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Need help making lunch decision

I eat in 26 Minutes and I'm back and forth. I used to eat greek once or twice a week. I love it. I got a gyro, huge fries and salad all with lots of ranch dressing. I really would like a gyro. I was going to scale it down to just a gryo salad. It's been a month since I last had it. I've only lost 16lbs so far. Have I not lost enough weight yet to warrant an eat out? Do I need to weight for a bigger milestone? This time around I'm not going to say I'll never have these foods again, it's will be in moderation and scaled down. I do weight watchers and I'm assuming this will be about a 15 point meal, and I have the points to spare, but should I wait longer to eat it and just eat a frozen WW dinner?
moveforward73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

That's a very personal decision, I think. I would caution you to try not to use food as a reward, but if circumstances place you an old favorite spot and you have the points to spare, why not?

My only thought comes from me personally and how I react. I'd rather have a meal like that later in the day because it's likely to trigger cravings you'll have to power through from lunch onward. If I eat like that at dinner I can just go to bed where all cravings go to sleep.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

I think as long as you track the points you're okay. Another option would be to make this 6-point gyro at home tonight. I haven't tried it yet, but was planning on making it this week!

4 oz lean leg of lamb, boneless, trimmed
1/8 tsp table salt, or less to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or less to taste
1/8 tsp dried oregano, or less to taste
1/8 tsp dried thyme, or less to taste
1 spray(s) cooking spray
2 Tbsp fat-free sour cream
1/8 cup(s) English cucumber, finely diced (2 Tbsp)
2 tsp dill, fresh, chopped
1 tsp fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1 item(s) Weight Watchers 100% Whole Wheat Pita Pocket Bread, cut in half
1/2 cup(s) romaine lettuce, or green leaf lettuce, finely chopped
1 medium plum tomato(es), chopped
Instructions

* Season lamb to taste by rubbing all over with salt, pepper, oregano and thyme; set aside.

* Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray; warm over medium-high heat. Place lamb in center of skillet and cook, flipping once, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare, or longer to desired degree of doneness. Promptly remove lamb from heat; set aside.

* Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sour cream, cucumber, dill and lemon juice; mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper.

* Thinly slice lamb against the grain. Open pita halves and fill with equal amounts of lettuce, tomato and lamb. Drizzle with sauce and serve. Yields 2 stuffed pita halves per serving.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #4  

I have trouble find the meat at the store, but I may go ahead and wait another day. Maybe I'll drop by the store tonight and see if I can find it and make the meat up and bring the salad with me tomorrow. I can always eat out tomorrow if I feel the need. Thanks so much. I know my little Gyro place is probably trying to figure out what happend to me. All I have to do is walk in and they start preparing my meal, I don't have to say a word other than hello, they take my card run it and I pick it up at the end of the counter. They are so good to me there. They are gonna be completely thrown off when I say WAIT changing it up today.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #5  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I would agree not to use food as a reward or to allow yourself "treat" meals too often or this early in the game. I've been craving an old favorite of mine, too, a Steak Ina Sack....greasy shaved steak and provolone cheese in one of those pita bread things...so disgusting and declicious. But whenever I'm craving it, I think about what happens AFTER I eat it...will I be able to go right back to being on track? Will I feel lethargic and lazy and "fatter"? I've managed to avoid it by really just overanalyzing it until the craving is gone!! Lol.

However, if you think you can keep it under control and it won't trigger any unhealthy habits or throw you off track...it's okay every now and then. Just really weigh out all the options and outcomes...every decision matters!

Good luck!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I'm calorie counting, not doing WW but according to Fitday, a gyro sandwich with tzatziki, not ranch dressing) is 593 calories, 12.2 gr fat, 44 gr protein and 4 gr fiber.

I've had one twice since I started my plan, I just made sure to make room for it in my daily calorie allowance.

But I'm not looking at things as being "on a diet" so I don't consider any food to be forbidden. I'm just trying to make overall good choices, but need to have a way to have the occassional restaurant or take out meal work for my life. I don't seem to have any issues with particular foods triggering cravings for me, though.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I try to never splurge impulsively or to wait until it builds up and I can't stand it anymore. Impulsive splurges add up (I have impulses every day!) and putting it off until you break makes the splurge seem like this huge big amazing thing. Instead, what I do is schedule it. Decide right now that you will have the gyro salad next Friday, or something like that. Then, when you have the impulse to have one, you can say "No, I am having that next Friday" and you won't feel forever deprived, and then when you do have one on Friday, it will be a treat, but it won't be this big emotional "giving in" thing--it's just a meal, not a symbol or a catharsis.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
it's just a meal, not a symbol or a catharsis.

words of wisdom!!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #9  

Thanks for all the info. All great ideas. Shmead, I think you are right on with scheduleing it. I think that is what I will do from now on. I went ahead and ate my weight watchers meal, and tonight I'm going to stop by walmart and see if they have the gryo meat. If I can make it at home even better for me cuz I can choose the amounts then instead of guessing what the restaurat give me.

This time around I'm not saying I CAN NOT have this or that. Last time I did that i went into melt down. I'm tracking EVERYTHING I eat, and going by WW point system. I'm trying to make better choices, looking at whole grains, low calorie/low fat substitues, etc. I know I'm going to eat out sometime, I'm trying to do good right now, but I know there is going to come a time when I am going to need to for whatever reason. I'm not going to panic when I do, even if I eat a big mac. There are points for it. I'm just going to track it. make better choices rest of day and week, and try to make up for whatever I go over. I've heard alot of people say I can NEVER touch that again, and I can't do it. I will go into panic mode. There is room in my life for the food I love, but I just need to have it in moderation.