Old 02-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #1  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

Default 30SD - Shoes question!

I just recently started exercising.. I was doing the treadclimber, but just started up the 30DS. The tennis shoes I have are several years old and just seem really bulky.

When I am doing the jumping jacks they seem to be pounding the floor. So I have decided I want some new workout shoes.

My question is what is the difference between "training" shoes and "running" shoes?? I want some that are comfortable, light weight and I can use for my workout videos, tread climber and maybe jogging.

Any suggestions??
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Crosstraining shoes are generally the type you want for all purpose exercising. They support your food as you move in various directions. Running shoes are best for running.

I actually bought running shoes for my exercise videos because it was important to me to have non leather shoes and wide cross trainers without leather are not easy to come by. They work well for me.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/135

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

check out vibram five fingers
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/
Carly Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 172/156/145

Height: 5'4"

those vibram five fingers are wild! Do you own a pair, Carly? I wonder what they feel like on your toes? Are they like toe socks?
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #5  
Future Skinny Pastry Chef

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I bought a pair of Nike Impax PTU for the purpose of walking, but since we've been butt-deep in snow since December, I've been using them for the videos. It's somewhat alleviated the foot cramping I tend to get after the first circuit in L1, plus I get a better grip on the floor than I do in my socks.

ETA: Okay, I want a pair of those five fingers shoes purely as a talking point. OMG.

Last edited by Rashomon; 02-04-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Rashomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

If you decide to do much jogging, you'll probably want a separate pair of good (ie not cheap) running shoes, since using them for other exercises wears them out faster. So, I'd say get a pair of cross-trainers for your exercise videos and whatnot.

I have a pair of super cheap lightweight cross-trainers (I think they were from Payless!) that I use at home. And I actually wear a pair of my old "retired" running shoes (they hurt my feet when running because I wore out the cushiony-ness) for various things at the gym (elliptical, kickboxing class, running on the treadmill).
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #7  
Future Skinny Pastry Chef

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Oh, I forgot to mention: Check out 6pm.com. They tend to have pretty decent sales on shoes so if you're not going hardcore and need to go to a specialized running store, then it can't hurt to check them out.

Unless you have big feet like me. We tend to be SOL on the good styles.
Rashomon is offline   Reply With Quote