Old 01-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #6

Good morning to you all! I woke up early to see what the weather was like and it is still dry here, but it won't be in a few hours. They are now saying the icy weather is south of us, but we may get almost a foot of snow. Do you know what that will do in this area? Everything will come to a standstill, literally and figuratively. These people have no clue how to function in 3 inches let alone 10-12. All we can do is hope they goofed again, but I am looking at it on tv right now and it is a huge band of snow. They did cancel all county and city schools so I don't have clinic today. Jack decided yesterday to take today off so we will just hunker down unti it blows over I guess.

I am feeling ok, though am having some spotting and cramping on and off. I imagine I will just have to put up with it until the dr and I decide what is best. I read up on it all and more than likely they will leave the cysts alone, but nowadays I guess they can go in vaginally and cut out the polyps so we shall see. I guess it depends on how big the stuff is etc.

Tom is home and doing ok. He had a stone in the saliva gland and it was huge. It looked from the picture like it was about the size of dime, maybe a bit smaller. Hopefully he will now feel better and be back to normal poor thing.

One of the attractions we are going to in Chattanooga as I said is Rock City. They have a section of the trail called fatman's squeeze. I will definitely NOT be trying to get through there. I am going to do the shorter trail and let Jack take T on the longer one then meet up. I don't want to end up on the news stuck between two rocks....

Not much other news around here. We are just waiting out the storm. Luckily, we have a snow shovel be brought with us from Indiana so we can shovel the deck off. I also have some coarse salt we can put down, though there is no rock salt anywhere to be found of course.

You all have a good day and a great weekend. I am going to work on some knitting this weekend as I just have not felt like doing much of anything. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another morning in my neighborhood, -6, but the sun is shining. I'm covering for Bob's secretary this afternoon so need to get my chores done this morning. Once I leave the house I never seem to get back to whatever I started before I left.

"Gma" -- I hope the storm detours around you. On the Today show this morning the weatherman said they weren't sure which way the storm would travel. I hope it is not north as we've had enough! I had to chuckle about the schools closing but better safe than sorry. One of our neighboring districts hired a new superintendent from FL a couple of years ago. He would call off school if a dark cloud was visible. Finally some of the teachers met with him and they set up a plan where they would study the weather and work with the director of transportation to decide if they should call off school or not. I hope you feel better each day. Did you quit the progesterone? (That doesn't look right but you know what I meant.)

Well, sitting here is not getting my work done so I'm off. Have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #3  

Good morning, ladies! It's only 28 degrees and we are supposed to have snow starting this morning and continuing until Saturday night - 6 inches. We'll be paralyzed like Faye.

I have my cardiologist appointment at 1 pm today. I hope he has something to tell me why I am so fatigued all the time and something to five me my energy back. Of couse, my legs and feet aren't swollen today.

Faye, I don't even have a snow shovel. I plan on staying in until it melts. I hope you have a great weekend with Thomas.

Jean, I bet you are ROFL at me and Faye moaning about our snow after all you have had.

I need to go to Joann's Fabrics before I go to the doctor so have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Is It Friday?

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Where has the week gone. Friday already. I got a good laugh when I went out to the kitchen this morning and happened to look out the window and the back yard is covered with fresh snow. All the other from the prior storm had melted. We got several inches of snow during the night and it is a bright sun shiney day and I didn't even know the ground was covered with white. We didn't have it in the forecast but it came anyway. My back has quit hurting for the most part ~ just a bit of a twinge once in awhile. It is my weakest point so when I get something it settles there. I am just thankful that the pain does leave and not stay around. I might just have to be grouchy. At least this way I can always see the light at the end of the tunnel. We have been looking at used motorhomes. Come spring I do think we will be seriously looking. Don't want a real big one but a good one. We have been planning out our garden we plan to have this year. I plan on drying a good amount of it.

DONNA FAYE I can't say I have ever heard of anyone having a saliva gland stone. That must have been so painful. I am so glad they have it all taken care of now. Yep, best for you and your main squeeze to stay in during the storm because it wouldn't be you causing the accident but those who don't know how to drive in it would surely be an accident waiting to happen. I am so glad we have that Jeep.

JEAN It is good of you to be secretary for the afternoon. I imagine that it helps with your day to be interesting.

SUSAN Cozy up and enjoy your quilting on days you have to be inside.

All y'all have a wonderful afternoon ~ evening. Type later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all! It is ugly here. We started out yesterday around 9 or so with sleet for about half an hour then snow and it stopped suddenly. I thought we had dodged a big bullet. Jack went to the store to pick up some stuff for dinner and I went out and shoveled a path from the back door to the garage and put the only salt I had, which was a big box of kosher salt. That kept it pretty clear until yesterday afternoon when the temps dipped way below 30 and it started raining and hard. That gave us about 1/4 inch of solid ice, ice on trees, power lines etc. We went to bed with the rain having stopped but it being very dangerous outside. I got up and let Fortch out this morning and it is now snowing. The temps are not going to budge until mid Monday morning so we are going to have to put up with this mess. I think I will send Jack on a small fact finding later today to see how hard it is to get out and around.

Jean: They waited until 5 am and closed schools here yesterday with the streets and all completely dry. They have smartened up about it because of an incident way back when we lived here in the 80's. It was a holiday, Columbus Day or something and the kids had school but Jack was off (he was still in the Navy.) We went to the mall while the kids were in school and it started snowing. The mall started closing stores and we didn't even know why until one shop worker told us. Well, they had let out school and we were across town. Our poor babies couldn't get into our house and it took us 4 hours to get home. I was frantic of course, but out neighbors took the kids in. Some of the bus kids didn't get home until midnight!!!! So, they err on the side of caution and close schools if there is a hint of snow. I am on two weeks of estrogen, one week to go and still on progesterone until they take me off it. I will discuss it with her when I go to my appt on the 18th.

Susan: All you can do is batten down the hatches and stay in and quilt!

Maggie: Hope you are feeling much better. My sister emailed me this article that I found interesting and wondered if it worked. It said that if you have a cough to rub vicks on the bottom of your feet and wear socks and the cough will stop. I wonder if it works? We called Kelly's last night to make sure they were all ok and she said Tom is feeling much better. She had taken the day off to take care of him so they were all at home yesterday thank goodness.

I guess I better get out of here and get some work done. I have so much to do that still hasn't gotten done, but have had on and off symptoms of the testing. One thing is the darn saline solution caused a terrible galding type rash on one leg. It itches like the devil, but is it better this morning after I showered again yesterday and am keeping it dry with medicated powder. Another reason to defat myself!!!

Have a good one gals. Faye
Old 01-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #6  

Good morning, ladies! The snow has started and we have about 4 inches so far and it's supposed to continue until tomorrow morning. When I looked out this morning, I couldn't see any tire tracks so assumed I wouldn't be getting a paper today and then I noticed someting snow covered on the porch so went out and it was the newspaper! They must have delivered before the snow started! It's not supposed to start melting before Monday - but the rain comes back on Thursday and Friday so it will be gone.

The cardiologist did an EKG which was okay but ordered an echocardiogram and stress test to be followed by a right side heart catherization to accurately measure the pulmonary hypertension. I have the first 2 tests February 8, the cath February 22 and my follow up with him on Febuary 27.

We are having another big squabble in the quilt guild and I've had it with them. The board we have now has to be in control of everything to the smallest degree. They have set up all these rules for every committee and wonder why no one will volunteer. My friend, who is the one who came up with the idea for the challenge we volunteered to head again, wrote a poem and sent it to the board and everyone who had signed up. I'll post a copy. The guild president called me last night and had the nerve to say she knew we'd see it as a slap in the face what she had put in the newsletter about the challenge and I just listened to her very politely and then told her I'd speak with Pat and we'd get back to her and she told me she had called Pat first and she had told her she was comfortable with her decision to quit, but she hoped I'd do it anyway. I just very politely told her I was done, too. The board could do the challenge. I talked to another friend and she and I are going to quit this guild and join the one in Gloucester where we already have numerous friends and know the board is reasonable. I've been a member of this guild since 1992, long before those on the present board joined, and I hate to give it up but I'm not going to accept their rudeness anymore.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, so to speak.

I've got laundry going and I need to mop and vacuum today. Just out of habit, I guess. Now that I'm home more during the week, I'm going to try to keep my weekends free.

Jean, I baked my chicken at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, turned it over and then backed another 10.

Faye, we've had a similar experience around here with the buses starting out and then not being able to get the kids home on the rural roads and having to go back to the school. Same results, close early! They have told us to stay off the roads today and tomorrow unless it is an emergency. I'm warm and snug, have plenty of books, books on CD, quilting and movies so I can be happy indefinitely.

Have a great day!
Old 01-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun has come out from behind the clouds so it looks warmer than it is outside. We made a flying trip to Sioux City this morning. Bob decided to try on his shorts that he wanted for next week and they had shrunk since last summer. Imagine that! I am surprised, in a way, the amount of summer clothes that is out all ready. There is still lots of winter clothing and even Christmas stuff to get rid of.

Susan -- I did giggle to myself when you mentioned the predicted snow. I must say that the weathermen seem to be doing a better job this year. Sometimes we get the warnings and then no weather follows. I just remember when we lived in Ohio how the locals would panic at the first inch of snow. I'm glad the EKG was ok, but sorry you have to wait so long for the other tests. I think waiting is the worst part. I feel badly about your quilt guild squabbles but have been involved with different boards over the years and know where you are coming from. I'm sure you will enjoy the other guild; it's nice that Pat is going with you or you with Pat.

Maggie -- Does RM like the snow? I wish our snow drifts would melt some but it has been way too cold. We can tell the sun is "warmer" because the west side of the house, deck, and patio melt if the sun is out. It was pretty quiet at the office yesterday. The secretary was only gone for a little over an hour so I couldn't do much damage. One agent was gone, the adjuster has his own phone, and Bob could answer any questions so I mainly took up space. I'm glad your back is feeling better.

"Gma" -- I guess the weathermans prediction for you was right on target too. At least you are home and have electricity/heat so all is well. Does Fortune like the snow or does he wonder what in the world it is?

Much as I don't feel like doing anything I need to get busy. I had a morning of cleaning bathrooms planned and digging out luggage. Now that will be my afternoon agenda. Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 01-30-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:04 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all! Another cold day here, but looks like the precipitation has moved on. We went out for lunch yesterday just to get out of the house and the roads were clear and dry except for small patches here and there. I was able to get into Ruby Tuesday's easily as there was no snow/ice built up at the entrance at all. It was nice to be out for a couple hours.

Susan: Doesn't that stuff just drive you crazy. We left our church in Indiana because of changes the deacon board and pastor just made willy nilly without even consulting the congregation. I know my dd had been on the pta board and quit over some ugly stuff and definitely doesn't have anything nice to say about the board as a whole now. Power, or the idea of power makes people nuts sometimes. Glad you have another guild you can join where you will be happy. Hope the weather is getting past you now and then will clear up quickly for you. Wishing you good luck with all your tests. I will be glad when the decisions about my situation are made and we can move forward and fix this. No 56 year old woman should still be having to put up with this stuff. I am definitely not one of those nut cases that wants to have another child at this age. I am done with that part of my life so want what goes with it to be done too!

Jean: Jack doesn't have to have much for vacation in the way of clothing, but he does have to replace his flip flops. These things are disgusting and why he just doesn't toss them is beyond me. They are falling apart. You have to be so excited to right on the edge of leaving and going to some nice warm weather. I hope you have lots of fun. Fortune doesn't seem to mind the snow, but he doesn't hang around outside. He does his business and wants back in right away. He hates the rain though that's for sure.

Well gals, I am going to check and see if Jack is up then get us some breakfast. Have a good day all! Faye
Old 01-31-2010, 09:24 AM   #9  

Good morning, ladies! It's only 19 degrees this morning and the roads are still snow covered. Neither my neighbors nor I have been out and there was no newspaper this morning. Needless to say, I'll be going to Mass via TV today.

I'm going to rearrange my family room today. That sounds really exciting, doesn't it...NO...but it needs to be done.

Faye, I'm glad you were able to get out. It's supposed to start thawing tomorrow and it won't be long before it is gone. I can understand Jack hanging on to his flip flops. I have a pair o sandals that is in shreds but they are broken in just right...

Jean, it seems like you can never buy clothes in the season they were meant for. There isn't a winter coat to be found here. All the sandals, shorts, sleeveless blouses, etc. are out. I've had clothes shrink during the off season, too. LOL Cupid keeps going from window to window trying to figure out what has happened to everything and what is that white stuff. I can't remember the last time we had this much snow.

I'm going to make a pork roast, sweet potatoes and broccoli for dinner with leftovers for the freezer.

Have a good day.

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 01-31-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sky is a pretty blue with a few clouds; the sun has been playing hide 'n seek most of the morning. We drove to church in snow flurries which were NOT on last nights forecast. They didn't amount to anything so that was good. We're to get 2 - 4" tomorrow sometime. Yippee . . .

I've been vacuuming the dust bunnies and am reminded each time I vacuum how much I HATE this laminate floor. GRRRR!

I think we are going to go see the movie It's Complicated later this afternoon. The previews looked like it would be good.

"Gma" -- Why is it that men will hang on to their favorite shoes, slippers, etc.? I bought Bob a new pair of slippers and they sat in the closet for months until I hid his old ones and then he started wearing the new ones. I have lots to do before we leave on Thursday. I will really be excited when we get out of Denver! The couple we are going with are both taking the day off from work where before they had to work until 5, so we could leave earlier for Omaha. It just depends on the weather situation. The prediction is for snow starting Wednesday night and on into Thursday, but they aren't saying how much yet.

Susan -- Bob opened the door to let Ernie take a look at the snow and he did go out. He took about four steps and jumped back inside. He was an outside stray so maybe he remembers winter. Your dinner today sounds yummy. Have fun rearranging your family room. My next house will have rooms that are more adaptable for that. Where we are now is chopped up by a fireplace on one wall, a picture window on another wall, stairs on the third wall, and open to the kitchen/tv area in the fourth direction.

I need to keep moving and finish what I started just to show Bob that I can! Have a relaxing rest of the day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #11  

Good morning to you all! It is quite chilly this morning, but it melted all day yesterday and all you could hear was water dripping off the condo and the tree and pieces of ice off the branches falling. It would scare Fortune to death of course.

Susan: Jack went out yesterday once but I didn't go anywhere yesterday. I need to get work done in this condo today regardless and then run to the store this afternoon before he gets home. Jack wears those type of flip flops that don't go between the toe, but have the wide piece over the top. The bottom is crumbling off bit by bit and he almost fell in the house the other day because he wore them outside to get the mail and then came back in with them wet and slippery. I told him we are not taking another vacation unless he replaces them. They are a disgrace and he can hardly keep them on because the piece over the instep is starting to tear now. Men are goofy creatures of habit I guess.

Jean: Keeping my fingers crossed for you that you have decent weather to get out of Omaha then Denver and don't get stuck. I know you have to be excited about getting into some nice weather for a change. Did you like "It's Complicated?" I thought the movie was a total riot especially that bedroom scene with the laptop. Almost peed my pants on that one. I can't wait until it comes out on video and I can buy it.

Nothing much going on here today except trying to get some cleaning done. I have to make some doggy appts for yearly and grooming and one for me and one for Jack to go and get our eyes checked so we can get bifocal contacts. I can go during the week but Jack will have to have a saturday appt if I can get one. He is trying to hold on to all his vacation in case they want to do surgery on me so he can be off.

Well gals, I need to get hopping. Fortune isn't in the mood to clean so I am going to have to do it. Have a good start to your week! Faye
Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #12  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is snowing in earnest this morning. We are supposed to get 2 - 4" and I'm guessing we've got a good inch judging by what's on the deck. I've got a load of laundry going and need to finish some decluttering I started yesterday and didn't finish.

I have several errands that I planned to do today and tomorrow so I hope the weather doesn't get nasty. Bob said the TV weatherman commented that our area has had over 40" of snow this winter . . . and winter isn't over by a long shot. We've had snow storms in April, but at least by then the snow doesn't last long.

"Gma" -- Glad that your ice and snow are gone. We had chunks of ice falling from the trees and it is rather startling. I hope you can talk Jack into new flip flops. We did enjoy the movie! That is my kind of movie with no blood nor guts. If you ever talk Fortune into cleaning let me know so I can work on training Ernie.

I need to get busy. Have a marvelous Monday and remember to !

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-01-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #13  

Good morning, ladies - 31 degrees already so this stuff might start melting.

Some kind neighbor, I think the teacher, sholved my walk and cleaned my car off yesterday. When I went to check for the newspaper this morning, I did a double take because it was done. I am so thankful.

I need to finish the family room today. We don't have bible study tonight because the schools are off today (end of semester).

Faye, thanks for the reminder! I need to make an appointment to get my eyes checked, too.

Jean, sending good vibes your way for the way to Omaha to be clear and Denver to have no problems. You deserve your time in the sun! Everything is realitive...you think the snow Faye and I had is nothing and the people in Buffalo think the same of your total. One thing for sure, its been good and cold so maybe the ants will be fewer this year.

I need to get busy, so you all have a good day!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking February 1

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a new month already. I had a good talk with myself and have decided to do better with my program this month than I did last month. I feel that I rather squandered January. Ah, but ~ I will not dwell on the past and just put my best foot forward and do better this month. It is so cold that I have been staying inside when not necessary to go out. I have no excuse, absolutely none about exercising. I can walk inside the house and have hand weights and nice video's to watch to do exercises with. I need to get a grip and just do it. No one is going to do it for me and that is a fact. I just wish I could pay someone to do it for me. But if wishes were horses than beggers would ride. I just have to get a grip and hang tight to my FOCUS. I have WW this evening and that will be a good start for the months losses. I don't expect a loss this day but can start from this point of weight foreward. I crockpotted a roast covered with onion soup mix and with potatoes, celery and carrots in the pot. Today for the evening meal I think I will make a nice soup out of the left overs.

DONNA FAYE When things melt it is a good sign that the present storm has abated. I remember when we were in MN when it got cold and all the trees were so pretty covered in frost. Then when the melt down started it sounded like gun shots. I understand your husband about his shoes. That is a scarey statement isn't it. But when you find a comfortable pair they become like old friends. Comfortable old friends. When I was in high school I loved my tennies when they got soft and with a couple of holes in the tops. My Mom made sure I had new ones because she saw the condition of mine when I brought my gym clothes home each weekend to be washed. I would take the new ones and put them in my locker and continue to wear the old ones. My teacher pulled me aside and said that if I couldn't afford to buy a new pair of tennies that she would get me a pair. I thanked her for her kindness then opened my locker and she cracked up. Well she demanded (in a kind way) that I give her my old holey ones. I did and she put them on a shelf in her office. They were clean for it was a Monday. She is the one I had to sock in the jaw when she was fighting me when I was saving her from drowning in the pool where she taught us to be life guards. I didn't hit her hard but told her to quit it or I would have to knock her harder. She complied and said that is what life guards have to do sometimes. The person you want to save fights because they are not thinking straight.

JEAN I am so excited for you getting to go on that vacation in the sun. I do hope you can get off the mainland without any holdups. I wish you well and to have a great time and come back with a good report. How is your tanning coming? I remember you mentioned you went for some sessions.

SUSAN Isn't it a blessing to have nice neighbors. We have a neighbor that loves to drive his snowblower rig so he does our sidewalk. He does all the way down the block in front of all the houses, our house and the church. I told Will to get his name and address and I will make him something nice. Maybe fill a jar with some of the soup mixture. I have gotten lots of feedback on that Friendship Soup that I put in jars along with lots of other recipes at Christmas time. Which reminds me one lady wanted the recipe for that soup and so I need to print it out for her before I forget.

All y'all lovelies do have a wonderful frist day of a brand new month. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-01-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #15  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another cold day in my neighborhood but the snow finally stopped during the night. I bet we set a snowfall record this year or close to it. It would be nice to see the sunshine so at least it looks warmer outside. I'm getting a pedicure and manicure after lunch so need to get my chores done first. I'm searching for a pair of slacks that seem to be hiding "somewhere." If I'd only learn to be better organized around here . . . . someday I will!

Susan -- What a nice neighbor to shovel for you! I hope today is a warmer one for you. When will you start going to your new quilting guild group?

Maggie -- I think this week's WW topic is remotivation which we all need at some time . . . me a lot of times! It seems like the world spins around food and what we eat. There are so many more choices that when we were kids that's for sure. That is a cute story about your tennis shoes. I don't tan as easily as Bob does, but I do have a little color. I do it mainly so I won't burn right away. Our whale watching excursions are 2 hours out on the water. I asked yesterday and 20 minutes in a tanning bed equals 2 hours in the sun. My maximum is 16 minutes.

I need to get moving so have a terrific Tuesday, stay warm, and remember to !

Jean -- from Iowa!