Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 05:44 PM   #1  

Question Am I the only 'starch' addict?

Does anybody else think they are addicted to starch? I've heard of carbohydrate addicts, but I don't feel that way about >all< carbs. I don't over do sugar; I don't crave sugar. I know starch is converted to sugar, but it doesn't taste sweet -- do you get what I'm saying? It's starch that does me in: pasta, bread, rice, crackers, potatoes, etc, etc.

In my days of low-fat dieting (which NEVER worked) plain rice (sometimes white, sometimes brown) was a major part of my meal plan. Barley, too. Grilled skinless chicken breast, salad, rice and salsa or homemade pico-de-gallo was my idea of the 'perfect diet meal'. I'd fill my plate, eat, and be full, but usually still wanted MORE rice. I'd try to resist but often couldn't. Then I'd think "well, it's not loaded w/ fat, so I'll be ok" … of course scale barely budged.

I tried the Carbohydrate Addict's diet but I couldn't stomach all the protein. It became a major turn-off. I'm not a vegetarian but you'll never see me going to a restaurant for prime rib …

So … I'm on day 6 of my self-designed "careful carb" plan. I eat lots of low-starch veggies, moderate amounts of fruit, meat (fish, poultry) and dairy, and minimal starch (mainly cereal or whole grain toast at breakfast time). The cravings are fading! I feel good.

I've vowed that I'll only weigh-in once every two weeks so I'm not exactly sure how it's going and I refuse to start weighing-in frequently cuz I get over-confident or discouraged way too easily.

So, how about you? Can you stop at ½ a bagel or do you end up eating the whole thing and then dreaming of a second? Would you rather have a 2nd baked potato than a 2nd piece of chicken?
Old 01-07-2003, 07:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Definitely yes on the whole bagel! I've been eating the bottoms and giving the tops to my husband. If I could eat the potato with butter, I'd go for it rather than the chicken, but if not, then if it's dark meat, I'd take the chicken.

Glad your self-designed plan is going well. It sounds like a well-balanced mix of food, and that's fantastic that the cravings are fading!
Old 01-07-2003, 07:26 PM   #3  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I also am a starch addict. I've been known to eat a half-pound of cooked pasta during TOM!
Old 01-07-2003, 07:26 PM   #4  
acw
Cuddly Kiwi

Steph Hi! I'm fairly new around here too and have had similar problems with food as you. Can I suggest having a look at sugarbusters as is has an emphasis on low gi foods staying away from things like potatoes, white rice, white bread etc. It might be worth a look at the sugarbusters threads and see what you think.

Good luck

Anna
Old 01-07-2003, 08:18 PM   #5  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

yes on the starch!!!

popcorn, pretzels, potatoes, bread, crackers...
not a big sweet person.

I have never understood the low carb thing.. I always assumed that low carb meant low starch - and sometimes that is the only thing that fills me up.

signed,

a huge natural ovens fan!!!
Old 01-07-2003, 08:50 PM   #6  
missaprylj

<-------------------IS A STARCH FREAK!!!

Ohmygosh, if it was healthy (and promoted weight loss) to eat only starches, I would be Gisele.
Trust me, it was a big step for me to go from white to *gasp* wheat bread, (and now, I think white bread is digusting.)
I think going to brown rice is next!! Does anyone eat that? Does it taste any different?
What about wheat-pasta? How does it differ from enriched pasta? Thanks ladies! Peace. Love, Apryl

Old 01-07-2003, 09:20 PM   #7  

I would def. say that I'm a carb addict!!!!!!!

I know I need to cut down, but since my hubby has been back, it has been very hard. But I am back to trying very hard!

Bella23
Old 01-07-2003, 11:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

oh god. i could eat a whole thing of pasta by myself. and baked potato? must be my favorite food. it's gotta have cheese on it, too. pretzels are my favorite snack food. french or sourdough bread...

i just have to keep reminding myself that it's ok to have them, just IN MODERATON.

MODERATION, HOLLY! put DOWN the fork now.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:45 AM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I love love love starches too. Salty carbs, mmmmm.

Brown rice doesn't taste that much different, neither does whole wheat pasta, and they keep you full longer.

Dana, I Loooooove Natural Ovens. Their factory is just north of here, I'd love to know if they would give me a tour or something.

Also, I'm Italian. I could eat spaghetti w/garlic bread 7 nights a week for 5 years & not get tired of it.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:43 AM   #10  

I'm definitely a carb addict -- but the scary thing is that for many years it was like you describe ... starchy foods were my thing - potato chips, bread, pasta, etc. I liked sweet okay, but I could pretty much take them or leave them. Somewhere along the line, I don't remember when -- could it be my first pregnancy? -- I developed a craving for sweets. And it is HARD to shake ... low carbing, fortunately, helps me fight the cravings, but moreso the cravings for sweets than for the starchy foods. Interesting.

BTW, brown rice to me has more of a nutty flavor, almost a subtle crunch to it. IMO it's not so bland as plain white rice.

Pen
265/220/150ish
Old 01-09-2003, 01:14 PM   #11  

I could live on (and did for years) all starches..all carbs.

Bread
Potatoes
Pizza
Pasta
Cereal
bagels!!

Everything and anything. But that's how I gained all my weight too. Doesn't do anything for us.

I would suggest spending some time over in the low carb area...you'll like it.

We are all addicts. Someone who isn't....very very rare.

I don't follow Atkins or anything like that. I do the caveman thing....if it was alive at one time, I can eat it. (meats, veggies, fruits). Manmade food is the worst thing possible.

Old 01-09-2003, 05:53 PM   #12  
Catwoman

The plan your following now Steph does sound like a low G.I plan, it's a really good idea if you don't want to cut the carbs altogether. I'm not into sweets but I love Starch food, love potatoes and rice and pasta. Since they all have lots of cals and carbs I've had to get used to living without them but I still miss them.
I like the sound of the caveman diet, over processed food is the pits and it's so bad for you. I just like things to be as natural as possible, I starting lowcarbing again with the new year and so far I have found it a much easyier woe then low cal, I actually don't have hunger pain and I lose weight! Now that's worth giving up starchs for!
Closed Thread