Old 01-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #1  
In it to win it.

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 67"

Default Great Recipe Discoveries!

So, I made myself lunch today, and it took a few more minutes than popping a Lean Cuisine in the oven, but it was so much more filling, and without all the chemicals! Here it is (it's also low carb and vegetarian, coincidentally):

Saute 3.5 oz mushrooms and 2.5 oz broccoli in a pan with cooking spray.
(41 cal)
Remove from pan, and pour in 1/2 C of egg whites.
(60 cal)
While the eggs are cooking, microwave 2 Morningstar sausage patties. (If you like sausage and haven't tried these, you must! My meat-eating husband will even eat them. If you don't like them, you can send the rest of the box to me. )
(160 cal)
Flip what is now a sheet of egg white, and sprinkle with 1/4 C lite cheese
(80 cal)
Dump some of the veggies on the melting cheese, fold over and put on plate with sausage. Top with 2T salsa.
(10 cal)

That's a huge amount of food for only 351 cal!

Now, tell me your recipes!
alicat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #2  
In it to win it.

Ok. I'll post another one! Lentil Soup! From a mix. 150 cal/ cup. So, two cups for a 300cal lunch!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #3  

I like to make a big pot of eggdrop type soups. I start with broth, add all the low starch veggies I want, maybe some shrimp or chicken. When the veggies are cooked I stir in some egg beaters to make an eggdrop type soup. You can add a few drops of sesame oil, hot sauce, any seasonings that float your boat. I like to garnish it with thinly sliced scallions, red onion, etc.

Depending on how much protein and egg beaters used, this can be a very filling, low calorie meal. If I make enough I save some to dip into later as a snack.

I always lost weight eating this for a lot of lunches in the past. By the time you add up all the calories (depending on what you use), you see it's pretty low calorically. And I never count the calories in my vegetables, so for me it's super low.
lessofme2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #4  
Artsy Fartsy Girl

S/C/G: 268/226/185

Height: 5'6"

My favorite lowcal food is Mexican Vegetable Soup. I use a leftover chicken carcass, cover it with 3 qts of water and simmer it for an hour. Remove the carcass and add diced onions, chopped carrots, chopped head of cabbage, a couple cans of diced tomatoes, a big bunch of chopped fresh cilantro, salt, pepper and a little cumin. Insanely good.

For more calories, add cooked chicken meat and rice. For even more, toss some diced avocado into your bowl, or some toasted tortilla strips or monterey jack cheese.

But I think it's great just plain!

Last edited by dolphinea; 01-27-2010 at 09:35 PM.
dolphinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:49 AM   #5  
In it to win it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessofme2010 View Post
I like to make a big pot of eggdrop type soups. I start with broth, add all the low starch veggies I want, maybe some shrimp or chicken. When the veggies are cooked I stir in some egg beaters to make an eggdrop type soup. You can add a few drops of sesame oil, hot sauce, any seasonings that float your boat. I like to garnish it with thinly sliced scallions, red onion, etc.
That sounds great! Is the protein pre-cooked, or does it cook in the broth?
Old 01-28-2010, 03:50 AM   #6  
In it to win it.

dolphinea, that sounds delicious. Makes me wish I had a carcass!